Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Hardware

Old 11-November-2012, 20:04
Foxy Lady

Question USB Ports not working... Please help

Does anyone have any idea why my USB ports have stopped working??

I re-formatted my hard drive & loaded everything on again, including the drivers from the disc I had with my PC. I have since updated all the drivers but still can't get the USB ports working.

Please help!! I'm completely stuck. I've had the side off the PC, checked all the connections, etc., all the drivers have been updated but still the computer doesn't see the ports.

Altogether I have 8 ports, four together at the back, which are working, two more sitting together at the back which are not working & two together at the front which are not working. The computer isn't seeing them at all, they don't show in Windows Explorer or in the hardware settings.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-November-2012, 21:50
Trance Addict

Default Re: USB Ports not working... Please help

Any ideas what mother board you have at all ? It seems like the chipset drivers are missing which would explain why the USB ports are not working - although in theory they should work on a very basic level.

May also be worth having a look in the BIOS to makesure they haven't been disabled somehow or they operating in legacy mode for some reason, that usually throws out the operating system.
Old 11-November-2012, 22:25
Foxy Lady

Smile Re: USB Ports not working... Please help

I've got a disc that came with it that says ASRock on it if that's any help. Am using my lappy right now & have to connect the PC up again before I can boot it up & have a look to see what it says.

Will check the BIOS too when I get a chance to link it all up again. Thanx Behemoth.
Old 12-November-2012, 11:29
Screamager

http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/s...ad.php?t=26632

Old 12-November-2012, 18:21
Screamer

Have a look in device manager, are there any devices with ! next to them. try right click and update device driver. Also have seen many problems miraculously solved by just getting all the windows updates done after a windows reinstall! this can be painfully long especially with service packs involved so MANY restarts and rechecks I'm afraid
Old 13-November-2012, 15:55
Trance Addict

I've got a disc that came with it that says ASRock on it if that's any help. Am using my lappy right now & have to connect the PC up again before I can boot it up & have a look to see what it says.

Will check the BIOS too when I get a chance to link it all up again. Thanx Behemoth.
Originally Posted by jenonnet View Post
Asrock, yes bacially the budget brand of Asus, don't suppose you know the model number of the board do you ?
Old 13-November-2012, 19:31
Foxy Lady

It's an N68C-S UCC, if that's any help.

Apparently The Only NVIDIA GeForce 7025 Chipset Motherboard that Supports Unlock CPU Core... whatever that is!!

Hope this helps

Last edited by jenonnet; 13-November-2012 at 23:24.
Old 14-November-2012, 16:25
Trance Addict

So in that case, all you need to do is download the latest drivers from mvidia for that chipset.

Are you running an intel or AMD cpu ?
Old 15-November-2012, 22:43
Foxy Lady

AMD I think but not sure. Will check when I get chance to switch it on again (not near it right now).
Will also download the latest drivers from the website too, see if that works.
Thanks Behemoth
Old 24-November-2012, 01:04
Foxy Lady

Question Re: USB Ports not working... Please help

It's deffo an AMD. Have tried everything I can think of now, nothing works. Have been onto manufacturer, they don't know why it's happened either & everything they've suggested hasn't worked!!

It shouldn't be this difficult to re-format your PC!! I've done it with my old PC's numerous times without any probs... get a new PC & it just continues to prove difficult to do the simplest of tasks!! Grrrrrrr!!!!!!
Old 24-November-2012, 13:33
Screamer

Have you done ALL the windows updates?? Keep trying updates until it says no more updates available What version of windows are you installing
Ron
Old 24-November-2012, 15:58
Trance Addict

Possible then that the USB ports on the motherboard itself have failed.
Old 25-November-2012, 20:07
Foxy Lady

I initially installed Windows XP, ronb62... & all updates were done. Thinking that maybe it had decided it didn't like XP anymore, I have now installed Windows 7 and have updated all updates to date but it still isn't working.

It seems strange, Behemoth, that the front ones & the back ones I fitted have suddenly gone together but the back 4 that are situated in the middle with all the other connections are still working???

I'm about ready to chuck it through the nearest window!!
Old 27-November-2012, 14:44
Optimistic Curmudgeon

You say the front and back ones you fitted have gone, so have you removed them and their connection to the MoBo and checked that the contacts are clean and undamaged before replacing them again ?

Did they have any kind of installation disc with them with drivers on it ?

Are they the same spec (i.e USB 1, USB 2 or USB3 ) as the other group of 4 which still are working ?
Old 29-November-2012, 02:11
Foxy Lady

The front ones were already there when I bought the PC Centaur, I only fitted the 2 back ones myself and they were sent to me from the manufacturer of the PC. As they sent them, I presume they were the same spec as the others. There was no installation disc with them, they said I didn't need one, I just had to plug them into the MoBo.

I've now re-set the BIOS to factory defaults, just in case, although I didn't change anything in there but you never know, I'm trying to cover all eventualities... they still don't work.
Old 29-November-2012, 06:14
Screamette

VERY frustrating
Old 29-November-2012, 12:24
Optimistic Curmudgeon

Have you tried the oldest 'fix' for this and many other weird faults ?

This is, powering down the PC and unplugging it from the mains, hold down the 'on' button for about a minute and then release. Leave 'puter alone for a few hours, say 4 and then reconnect to mains and turn on again. Test faulty USB ports, whilst saying silent prayer, crossing fingers and revolving on own axis thrice...............................

Good luck !

P.S. I'm serious about the 'puter bit, it's very odd but it has worked for many people.
Old 30-November-2012, 01:11
Foxy Lady

lol, you're right there Tia, very, very frustrating indeed!!

pmsl... think I'll pass on the rotating on own axis bit centaur but will deffo try the puter trick... never know, it just might work... nothing else has!! lol Thanx
Old 01-December-2012, 11:14
Screamer

question?
Your Mobo, is it one of those that has the extra power input plug from the power supply?
Check this is fully seated if so. Insufficient power can caused this symptom.
Ron
Old 01-December-2012, 11:20
Screamer

Another thought! try-- Control panel > device manager > universal serial bus controllers > go through each of the usb root hub devices look at power management untick allow computer to turn off. May take a reboot, not sure
Ron
Old 01-December-2012, 12:39
Screamette

What would we do without these computer geniuses helping us!
Old 20-December-2012, 21:58
Foxy Lady

Thank you very much all for you help & suggestions. You're right Tia, what would we do without them... unfortunately this time nothing seems to work. I've been onto the place I bought it from too, done all the stuff they suggested too, still no luck. It's now going back to base to be sorted after Christmas, just had enough of it!!

Don't know what's the matter with them recently... I have two PC's right now (in the process of selling one) ... both have gone kaput!! The other one refuses to open the DVD drawer, so I can't use that either as I needed to install Windows 7 on it & the bloody drawer won't open so I can get the CD in!!

Thank you again folks, your help was greatly appreciated.
Old 21-December-2012, 11:20
Trance Addict

Does your other PC take an IDE DVD drive or SATA ? If takes an IDE one I may have a spare one you can have for nothing. Sony branded, black I know it works, but can test to makesure.
Old 25-December-2012, 13:12
Foxy Lady

Does your other PC take an IDE DVD drive or SATA ? If takes an IDE one I may have a spare one you can have for nothing. Sony branded, black I know it works, but can test to makesure.
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Awww Behemoth, that's really kind of you. How do I find out which one mine takes??
Old 26-December-2012, 17:33
Optimistic Curmudgeon

Awww Behemoth, that's really kind of you. How do I find out which one mine takes??
Originally Posted by jenonnet View Post
I've also got an IDE drive you can have free.
If you Google IDE connector and SATA connector and compare them to whatever you have in your PC, you'll work it out ok. They are very different.
Old 28-December-2012, 00:41
Foxy Lady

I've also got an IDE drive you can have free.
If you Google IDE connector and SATA connector and compare them to whatever you have in your PC, you'll work it out ok. They are very different.
Originally Posted by centaur View Post

Wow, Centaur, thanks too, you're both so kind. I have checked & found out that it is a SATA connector & guess what... I took it out the other day, messed about with it a bit, put it back in & connected it all up again & lo & behold it works again now!!

Don't know what the hell was the matter with it but it seems to be OK for now. Thank you both sooo much for your generous offers, your help & kindness is most appreciated.
Old 28-December-2012, 19:11
Trance Addict

Ideal, I do that sometimes and it's amazing what works after you have a bit of a fiddle.
Old 29-December-2012, 00:29
Foxy Lady

Ideal, I do that sometimes and it's amazing what works after you have a bit of a fiddle.
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
You're not wrong there Behemoth!! Thanks for your help & kind offer though, it was mighty good of you.
Old 29-December-2012, 19:47
Optimistic Curmudgeon

My pleasure Jen <blushing smiley> and Happy new year to you and all the other Scream members !
Old 30-December-2012, 01:24
Foxy Lady

And to you & yours Centaur. May 2013 prove to be your year.

Tags
christmas, compare, computer, connection, dvd, free, google, happy, hub, intel, offer, sata, settings, windows