Go Back   The Scream! > COMMUNITY FORUMS > General Chatty Stuff

Old 08-January-2014, 19:25
Foxy Lady

Smile The Toilet Roll Debate - Over or Under??

OK folks, let's see if we can settle this dispute once and for all......

Which is the best way to hang a toilet roll... & why???

Is it A? or is it B? Why do you pick that one??

Old 08-January-2014, 23:41
Scrimper

Default Re: The Toilet Roll Debate - Over or Under??

Most definitely A, No question at all!
A part dropped from the workbench will roll to a degree of un-reachability proportional to its importance.
Old 08-January-2014, 23:46
Foxy Lady

Smile Re: The Toilet Roll Debate - Over or Under??

Most definitely A, No question at all!
Originally Posted by druid View Post
Not good enough druid... why A??? What is the reasoning behind your most definite decision???

Support your argument... try to convince me why A is the better option.
Old 09-January-2014, 07:06
Safe Sane Consensual

Ours is a green house without a toilet roll holder.

We recycle newspapers and if guests come (without their own toilet roll) we would stand a toilet roll on its end. Why isn't standing it on its end and option in this debate?

Old 09-January-2014, 19:14
Foxy Lady

Ours is a green house without a toilet roll holder.

We recycle newspapers and if guests come (without their own toilet roll) we would stand a toilet roll on its end. Why isn't standing it on its end and option in this debate?

Originally Posted by Worldlife View Post
Trust you to be different Worldlife!! There's always one and you are definitely it!!

There isn't that option because that isn't the debate. To stand a toilet roll on it's end is to stand it on it's end, there's only one way doing that, so a debate on it would be useless!!

I can remember having torn pieces of recycled newspaper when I was a child, they were held together with string and hung on a nail in the loo... never did like them, they were scratchy and put ink on your bum!!
Old 09-January-2014, 23:17
Scrimper

Trust you to be different Worldlife!! There's always one and you are definitely it!!

There isn't that option because that isn't the debate. To stand a toilet roll on it's end is to stand it on it's end, there's only one way doing that, so a debate on it would be useless!!
Originally Posted by jenonnet View Post
I suppose he could argue that you could stand it 2 ways with the sheets unrolling either to the left or to the right! Lol.

I can remember having torn pieces of recycled newspaper when I was a child, they were held together with string and hung on a nail in the loo... never did like them, they were scratchy and put ink on your bum!!
Sheer luxury! When I were a lad we could not afford string or newspaper and had to use old bits of worn out rag!
A part dropped from the workbench will roll to a degree of un-reachability proportional to its importance.
Old 10-January-2014, 02:21
Formerly exstreamuser

I've done it both ways. I think it depends on the situation, at least, for me it does.

Currently I use option B because it puts it closer to hand.

Looks wise, option A might be better on a holder like that.

Option B could be considered cleaner on a recessed holder, while option A could be considered neater.

I have one toilet where I have an "official" stand on end holder and I place the loose end on the wall side because otherwise it could either get caught or drape to the floor (likely a combination).

Exchange and Mart is good for recycling for that purpose and you can also make that rhyme!

Anyone remember the shiny single sheet stuff? Izal was one brand. Absolutely useless! Best to scrunch it up and open it out again before use.

Rags? Ewwwwww!
Old 10-January-2014, 19:22
Foxy Lady

I suppose he could argue that you could stand it 2 ways with the sheets unrolling either to the left or to the right! Lol.

Sheer luxury! When I were a lad we could not afford string or newspaper and had to use old bits of worn out rag!
Originally Posted by druid View Post

Bits of rag??!!!! Euwwwwww!!!!

Please don't tell me you washed them out and re-used them druid!!!!

As for Worldlife and the standing on the end for the toilet roll, yes he could argue that you could stand it to the right or the left, if he wanted to be particularly picky... come to think of it, he probably would!! Unfortunately, it still isn't included in the great debate, so is therefore null and void!!
Old 10-January-2014, 19:25
Foxy Lady

Anyone remember the shiny single sheet stuff? Izal was one brand. Absolutely useless! Best to scrunch it up and open it out again before use.
Originally Posted by andrew View Post
I hated San Izal when I was small... why on earth anyone would make a toilet paper that was soooo scratchy and had no absorbency at all I never could understand!! Yeukkkkkkk!!!!
Old 10-January-2014, 21:44
Screamager

Anyone remember the shiny single sheet stuff? Izal was one brand.
Originally Posted by andrew View Post
They used to make blilliant paper planes though, mine glided for ages LOL
Used to wrap it round a comb to make a musical intrument as well.

JT
Old 10-January-2014, 21:53
Safe Sane Consensual

<snip>

As for Worldlife and the standing on the end for the toilet roll, yes he could argue that you could stand it to the right or the left, if he wanted to be particularly picky... come to think of it, he probably would!! Unfortunately, it still isn't included in the great debate, so is therefore null and void!!
Watching a rerun of Fawlty Towers and the problems Basil had with guests reminded me of when my brother in law - who ran a hotel- came to stay.

He pulled the toilet roll so violently that the top casing of the loo fell onto the flush pipe and broke it. Ended up driving to plumbing shop to get a new flush pipe and fit it for the remainder of the holiday.

In the case of violent pulling of the roll would there be more or less structural damage depending on the way the roll was placed over or under in the holder?
Old 10-January-2014, 22:15
Formerly exstreamuser

Originally Posted by jacktar View Post
Yes, yes!

I'd forgotten about these aspects!
Old 11-January-2014, 11:28
Scrimper

JT
Originally Posted by jacktar View Post
It also served as tracing paper being semi transparent.
Old 11-January-2014, 11:39
Scrimper

Bits of rag??!!!! Euwwwwww!!!!

Please don't tell me you washed them out and re-used them druid!!!!
Joking aside. the truth is.......... I was born in a small house in a small village we had neither an inside toilet nor running water. water was fetched from the well and our outside toilet was in fact a bucket under a wooden seat, which my dad had to empty in the garden, if I remember correctly we did use newspaper for wiping!
This was not unique to us; most houses in the village had to use the village well and this situation was the same just after the 2nd world war.

When they build some council houses and we moved in my mother thought it was the height of luxury to have running water in the kitchen and a flush toilet in the house! Even then (1950's) the water was pumped to the houses and only operated at first for a few hours per day!

The little house I was born in still exists but it's now quite different from the hovel it was when we lived there.
Old 11-January-2014, 12:32
Safe Sane Consensual

Here's a follow up tor those who remember toilet tissue or rolls being stamped "Property of HM Government"

Advertisements on toilet paper to wipe out theft of private property

Old 11-January-2014, 12:41
Screamager

Here's a follow up tor those who remember toilet tissue or rolls being stamped "Property of HM Government"
I used unroll my Mums and stamp " The End is Nigh " with my John Bull printing outfit, a few sheets from the end.
Old 12-January-2014, 00:07
Foxy Lady

I don't think it would stop peeps from pinching toilet rolls these days if they had advertisements on them Worldlife... they'd see it as a novelty and nick it because it was different from ordinary, boring rolls!!

As for outside toilets druid, my gran's was in her yard and when my children were small we lived in a terraced house with the loo at the bottom of the yard too... wouldn't mind so much if they'd put it on the end of the house but we had to walk to the bottom of the yard to use it, not so good in the middle of Winter!! We did have running water in the house but only a cold tap, no hot water. I had to boil any hot water I needed either in the kettle or a bucked on the cooker. Had no washing machine either, used to do it all by hand and large items went in the bath!! No central heating either, just a coal fire in the living room... They wouldn't put up with it these days!!

Jacktar... bet you ran your poor mam a right merry dance!! lol
Old 12-January-2014, 10:05
Safe Sane Consensual

I don't think it would stop peeps from pinching toilet rolls these days if they had advertisements on them Worldlife... they'd see it as a novelty and nick it because it was different from ordinary, boring rolls!! <snip>
How about a guarantee then:-

"Soft and kind but your fingers won't penetrate me"
Old 12-January-2014, 12:25
Foxy Lady

How about a guarantee then:-

"Soft and kind but your fingers won't penetrate me"
rofl... good one for toilet paper, would be nice if it would really work!!
Old 12-January-2014, 22:33
Screamer

seriously I have found a way of saving money in using them and make a roll double its use. "use both sides" this saves money and its better than using newspaper as loo paper because the print ends up imprinted in your back side..
Old 13-January-2014, 13:50
Foxy Lady

seriously I have found a way of saving money in using them and make a roll double its use. "use both sides" this saves money and its better than using newspaper as loo paper because the print ends up imprinted in your back side..
Originally Posted by flashgordon1952 View Post

Doesn't everyone use both sides anyway?? Thought that was a normal way of using it.
Old 14-January-2014, 09:34
Safe Sane Consensual

Doesn't everyone use both sides anyway?? Thought that was a normal way of using it.
For hygiene's sake surely no one would use both sides fully! After using side one I might fold in half and then use one quarter of side two for wiping and the other quarter of side two for preventing the fingers going through the tissue. This I reckon makes use of three quarters of the tissue.

On extravagant days I might use two tissues together and it encourages you to wipe harder and avoid finger penetration. Do others also feel that harder wipes can result in fewer wipes? Maybe we need some costing on doubling up costs compared with the total use by those afraid of breaking through a single tissue.

Old 14-January-2014, 10:30
Scrimper

I reckon that this thread is getting a little 'bogged' down!
Old 14-January-2014, 16:21
Foxy Lady

For hygiene's sake surely no one would use both sides fully! After using side one I might fold in half and then use one quarter of side two for wiping and the other quarter of side two for preventing the fingers going through the tissue. This I reckon makes use of three quarters of the tissue.

Ok, if we're being picky, that's what I meant... I wouldn't expect anyone to use one side and then the other without folding it in half first!! Yeukkkk!!!

As for wiping harder to avoid finger penetration... surely if you wiped harder there would be more chance of fingers going through?? Especially if there isn't many tissues in use at the time.
Old 18-January-2014, 15:15
Trance Addict

There is no debate in my house, we have no toilet roll holder !
Old 18-January-2014, 15:38
Foxy Lady

There is no debate in my house, we have no toilet roll holder !
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Do you just stand yours on it's end on the shelf then??
Old 18-January-2014, 17:01
Trance Addict

Do you just stand yours on it's end on the shelf then??
We do exactly that
Old 20-January-2014, 13:07
Safe Sane Consensual

So where do you keep a spare roll and is it hidden behind a lady with a voluminous skirt.

We have ours in a collectors item. It is a bag printed with "Viva Cuba Libre" and it relates to the days of the "Bay of Pigs" and not to the youngsters of today campaigning for consumer goods.

I don't think there were shortages of toilet rolls in Cuba - at least not for tourists.

Anyone have recent experience of having to put used toilet tissue in a waste bin rather than flushing it down the loo? Think I last recall doing this in Turkey about five years ago
Old 20-January-2014, 14:35
Foxy Lady

We have a tall round container with a lid that sits in the corner behind the toilet, it holds 5 spare rolls.

Went to Greece, Afandou to be precise, a few years back & had to put used toilet paper in the bin... seemed very euwwww! at first but by the end of the 2 week holiday it was second nature and felt strange when we came back home to revert to putting it down the loo again!! Strange how you quickly get used to something that seems so unnatural to you at first.
Old 20-January-2014, 15:15
Safe Sane Consensual

We have a tall round container with a lid that sits in the corner behind the toilet, it holds 5 spare rolls. <snip>
How the other half live! You mean you can afford five spare toilet rolls at today's prices!!!!

Tags
bad, compare, government, happy, home, key, law, line, make, offer, public, sharing, shop