Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Networking

Old 21-June-2007, 22:27
tore567

Default Re: Make Your Own Router - secrets revealed

Hope someone can help.
I’m trying to get IPCOP working with a Pentium1 machine with 2 realtek cards and a sportstar flash v90 US Robotics internal dialup modem. All 3 are working fine.
Problem arises when I try and set up the red interface “in the network configuration page” I get an error message that says, “your network is setup for a single green interface, which already has a driver assigned” Can’t select the 1st option, in the network configuration page –as the quick-start document says I have to do, in the IP COP 1.4.15 flash package.

Farther on too, I can’t access the web-interface. Really lost at present 

The green interface is set to 192.168.1.1, as the quick start document advises.
Internal IP of my main pc is 192.168.0.1. This also has a network card (realtek), which I installed, so that my dreambox satellite receiver could access the net.
I can select “green + red”, on the network configuration page, but the quick-start document stresses this is only for a USB modem, not internal?

Again. hope someone can help, as I don’t know what to do 
Old 23-June-2007, 00:44
tore567

since I posted, I've managed to get ipcop working on the green interface, with my internal us robotic modem. So that was some success. Turned out it was a faulty network cable. But my main problem now is, I can't access the net with my 2nd network card (both realtek)
In the setup this was detected on the ipcop machine (pentium1), and assigned the orange interface 192.168.3.1
I've tried pinging it, but get a timed-out reply. It's also listed as eth1 (in orange) on the network status page when I sign in as administrator?

Can anyone offer any advice
Old 23-June-2007, 00:58

where are you trying to ping it from? a PC plugged into the green interface / network ?

I think you will need to ping it from something plugged into the orange interface / network,. which has the right subnet mask + ip address - should work?

Sil

PS, welcome to TS!
Old 23-June-2007, 14:34
tore567

Thanks for coming back silver to help
Since my last post I changed the TCP/IP settings in the computer (using winxp) to detect a static ip 192.168.3.1, if auto failed, and I managed after to ping the orange interface... So both cards are working.. But I still can't access the net by my dial-up setup with the orange interface? Only the green.

Has the orange also a web-interface, that can be accessed like the green interface to get into an admin page?

This is what I'm trying to do.. I have a dreambox dm7000 sat receiver which is accessing the net through the network card (realtek. All cards I have are realtek) in my main pc. Its network settings are
IP 192.168.0.24
Netmask 255.255.255.0
Nameserver 192.168.0.1
Gateway 192.168.0.1

I tried changing the nameserver and gateway in the network settings in the dreambox to 192.168.1.1, to see if I could access the net through the green interface, but this was also unsuccessful. So as things stand presently, I can access the net and admin pages by the green interface only, with my main pc, but can't with my dreambox.. (I have only these two using the net in my home) Any help would be appreciated

Really liked reading how to do this here.... and it's great there is still help at hand

I'm just wondering Silver, is there any facility for turning on file and printer sharing in ipcop? I'm very new to using a router, and only know if you want to share files by a network-card on the pc, you have to set this option.

I tried also setting it to auto detect settings on my main pc to access the orange interface, but the ping came back negative.. Only when I went back into the "internet protocol TCP/IP" settings (on the main pc using xp) and changed the "alternative configuration" to
IP: 192.168.3.1
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
default gateway: 192.168.3.1
Did it again successfully pinged the orange interface.. Can't understand why I can ping it, but not access it by web-interface, or internet?

Last edited by tore567; 23-June-2007 at 18:37.
Old 23-June-2007, 20:40

the orange network is for servers which you need to be internet accessible (e.g. webserver or mailserver with accepts incoming connections) and separate from the normal PCs (which would be on green) there's no dhcp on orange and no dns server as the ipcop box does not trust boxes on orange (since they are i'net visible they may get compromised)

for boxes on orange you need to hardcode the IP address (or setup a dhcp server on another orange box) and use the ISPs or some other external DNS server

Sil

PS, I don't know what the sat receiver does but are you sure it needs to be accessible from the i'net (which is different to whether it does itself require access to the i'net)
Old 23-June-2007, 20:52

PS, is some info on DMZ and why @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demilit...28computing%29
Old 24-June-2007, 13:52
tore567

This might help to explain things better Silver…. The dreambox is actually a linux based receiver.. Before trying out IPCOP as a router firewall, I had this address in the dreambox 192.168.0.24 (static ip)
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Name server: 192.168.0.1
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
Port 80 (used port on dreambox)

I was then accessing the net by the network card in my pc (as I’ve only got the one pc + the dreambox) by enabling the option “File and printer sharing for Microsoft networks” And this worked fine when I didn’t have IPCOP.

But I’ve added IPCOP so as to have far more better security for my home network, plus the benefits of options like port-forwarding.

I know presently I have these two interfaces set up (I changed to blue after reading what you wrote last night, and thanks for the info regarding DMZ ) A green with an IP address of 192.168.1.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 A blue with an IP address of 192.168.2.1. Both have a DHCP server enabled. Green has a start address of: 192.168.1.10 And an end address of 192.168.1.30. Blue has a start address of 192.168.2.10 And an end address of 192.1682.30 Default lease time for both is 60, with a max lease time of 120
Primary and secondary DNS servers was got by typing in the DOS window ipconfig /all And is correct. And both blue and green interfaces have the same DNS server information

All these are presently running in IPCOP. Cron server, dhcp server, dns proxy server, intrusion detection system blue, intrusion detection system green, intrusion detection system red, kernel logging server, logging server, web server (maybe too many things are presently running, as I’m new to IPCOP, router usage?)

I know in the previous setup where my satellite receiver was accessing the net, “file and printer sharing for Microsoft networks” had to be ticked in the “local area connection properties” otherwise I wouldn’t be able to connect. Is there something similar in IPCOP, some function like “file and printer sharing”, which you need also to activate?

The IP address in my satellite receiver of 192.168.0.24 is static.. And I have changed the Name Server to 192.168.2.1, and the Gateway to 192.168.2.1 –but still have no success in connecting to the net

Hope you can shed some light on things.. And thanks again for returning back to me to offer assistance
Old 24-June-2007, 16:23

if the satellite receiver is connected to the blue network then it's IP should be in the range 192.168.2.10 - 192.168.2.30 generally with a subnetmask of 255.255.255.0 or just set it to obtain it's IP via dhcp,.

I think if your PC and satellite receiver communicate to each other (?) via windows file and print sharing then they will need to both be on the same network (e.g. both on green)

Sil
Old 25-June-2007, 13:36
tore567

Sil, I still haven't got it working.. If I install a switch/hub will this get them both working on the same green network...? and will my satellite receiver be able to access the net then? I'm really very new to this.. And some success of getting IPcop working to begin with, makes only another hurdle now of getting my dreambox working

I tested I can ping both the green and blue interfaces, so blue is working, but still wont allow me use it for net access for my satellite receiver?

I think what I just need to know, as everything was working fine with my old setup, (using file and printer setup for microsoft networks) using a Satellite receiver static IP of 192.168.0.24 Netmask 255.255.255.0 Type LAN Nameserver 192.168.0.1 Port80

What do I need to do now to get the above to work with IPCOP? (Say if I treat the dreambox as just another computer I want net access for) Sorry for going on and on about this

And thanks again Sil, for helping
Old 25-June-2007, 15:30

no worries

yep, if the satellite receiver can obtain it's IP via dhcp then plug it into a hub on the green network and it should just work as before.

the only reason to use orange is for i'net servers and blue is again partly protected network (I think?) if you just want to connect PC-like devices then you just need one network internally which is green

Sil
Old 25-June-2007, 17:05
Former TS! Team

Blue is for wireless network.

I'm confused, is the satellite box a tv receiver or satellite's broadband?
If it's your satellite broadband, you will need to plug it into the red zone.
Old 26-June-2007, 00:52
tore567

Sil, thanks for that bit of hopeful news In a few days I should have a hub set up, so I'll let you know how things go.. Just for interest, which would you say is the better to use in my situation. A hub or switch? Or is there really much difference

Again, thanks
Old 26-June-2007, 01:10
tore567

Memfis, thanks for the reply I'm just using dial-up with IPCOP. And the satellite box has nothing to do with a broadband connection... Just normal dish antenna.. I was hoping to use the blue interface for the dreambox sat receiver, and use the green for the main pc (as I've only the sat receiver and pc using the net -both hooked by crossover LAN cable) But I understand now from Sil, I need to keep both on the green interface..

Anyway, it's great there is help here.. And having started with IPCOP, I really like the program, and find like many have said, a faster connection, which is really great, when you have a slow dial-up speed.

Anyway, I'll keep "yea" posted how I get on

Bye for now And thanks again Sil
Old 04-July-2007, 19:40
tore567

Got the dreambox working through the LAN switch... So thanks for that Sil, have been trying to install "Copfilter" following the outlined installed procedure on the site, but get back this error message each time.

# cd /root
# tar xzvf Copfilter-0.84.tgz
tar (child): Copfilter-0.84.tgz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exit now
tar: Child return status2
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

I'm not even sure how to "Change the directory", as part of the install procedure, think this might be why I'm getting the message, No such file or directory

Any suggestion appreciated.. And thanks for comig back so quickly last time Sorry that I'm such a newbee to Linux

I'm OK WITH WinSCP, as this is like using FTP which I do all the time with my dreambox -Linux based software. Problem I think is in using the Command Lines in the Putty program in WinSCP to install Copfilter?

Any help welcome

Last edited by tore567; 05-July-2007 at 13:00.
Old 10-July-2007, 19:13
addict

Unhappy Re: Make Your Own Router - secrets revealed

Hi guys! I've been reading the first 18 pages of this tread, but i couldn't find the answer to the thing that is bothering me... The thing is I'm very interested in this project and started working on it immediately after reading the first page I installed IPCop 1.4.15i on a celeron 400MHz 64 mb RAM 6 Gbdisk and it went without a glitch, but the only thing is that i have Siemens A-100-i usb adsl modem and i don't know how to install it... the pwr led is on, but the lnk led is off... I can see IPCop over another PC in the network and work on it... I hope i don't have to buy another modem for it works just fine over windows xp... Can someone help pls?
Old 25-August-2007, 07:49
addict

I gave up.... I'm looking for a cheap wifi router...
Old 25-August-2007, 14:54

It is very or was very limited in what modems you could use.

But seeing as wifi routers are dirt cheap now most people have no need for IP Cop.

Try DSL Depot for cheap B grade stuff.
Old 27-August-2007, 21:28
addict

Tnx Scoobs!
Old 29-August-2007, 15:26
sergi

Hey nice post. But i wonder if it's posible to do this:

I have two DSL routers that I don't use anymore, these are a Zyxel Prestige 650HW and a Thomson Speedtouch 510.
Has they have 4 network ports, it will be great to modify the firmware to install a IPCOP kind of software, so they are cheap (for me for free) and very silent and can be a perfect firewall!

It's the same what people has made to Linksys WRT wireless AP.

So if anybody knows how to do it, it will be great!

Regards,
Sergi.
Old 02-November-2007, 01:30
tore567

Does anyone know how a HUAWEI E220 HSDPA USB 3G MODEM can be setup in IPCOP? I'm using the latest version, but read there wouldn't be support for this till the next release.. At the present I'm still using dial-up, but want to switch my internet connection over to the 3g modem device..

Was told Smoothwall 3.0 might have support for this.. Would welcome any feedback And thanks also for helping me the past over various issues surrounding IPCOP This is a great thread, as always someone comes back to help you out

Last edited by tore567; 02-November-2007 at 01:36.
Old 03-June-2008, 13:00
anonymous

Thumbs up here's a PC board solution

On ebay, a small board with the power of a 300Mhz PC is available (with appropriate ports)
Old 24-August-2008, 11:36
JC119

Lightbulb Re: Make Your Own Router - secrets revealed

I've seen several posts asking for assistance with USB modems.
USB = UnSuitable for [b]B[.b]roadband - don't use USB modems.

If you're in the UK on a VPI=0 / VCI=38 ADSL service, and your ISP supports PPPoE (most do...), grab an AOL version BT Voyager 190 off of eBay.co.uk, set your IPCop RED interface to PPPoE, enter the appropriate details, save, connect, go nuts!

If you manage to login to the Voyager CLI, please post the username/password required. I've given up trying...
If you can get in to the CLI, you should be able to change the VPI/VCI for use with non-BT ADSL providers: e.g. BE / O2.

JC
Old 27-August-2008, 09:26

well usb modem with ipcop was pretty stable, much more so than usb on a windows box (plus ipcop gives you NAT type setup without much difficulty),.

having said that if you are going to go out and buy stuff then most ppl would be better off with a cheap dedicated router and no ipcop at all,. unless you specifically need some of the ipcop functionality the NAT stuff built into a dedicated router offers similar protection to ipcop
Old 07-September-2008, 06:09
gabuuzz

Question Re: Make Your Own Router - secrets revealed

Hi,

Is it possible to use less of electricity?

Thanx
Gabuuzz
Old 07-September-2008, 10:51

not sure what you ask exactly, I suspect a dedicated consumer router would use less electricity than a standard PC,

I do not know for sure, check the wattage on the router / PC will tell you
Old 22-September-2008, 06:41
meloz

Hi Silver, I'm in Melbourne Australia and I was reading your piece about making your own router, very interesting and you obviously know your stuff so I hope you can help me with a router problem I have.

Its a netgearc g814wgv3 and I have been trying to unlock the procedure that is "acquire downstream channel" under "comment" it says "locked". I want to unlock this because I want to try changing the modems frequency and see if that helps my download speed which I am very unhappy with. My isp wont let me try this and they say that my speed is "good enough" It is supposed to be 30,000 kbps and all I'm getting on average is between 6500 and 7000.
They say they are commited to suppling speeds of "up to" 30,000.
Not a very helpful response.

I hope you can offer some advice as this is so frustrating.

Cheers

Barry.
Old 09-February-2010, 01:13
DavidP44

I am with Virgin. I have a Linksys Etherfast Cable DSL router. It is a NAT model.
My three PCs run Sygate, & ZA firewalls, and AVG, together with in two cases Spyware Terminator. In the other, not.
Why do I not seem to experience the problems others seem to ?
I do NOT scan, or open any website that the AVG protection says is dangerous !

Why do others seem to complain so much ? I have had only three instances of an attack in the last year, and one of those was from a dodgy streaming website, that AVG warned me about anyway !
David

Tags
adsl, aol, bt, cable, compare, connection, dead, deals, dns, file sharing, firmware, free, hacking, isp, make, modem, nat, network, router, share, sharing, slow, software, sound, speed, speedtouch, thomson, virgin, voyager, web, windows, wireless, zyxel