Old 16-January-2012, 13:51

Question DNS issues

Does anyone else have DNS issues with Tesco? I've just moved across from tiscali/Talk Talk (good riddance) but since then I've been really suffering from DNS lookup failures and delays. I'm not even talking minor sites here, but bbc.co.uk etc. It is really noticable if you go off the beaten track and is nearly unusable if you're in a hurry. I've watched a DNS lookup take over 20 seconds from a webpage (this is when you realise how much you have ad trackers.)

I can't figure out a way of overriding the DNS setting returned to the router by Tesco's DHCP; I'd love to see what effect switching to Google or Open DNS servers would have.

Anyone else suffering like this?

Regards,

mipper
Old 16-January-2012, 21:57

Default Re: DNS issues

just follow the instructions on google to change you pc to there dns or if you can change it on your router.

DNS settings are specified in the TCP/IP Properties window for the selected network connection.

Example: Changing DNS server settings on Microsoft Windows 7

Go the Control Panel.
Click Network and Internet, then Network and Sharing Center, and click Change adapter settings.
Select the connection for which you want to configure Google Public DNS. For example:
To change the settings for an Ethernet connection, right-click Local Area Connection, and click Properties.
To change the settings for a wireless connection, right-click Wireless Network Connection, and click Properties.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
Select the Networking tab. Under This connection uses the following items, select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) or Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and then click Properties.
Click Advanced and select the DNS tab. If there are any DNS server IP addresses listed there, write them down for future reference, and remove them from this window.
Click OK.
Select Use the following DNS server addresses. If there are any IP addresses listed in the Preferred DNS server or Alternate DNS server, write them down for future reference.
Replace those addresses with the IP addresses of the Google DNS servers:
For IPv4: 8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.4.4.
For IPv6: 2001:4860:4860::8888 and/or 2001:4860:4860::8844
Restart the connection you selected in step 3.
Test that your setup is working correctly; see Testing your new settings below.
Repeat the procedure for additional network connections you want to change.

Source Google dns

Tags
bbc, connection, delay, dhcp, dns, failure, google, internet, lookup, network, public, router, settings, sharing, speed, talk, talk talk, tesco, tiscali, windows, wireless