Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > TalkTalk

Old 03-March-2008, 20:54
Chetz

Default Slow TalkTalk Speeds :(

Hi,

I signed up for TalkTalk broadband, and got activated on the 29th February. No problems there, as they told me to wait till the end of March eariler. When ordering, I was told I could have upto 7.5mbps broadband.

Since activated, I've only ever recieved under 4.2mbps.

Stats: 19:52 Monday 03/03/08

Standard ADSL2+
Bandwidth Down/Up(kbps) 3513/443

I live 1.2Km from my exchange, and there is Talktalk LLU available there.

Whats the problem?
Old 03-March-2008, 23:14

Default Re: Slow TalkTalk Speeds :(

plug the router into the test socket behind the front plate on the main socket to see if its your extensions making it sync lower.
Old 04-March-2008, 17:37
Chetz

Pretty much the same:

Bandwidth Down/Up(kbps) 3584/443

I was getting 4.1mb on a 4mb connection from my previous provider Tiscali. So it can't be something within my house.
Old 07-March-2008, 00:02
TalkTalkBoy

Chetz, if you want to PM me you line number, ill see if i can get your speed increased
Old 07-March-2008, 22:03
TalkTalkBoy

Hi Chetz,

Give it another try. I've increased your speed from 4.1mbit to 5.8mbit. Give it another try
Old 08-March-2008, 13:45
Chetz

Thanks so much for that.

New stats:
Bandwidth Down/Up(kbps) 5860/443
SNR Margin Down/Up(dB) 11.5/0.0
Attenuation Down/Up(dB) 29.5/14.5
CRC Down/Up 0/634
FEC Down/Up 0/1097057
HEC Down/Up 0/9898

Although I'm still confused about the true speeds im getting:

Is it supposed to be that low?
Old 08-March-2008, 14:01
Austin_KW

That is a very high ping time (should be 50 or less, mine is currently 28ms ping to maidenhead and 50 to london). Try a different test server london etc.

If that does not improve, then disconnect the dsl and reconnect. Sometimes getting a different IP address can get you a less congested route thru the network.

Also you need to test a few times over a few hours as congestion can be temporary.
Old 13-March-2008, 22:01
Chetz

No matter what I try, it's still pretty slow.

What's wrong?
Old 15-March-2008, 12:59
Chetz

Right, I've tweaked the MTU settings.

New actual speed.

Thanks guys.
One last thing, what happened to the 7.5mbps I was told about when signing up?
Old 15-March-2008, 21:47
TalkTalkBoy

Your actual speed depends on many factors such as line length, internal wiring, attached devices, weather, time of day, line quality, external intiference, internal interference etc etc etc.

Until you atually go live, we are unable to see what speed you will definaetly connect at due to all these variables, the 7.5mbit is a figure generated for an average quality line.
Old 18-March-2008, 03:07
jintygal

Unhappy QUARTER OF A MEG, supposed to be on 2mbps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well Mr Talk Talk I hope you can help me, i was advised that I would my line was capable of offering speeds of up to 2mbps, which i am relativly happy with. I have carried out all checks on microfilters, extensions, master socket checks etc...and still only receiving about a quarter of a meg! Im not happy with this and basically if it cannot be resolved I will be moving to a company who can offer me what I require.
Old 15-May-2008, 00:37
DSPCODER

Hi TalkTalkBoy,

I had a problem with an extension cable, now its gone i have checked my router stats and i get the following results. Can i get TT to change the Target SNR to 6db so i can see if i can get improved speed now.

Thanks

..DSPCODER..

# adslctl info --stats
adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 390 Kbps, Downstream rate = 2226 Kbps
Link Power State: L0
Mode: ADSL2
Channel: Fast
Trellis: UN /DN
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime
Down Up
SNR (dB): 15.6 13.6
Attn(dB): 59.5 35.5
Pwr(dBm): 0.0 12.9
Max(Kbps): 2724 360
Rate (Kbps): 2226 390
Old 15-May-2008, 15:07
TalkTalkBoy

DSPCODER can i suggest join the talktalk members forum and ask this to be done. I'd personally go for a 9bd profile before trying 6db.

http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/
Old 15-May-2008, 19:08
DSPCODER

phoned up talk talk said what i wanted it was done within seconds and it doubled my speed . i'm very happy.
Old 17-May-2008, 22:39
Screamager

Has any one done a tracert in command prompt and seen were speedtest .net is located ? it aint in the uk, so high pings somtimes as it is supposed to redirect before it reaches the server for pings but often does not try pinging bbc.co.uk in c prompt that is more reliable, also check netstat to see if/what you are connected to, other sites ect first, such as live av updates other progs that are connected ect the best way of finding out what you d/load speed is find a really fast server such as gamershell.com select a demo the bigger the better and d/load it and monitor how much data you get over a set time this best done when the server is empty usually early mornings 2-of 5 am , but bear in mind distance from your local exchange can be different from your actual line length as they do not always run direct to your home also line quality can play a part, if you are on llu they should be able to improve your ping times and to a degree your download but this could affect you upload speed and vice versa, im on uk online llu and on fast path i get just short of 8mb d/load and 670 out of the 778 upload speeds i also happen to live around 2km from the exchange but can't get much over 8mb as i wanted the 16mb my line must be a lot longer as the snr and att are both reasonable for such speeds and distance from local exchange? but tiscali my previous isp only gave me around 4mb at best on ip data stream and a high fluctuating ping to go with it, useless

Last edited by tommy t; 17-May-2008 at 22:47.
Old 31-July-2008, 13:55
tthlper

website speed tests do not show anything near accurate. I am with 02 and was showing 13mb on my BB connection but when downloading a large file from Microsoft I experienced a much better rate. by the way sync rate can sometimes be very different to dpees rate.

So in short - speed test websites fail on an epic basis - download a large file from a trusted site - microsoft will suit you fine.
Old 29-October-2008, 00:02
dandit

Chetz, if you want to PM me you line number, ill see if i can get your speed increased
Originally Posted by TalkTalkBoy View Post
hi lately my connection has gone slow can you do anything i have been struggling to load google even :S
Old 23-April-2010, 00:57
Steve40ss

Question Re: Slow TalkTalk Speeds :(

I am supposed to get 24meg....lol
I get 7 max when it works..
Disconnected most of the time and after 100's of calls to silly people in India my problem still is there.
NO HELP
I am leaving as I pay for 24m I expect 18m ..
I am 400 yards from the exchange with no other equipment on my line.

Oh and I am a PC broadband installer.

Yea I get messed about by these fools

Leaving in 24 hours if this is not sorted...I am sick
Old 01-May-2010, 16:16
Ragder

I am totally fed up with TalkTalk! It has taken me 2 weeks to get a new router sent to me after dozens of calls, there is one thing they are good at and that is lies, if you want lies then they are the best if you want speed and service they are the worst!!

http://www.speedtest.net/result/800512272.png

I have had engineers from TalkTalk out to say I am at maximum speed !! I think I need to go back to semaphore flag signaling
Old 11-December-2010, 19:37
CHDLondon

I recently moved flats. I am within a couple of miles from where I lived before.
Apart from the fact that TalkTalk charged me reconnection fees twice the price of the connection fee for a first time user, and messed up my plan and degraded me to basic new user account, I have discovered my internet connection speeds have taken a huge blow as well.
They give you the option to cancel within 30 days, and I am quickly running out of time before I am locked with a contract that is not what I had or what is currently advertised by TalkTalk.
Basically, after calling their retention team last weekend, I was told my plan was re-established to pre-move details (good), some money was credited for overpricing on transfer fees (very good) and was promised they would add the Internet Speed Boost (whatever that is).
Alas, and although when calling them again that is indeed active (the boost), the speeds remain as low as 1Mbps! Like having an ISDN line. We get two laptops on there, and even youtube struggles, or online trailers and so on. Pages, including the TalkTalk homepage take forever to load. And that is using both a PC and a MacBook, Windows 7 and OSX, IE, Safari or Chrome. No difference. All online broadband speed tests websites give me the same speed.
Finally, today, we had someone from their tech support run a speed test with us. That was a joke. All he did was ensure I was connecting to the router via Ethernet (which makes no difference whatsoever as it turns out and as I already knew), and just directed me to the TalkTalkmember.com/speedtest page. What a mega joke. Now, I have to take up to 6 reading over 48 hours using the same speed test site on the TalkTalk page, before they can raise this as an issue.
Finally, what annoys me the most is that their advertising suggests speeds of up to 24Mbps. I am not a novice and understand that that is practically impossible, and yet another joke they play on us. But I would at least expect the average for this particular ISP, which is six times more what I am getting at the moment in my area. Mind you the exchanges are so close, I live within the North Circular of London, and the only truly fast connections around are Virgin Media's optical lines. I am not interested in getting such fast speeds, but would expect to be able to be online on the PS3 and still have the ability to load pages speedily.

Overall, I am quite displeased so far, and will try to update you after the 48 hours of speed testing.

BTW, I had to go out and buy and ethernet cable today for the tests. And guess what, it makes no difference, nor would the tech know if I had told him I was connected through the wifi. He only asked me to change one figure in my router specifications, and that was back to what I had a day before, and had the same results each time. Now, during peak time evening hours, I barely hit the 1Mbps mark at all!!!

TalkTalk, what's going on?

Thanks.
CHDLondon
Old 12-December-2010, 03:28
Screamager

Firstly we need to see the routers stats to get this info see this page :Router list providing that your router is in the list,and with the router plugged directly into the "test socket" behind the faceplate of the bt mastersocket, once you got your stats displayed copy & paste here,then we can advise you further as to what speeds your line should be capable of,

other things you can do to see it you have a line fault are perform the quiet line test, using a corded phone if poss, dial 17070 option 2 quite line test, and listen,use secrecy if avail, to prevent you hearing noise from your handset, you should not be able to hear anything apart from the recorded announcement quiet line test, if you are able to hear crackling whistling popping ect, this could be an indication of a ptsn (voice fault) which you will have to report to bt,or who ever you pay line rental to

Old 12-December-2010, 10:24
CHDLondon

Oh, the router is no prob, seeing it was hitting average TalkTalk speeds only a couple of months ago, prior to the move. It's a Netgear DG834GT

System Up Time 19:25:40
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 490593 566270 0 2410 8133 19:24:45
LAN 10M/100M 27128 13759 0 213 74 19:25:36
WLAN 11M/54M 579843 511130 0 8125 2486 19:25:30

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1512 kbps 595 kbps
Line Attenuation 58.5 db 36.9 db
Noise Margin 11.6 db 13.1 db

Tried the test socket and did the trick with the call. I don't find any difference. Tried a separate, different plug which seems to be live in the house as well, getting the same speedtest results.

Is this something that helps so far?
Thank you tommy t.

:-)

Oh, before I posted this, I did a router firmware upgrade, and got a new reading of the stats:

System Up Time 00:02:50
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 491 384 0 694 447 00:01:53
LAN 10M/100M 778 1276 0 1165 1127 00:02:45
WLAN 11M/54M 110 0 0 146 0 00:02:39

Connection Speed 1269 kbps 666 kbps
Line Attenuation 60.0 db 36.8 db
Noise Margin 12.4 db 12.6 db

Downstream speed now shows closer to speedtest results. I have tried to find if there is some sort of limiter on the router forcing the speeds to this level, but there is no such thing.
Again, thanks.
Old 12-December-2010, 18:26
Screamager

What adsl mode are you connecting/using ADSL G.DMT ,ADSL2, ADSL2+,?
i ask as due to distance from exchange 4.+km you will probably only see around 2600 on a good day based on the attenuation of 58-60db, if you are connecting with adsl2+ then you could try forcing a sync using ADSL G.DMT as some times it will give a higher sync,the snr is quite high 12db, if set to 6db (default) you should see an increase in sync speed
There is no rate limit in the router affecting the speed you are able to get, only line length and snr level the distance you are stuck with , the snr can be changed,but this could also cause it to disconnect frequently as noise degrades some of the tones/frequencies of the adsl signal

Did you have the router plugged into the Test Socket ?To ensure that any extension or other connected device isn't part of the problem you are having, as using the test socket if you have one, will isolate them whilst to conduct tests
If after doing this,there is no significant improvement then maybe contacting tt support via the tt user forums asking for your profile to be changed from 12db to 6db ,switching to fast path may also give you a bit more speed, but can be at the cost of instability on poorer quality or long lines , still no harm in trying it, you could always get interleave switched on again, i would also ask if DLM could be disabled too

Old 12-December-2010, 20:36
CHDLondon

Tommy t, thanks for your input. And attempt at shedding some light.
However, and although I am not sure about which ADSL type I am on, I think that is a totally moot point.
And will explain. I am located in a busy London neighbourhood, and my router shows to be 800yards, not kilometers, not miles, but 800 yards, 0.8m, about a kilometre away from the telephone exchange.
There is no technical reason why this speed should be so low, unless it's TalkTalk causing it. My equipment is the same as a month ago, the phone lines in the house are in perfect working order, and what it all boils down to is a technical issue or bad service from my ISP.
I am logging the speedtest results as they asked me to, and will be calling them tomorrow morning to see what they have to say.
I mean, from the advertised of UP TO 24Mbps, and an average ISP speed in the locality of at leat 6Mbps, for me to be getting 1Mbps, and during busy peak times not even that, I am sure it's not a fault with me. Besides, where does it say the consumer should be going through all this effort and trouble to get what the company is contracted to do in the first place? Not in 2010! Sorry.
But thanks for your attempts at help.
:-)
Old 12-December-2010, 22:33
Screamager

with the stats that you posted taken from your router
Connection Speed 1512 kbps 595 kbps
Line Attenuation 58.5 db 36.9 dbNoise Margin 11.6 db 13.1 db
see chart yourstats. as reported by router-peed_est_att=58.5 would indicate that your line is a lot longer than what you seem to think it is,also adsl mode type does /can make a difference on a poor quality or long line this ain't b*llsh*t it's fact,Estimate of speed at 800mregardless of your distance to the exchange that you may or may not be connected,or the line itself is very poor(cable quality) or there is some problem with internal extensions or anything that is your side of the bt master socket, as that as the bt engineer will tell you is your responsibility and should it be found to be so,at the time by the bt openreach engineer you could well end up paying for that sfi visit, as your isp may pass any charge on to you, and should there also be a problem with bt's part of the line too, you could well still have that problem, hence why i suggested that you isolate all internal connected extensions (if they are present) so you can demonstrate that you have done all you can, and are clear that it aint down to something within your control, but if you don't want to do that then fine no one can help you here further, oh and my attenuation by the way is 28db i get a 19mb sync on a 4db target snr +true fastpath, some testers report my line length as being 900m, but i know it is greater than this,prob around 2km thats why attenuation is more reliable than the online checker details

Last edited by tommy t; 13-December-2010 at 01:53.
Old 27-December-2012, 18:03

Talking Re: Slow TalkTalk Speeds :(

Well I have just added the YouView subscription (it's being 'installed' on 5 January) but as a result my speed has been 'boosted'.

Given that TalkTalk are the only ones in our exchange (except BT that is)!

Tags
adsl, adsl2, bbc, broadband, bt, cable, company, connection, google, handset, happy, home, internet, isp, line, make, master socket, netgear, network, online, orange, phone, router, settings, slow, speed, speeds, talk, talk talk, talktalk, tiscali, virgin, windows