Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Hardware > ADSL Router Mods

Old 24-August-2013, 16:28

Default Re: [NEW] Orange "Bright Box" router hacking :-)

is this hack to unlock brightbox to use it for all isps or what ?
thanx for info
Old 16-September-2013, 18:28
Screamer

Hello, Is this thread still Active?

Thanks Unlokia, for all your hard, work! or Gloosywhite from Modaco Thanks for all your work on the Orange San Diego!

Please reply or post baCK!

Cheers!
Old 18-September-2013, 16:06
Screamager

Hello, Is this thread still Active?

Thanks Unlokia, for all your hard, work! or Gloosywhite from Modaco Thanks for all your work on the Orange San Diego!

Please reply or post baCK!

Cheers!
Originally Posted by markhuges View Post
I am both , and thank you for the kind compliments - others have done a lot more too, so I extend all thanks to all contributors, not just to myself

You are welcome, for what I have done.
Old 10-October-2013, 21:07
Screamager

I put these URLs into a browser on a machine in my network... a machine that has NEVER connected to the router pages... and it gives up PLAIN TEXT security data... try them youselves.

The machine was not even logged in on the router!

Brower: "Give me all your security credentials"

Router: "Oh, okay!"

http://192.168.1.1/cgi/cgi_status.js?t=1381432913046

http://192.168.1.1/cgi/cgi_wifi_wpa.js?t=1381433787099

http://192.168.1.1/cgi/cgi_atmint.js?t=1381434119553

http://192.168.1.1/cgi/cgi_status.js?t=1381434119550

http://192.168.1.1/cgi/cgi_security_...=1381434403382

http://192.168.1.1/cgi/cgi_wireless_...=1381434403382
Old 21-October-2013, 14:35
Screamer

I've got a new router with another ISP, family is moaning that the signal strength isnt as good as the Brightbox, Anyway I can use the brightbox as a repeater / bridge? I've not played with the brightbox in a few months and have forgotten alot, I've been building a PIDSPINO Motor speed controller with Arduino.

I want to put the brightbox in the middle of the house and boost signal for everyone, which is most applicable, a bridge or a repeater?
Old 21-October-2013, 14:57
Screamer

Its ok Google is my friend :-)
Old 24-January-2014, 10:23

Not sure if this will get me anywhere as the last post here was 4 months ago.

Fantastic work by you guys in supplying info which to be honest is over my head. Well some it.

Is it possible to setup some sort remote access or VPN on this brightbox router. I just want to allow my daughter access to the usb drive I have in usb slot, but from her house
Old 06-July-2014, 21:57
Screamer

This is possible but I don't how you will do it with the easy method (unlockias web method above)

You can fiure it out tho with firebug, or can follow my method previously posted but change
Step 11 to..

/bin/util_ccfg_cli set username@wanETH=YOORUSERNAME@myISP.com

instead of username@wan#001

to do it the easy way you will need to find the variable that is assigned to that config value in the script, so for username@wan#001 the variable was something like ISP_Username1 so it will be different for the wanETH (might even be ISP_Username2 if your lucky).
Originally Posted by whitenight639 View Post
I've got unlockia's method to work for BT Infinity (Openreach modem).

setCfg("ISP_Username","bthomehub@btbroadband.com")

Note that there is no "1" in the "ISP_Username" string.

The Brightbox I have has v0.10.06.0001-OT (Wed Jan 22 22:50:41 2014) firmware. The line to click is 607.
Old 11-July-2014, 14:13
Screamer

Since I don't use fibre, I have no idea, sorry!
Originally Posted by unlokia View Post
Use unokia's method but with "ISP_Username" instead of "ISP_Username1". (No trailing "1".)

I'm posting this through a Brightbox and BT Infinity using after using:
setCfg("ISP_Username","bthub@btbroadband.com")

BTW my Brightbox has 2014 firmware and line 607 (rather than 606) was the one I clicked.
Old 16-July-2014, 18:37
Screamer

Apologies for repeated info above. It took the moderator so long to approve my first post that I though it had got lost in the deserts of the internet. :0
Old 24-July-2014, 21:44
Screamager

Default New, Bright Box 1, patched (2014) firmware - manual install

Here is the freshly ripped, latest firmware for Bright Box 1:

Updates you to:
Runtime Code Version: v0.10.06.0001-OT (Wed Jan 22 22:50:41 2014)

Please see Scott Helme's fine article for more details:

https://scotthelme.co.uk/ee-brightbox-router-hacked/

Firmware download:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/hnbzdf

Follow this guide to update your Bright Box 1 to the latest (vulnerability-patched firmware, which was released in response to Scott Helme's fine work, earlier this year):

http://the-scream.co.uk/forums/showp...&postcount=229

## Don't wait for EE to update your Bright Box 1 - do it yourself, now - if you wait for EE, you could be waiting another two years! ##

!! IMPORTANT NOTE !!

If your bootloader (Advanced setup >> System) is newer than:

"Boot Code Version: v1.00.09.0002-OT (Wed Nov 9 10:21:21 2011)"

... then I wouldn't advise updating the bootloader image in this ZIP, as it is very likely older than your current installed bootloader. I had to downgrade mine for experimenting, last week, *before* I discovered my NAND backup method. It should work just fine - my Bright Box 1 is using the older (downgraded) bootloader and I have no issues.

[EDIT]

The bootloader may be updated by using the "bootldr" file inside THIS archive:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r7e4zvfyyo...e_Rip.zip?dl=1

Thank you

Last edited by unlokia; 25-July-2014 at 14:03.
Old 15-September-2014, 13:52

I have a relatively new Brightbox from EE and would like to access the internal control (ideally to allow DHCP requet passthrough, which doesn't seem to happen). Now, from the posts in this thread and ulokia's youtube video, I know that to gain access I need to go 198.168.1.1/u132xzp32aai.htm, and that the password can be determined as follows:

I have examined the javascript of the hidden web pages for the new EE firmware and I saw that the variable "hidepage" was read from the config. Also the protection.htm page called was referring to the variable "hidekey"

Code:
var hidepage=getCfg("hidepage");
if(hidepage==0)
{
    window_location_replace("parent.mainFrame", "protection.htm?pg=z983erv3210ba.htm");
}
else
{
    // Do original stuff here
}
My first thought was to use fiddler2 to respond with a modified page with the config checking removed. This worked a dream, but a bit complicated for a novice to setup.

I then noticed that "hidepage" and "hidekey" were among the list of TR069 parameters in the system section, so I though about setting this to something other than zero with the commands listed previously.

Code:
root@BrightBox:/ # /bin/util_ccfg_cli showcfg

Section: system
lang_code=0
time_zone=PST8PDT
gui_style=1
remote_mgmt_en=0
remote_mgnt_ip=0.0.0.0
remote_mgnt_mask=255.255.255.255
host_name=
wan_type=0
active_wan_type=1
ppp_pass_thru=0
default_ip=192.168.1.1
ccfg_bk_fname=backup.bin
hidepage=0
hidekey=5;m6ek
I though what the heck, lets try the string 5;m6ek as the password and it worked.
Originally Posted by mike-williams View Post
However, how do you get this information if you haven't already got telnet access? I want the password in order to enable telnet access!

Thanks.
Old 15-December-2014, 10:20

This is possible but I don't how you will do it with the easy method (unlockias web method above)

You can fiure it out tho with firebug, or can follow my method previously posted but change
Step 11 to..

/bin/util_ccfg_cli set username@wanETH=YOORUSERNAME@myISP.com

instead of username@wan#001

to do it the easy way you will need to find the variable that is assigned to that config value in the script, so for username@wan#001 the variable was something like ISP_Username1 so it will be different for the wanETH (might even be ISP_Username2 if your lucky).
Originally Posted by whitenight639 View Post

To change for fibre username and password using the easy way, i had to put ISP_Username without any digit to the end. Hope to work4you.
Old 12-January-2015, 20:36

Spent an age trying to get my EE brightbox to work with Plusnet, after downgrading to the correct firmware (bootcode was already the same as the one specified), I got as far as having CHAPs fail (as per the logs).

The issue I found was hidden in the youtube comments (credit to Adam Pollard). Basically setCfg("ISP_Password1","password") was not saving the password correctly, apparently it truncates it to 3 characters (according to the comment).

The workaround is simple - just enter the correct password in the input box on the page, follow the steps but only input setCfg("ISP_Username1","username") part.

This worked for me, just adding this tip to the thread because others might miss it or run into the same issue!
Old 13-January-2015, 13:08

has anyone managed to use their brightbox on another ISP using the most upto date firmware (2014)?

I had to downgrade before realising it was other issues (described in my post above) that was causing me problems.
Old 26-January-2015, 01:12

Has anybody successfully managed to connect a Brightbox to their Sky ADSL broadband? I've followed the instructions, downgraded my software, changed the username & password via Chrome (acquired using Wireshark), and everything looks good, however I just can't pick up an IP address. The box can see the signal and can tell me my upload & download speeds etc, but just no crucial connection.
Anybody know if there's something else required?
Old 31-May-2015, 03:13

Hi,

Did you resolve this problem of using a BB on Sky broadband ?

Has anyone logged in to it OK on SKY ?
Old 23-November-2015, 00:21
Screamer

HELP!!
Hi there I'm new to this site.
I was an EE BB customer from July 2014-15 then I moved back to Sky at the end of my 1st year's contract. I am trying to be able to use the password reset detailed in this post but I could only find a file called broadband.htm when I keyed F12 etc. When I clicked on this I only saw a number 1 in the text window.
I decided to download the EE firmware (which I think now is older than what I had. I did this successfully and the router rebooted but it will no longer accept the original username &/or password as they've obviously been wiped with the firmware change.
So now I can't even login to try install my own username and password for sky. Could I please have the login details and is it possible to reset the original router details as well?

Thanks in advance.
Old 23-November-2015, 21:37
Screamer

UPDATE
Hello again.
Since my post yesterday the router suddenly started to accept the login details so the firmware upgrade/downgrade hasn't wiped the basic router settings-phew!

I have managed to carry out the password reset to my own non @fs details. However, I'm a little concerned that the firmware now being run is older than what was there before-the router access pages certainly look different to before-and associated vulnerability issues.

System shows:
Runtime code version: v.0.10.06.0001-OT (Wed Jan 22 22:50:41 2014) & Boot code version: v1.00.10.0006-OT (Fri Sep 21 03:00:26 2012).

I understand there is a December 2014 version but I can't find a download for it and as I'm no longer with EE I can get an auto update. Has anyone managed to make a download version yet?
TIA.
Old 21-May-2017, 18:55
Screamer

Hey guys

I've followed the guide to use my bb with Sky, it inserts the username and password, broadband state is connected, internet state is connected, but I'm getting no internet on any of my devices :S

If I reboot the router, broadband state says connected, but internet state now says disconnected, it doesn't show any subnet, gateway or dns :S

I'm running the original firmware linked in the guide, the firmware is dated 2012, can't find any more recent rips online.

Would appreciate any advice.

Cheers
ES

Tags
419, adsl, beauty, brightbox, broadband, compare, delay, dhcp, dns, feature, files, firmware, flash, hack, hacking, home, key, line, lock, make, mobile, nat, network, orange, port, product, router, settings, sharing, tools, web, wireless