Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Networking

Old 21-January-2004, 03:39
billytee

thanks Sil but what I mean is do I have to have a verifiable network running before I take the drastic step of moving my ntl connection to the router. billytee
Old 21-January-2004, 10:02

nope, if you have no network now that's fine

Sil
Old 27-January-2004, 19:11
Moridin

Default Router question

Sil,

Thanks for the post, certainly given me something to think about.
Two questions really, i currently have a LAN at home with 4 computers connected to a Draytek Vigor 2600 4 port router. Now this works fine but when everyone is using overnet/azureus/generic p2p app the connection slows to a halt. I currently have ADSL line with 25k upload and 2mbit download. Was just wondering whether building a setup as you suggest would a)solve the connection choking issues
b)be able to still use the vigor as a switch and modem only and to stop all firewall activities that it currently performs, DHCP etc.

Yours
Alistair.
Old 27-January-2004, 19:43

i no its possible to ban certain urls or drop connection for x amount of hours.

But is it possible to ban a url for a few hours ie 3pm till 5pm ? so he can surf other sites but not the baned url, till 5pm
Old 27-January-2004, 19:53

Now this works fine but when everyone is using overnet/azureus/generic p2p app the connection slows to a halt
that's exactly the kind of problem you can get with purchased routers, they cut corners on the hardware spec and when you push the router it can't handle it (likely to be the problem anyway).

the part of the router that is likely to have the issue is the NAT table and connection tracking (i.e. the routing part). Some routers allow you to operate them in bridge mode (not sure that is the right word) so they don't try to behave as a firewall, if the vigor lets you do that then you should see an improvment by putting an IPcop box into your setup, e.g.

Code:
vigor (behaving as modem / in bridge mode / pass through mode)
 |
ipcop
 |
switch or hub
 |
----------------
|         |
PCa   PCb etc
the DHCP stuff can be done by ipcop - but it's unlikely that is the part of the vigor that is giving problems.

looking at their site - http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2600.html

it says
Open internal servers up for external access
DMZ - For passthrough of all protocols/data to a single internal client
Full Routing (non-NAT) Mode to allow for allocated public IP subnets
the passthrough and non-NAT is what you need to do (in order to take the 'load' of the router..

of course w/o actually doing it it's not possible to be certain it will make any difference at all, though if you have an old PC you can use and a few NICs you can try it

Sil

PS, welcome to TS!
Old 27-January-2004, 20:54
Moridin

Sil,

Thanks for the help, may as well give it a go, anything to distract me from Uni exams and spend a day building old computers sounds pretty sweet.

Alistair.
Old 31-January-2004, 13:45
Lethal_Sin

Default Question

Hey Silver, heres a couple of questions :

a) Can the computer that connects to the Router use Microsoft Windows XP?

b) Can the Router use a Windows Dialup Modem?

it would be a big help if you answer these questions, cause than i can start making a router
Old 31-January-2004, 18:07

yes and yes

you would have to use a hardware type modem or external. as winmodems are a pain

heres hardware list as a guide ipcop hardware

mate has an external modem for dial up if adsl is down
Old 01-February-2004, 12:08
Lethal_Sin

Default Another Question

Some more questions:

a) Can i use an inbuilt windows modem?

b) Can i use an inbuilt NIC 10/100 PCI card?

c) what does a: Network SWITCH 10/100 do, is it a hub that
connects to the NIC card to create more lan ports?

thankyo for answer those other questions Scooby_Doo

Last edited by Lethal_Sin; 01-February-2004 at 12:17.
Old 01-February-2004, 12:27

a) Can i use an inbuilt windows modem?

possibly - see the list that scoobs posted - or try it you'll know if it doesn't work

b) Can i use an inbuilt NIC 10/100 PCI card?

generally yes it should work fine.

c) what does a: Network SWITCH 10/100 do, is it a hub that
connects to the NIC card to create more lan ports?

correct

Sil
Old 01-February-2004, 12:37
Lethal_Sin

Default omg more questions

sorry to be a pest but i have another 2 questions

a) would i have to plug the monitor, keyboard and mouse into the router to dialup to the internet evertime i want to go on the net, since there is 4 hour session limit.

thank you sooo much for answering my other questions silver.

Last edited by Lethal_Sin; 01-February-2004 at 12:49.
Old 01-February-2004, 12:47

no u can set it to dial up if connection is dropped or using your browser you can connect / disconect as you like
Old 01-February-2004, 12:49
Lethal_Sin

Default the last questions hopefully

i hope i dont need to bug u guys anymore

a) does the inbuilt windows modem need Linux Drivers?

b) i was reading the manual before i start buying the stuff to make a router and i never saw where it tell to put in ur dialup connections username and password

thanks scooby for answering my previous question.

Last edited by Lethal_Sin; 01-February-2004 at 14:30.
Old 10-February-2004, 01:24
Andrew666

For anyone who fancies something different to IPCop, why not try Smoothwall? I've used it for a while now and couldn't live without it The latest GPL version (Smoothwall Express 2.0) is pretty damn good

www.smoothwall.org
Old 10-February-2004, 14:56
digitalx

I want to use my old pentium with a 60 gig drive to both use as internet access and to store files, as well as using it as a router, can i use this computer for both? can i have both the linux program for the router as well as winxp with interenet, file share installed? Or does using it as a router mean I can't use it as a regular computer?
Old 10-February-2004, 17:53
Andrew666

Digital,

You can dual boot WinXP and Linux, but not run them simultaneously (unless you use something like vmware).

I assume that your router is to perform basic firewall functions? You really don't want to run anything at all on your firewall, and you certainly don't want to store files on it.

60Gb is a bit excessive for a router / firewall. Make it your fileserver. Spend a little pocket change (about the cost of a month's broadband subscription) on an old machine to use as your router - a Pentium 1 with a 1 or 2 GB hard drive and 64MB RAM would easily be up to the task.
Old 12-February-2004, 09:25
Pentyl

Hi DigitalX!
It's technically possible. But:
The main idea that Sil was stressing in this thread (page 1), I think was that you'd better keep them separated, for security reasons. And it's pretty easy too!, given you have the fysichal space.

/Pentyl
Old 19-February-2004, 01:58
Talon

OK, here as promised is a short description of a newbies experiences with connecting a new IPCOP box to ADSL....

Got an old P90 with 48MB RAM and 3Gb drive on an VIA motherboard which I thought would be ideal. The Motherboard has on-board USB for the Alcatel Flatfish modem. Installation went very smoothly with no hassles at all. In fact, the installation manual seemed a little too large for the ease of installation!!!

Things started to go downhill from here though :-(
It took a while to find the "mgmt.o" file required to drive the modem hardware as the links were all dead. Alcatel were bought my Thompson some time ago and the site has been cut-back alot. Google came to the rescue as usual and a file was acquired.

The system was up and running, but as soon as you downloaded more than 5 or 6K a second, IPCOP would reset the modem connection. Grrrrr.. Tried with a new USB card but it also reported the serial link had gone down. After discussing it here on the forums, I tried the only spare PC I had left - a Celeron 400Mhz with an Intel BX motherboard!!!

Installed again without any hassles and it now runs like a dream. Turns out the VIA motherboard was causing my problems (others had seen this too). With a 400Mhz Celeron, I can afford to down-clock it to cut back on heat production, which in turn means I can slow the fans down to 7V to keep the machine as silent as possible. (Connecting the fans across the 5v and 12v instead of 0v and 12v).

The IPCOP machine is extremely fast and reliable and restarts the connection when it fails. The Windows machine used to keep the connection alive longer (sometimes up to 7 days before it failed, but it would require a power-cycle to brng back online), whereas the IPCOP machine has managed a maximum of 5 days online, but it automatically restarts the modem connection without hassles so you get virtually no downtime and I don't seem to suffer from the famous Flatfish USB Power-overload issues.

Even with three P2P programs running flat-out for a test couldn't kill IPCOP and I've not had to reboot it once in the month it's been running. DHCP and proxy all work as it says on the tin. The maintenance manual could do with a few bits added here and there, but in the main it's good and there is always these forums if you get stuck !!

If you are considering buying a cheap router - don't. I'd take a look at getting a dirt-cheap PC and IPCOP for free. It'll probably work out cheaper and more reliable in the end.

Talon
Old 19-February-2004, 08:03

Thanks Talon

Sil
Old 06-March-2004, 03:15
ShelaghG

This might sound like a really stupid question but what do you use on the PC's attached to the network? At the moment I have my main PC connecting to the net via a USB modem and 2 other PCs (plus a laptop sometimes) connecting to the net via the main PC using windows Internet Connection Sharing. None of the PCs ever have a problem connecting to the internet but they do have problems seeing each other and the printer that's attached to the main PC so I'm looking for an alternative way of setting the network up. I like the idea of a router/firewall which would mean I can get rid of the Norton firewall but I'm not sure if this is the solution I need.

Answers on a postcard please
Old 06-March-2004, 12:01

If they are having problems seeing each other you could use static ips instead of letting windows set them.

As for networking you could carry on as you are or use a stand alone router or use an old computer and use ipcop firewall system.

The main advantage to using a router over ics is you dont need to have the main comp turned on to access the net as its awalys on for each comp.
Old 25-March-2004, 12:00
Life in the Farce Lane

On the ip-cop...(why do I always post too late)

One thing I have seen cause problems on IP-Cop/Smoothies with small disks (1.6G etc.) is space taken by logs.
If you have the proxy enabled and snort the amount of space taken by logs can stall the machine.
I'm no brain surgeon so it took me a while to realise that if I halved the size of the Proxy cache or turned off IDS then things were OK. due to the fact that the logs get rotated sometimes a machine I setup for a friend would drop the connection or do strange things but then be ok a couple of days later. Whatever hard disk space appears to be free for proxy only use about %50 of it.

I also set fixed addresses for all machines that I know should be on my network, anything that has a mac address that I don't recognise get a DHCP address in a narow range (three addresses) that way if I see anything on the network with those addresses I know they are "not Local" and I send tubs after them.
Old 25-March-2004, 12:22

heres a IP cop Support forum some people might find helpful

IPCOP Forum

you can set it so logs are rotated every day if you wanted for a small HD
Old 25-March-2004, 12:27
Life in the Farce Lane

that or logging to another machine, I did look at remote logs (windows if pos) but got my learning logs too large and stalled the brain, took me two days to come round.

Oh and thanks for the IPcop link, had not seen that one. think of the time I could have saved!
Old 25-March-2004, 13:18

ipcop 1.4 does remote logging u just tick a box and select where to save to
Old 25-March-2004, 14:03
Life in the Farce Lane

Is 1.4 stable and out then? when I last looked it was beta.
by the time I've finished typing this it will be so out of date...

I look after an IP-Cop as a "background task" at work Must spend a bit more time keeping up on it.

Thanks again.
Old 25-March-2004, 14:08

nah still in beta im running 1.4b2 p1 atm with no probs but i only use it as green / red and no vpns
Old 25-March-2004, 14:10

1.4 is not release grade, I will prolly wait at least a month after 1.4 gets released just to be sure.

The offical line (I think) from the IPcop peeps is 1.4 is not released and shouldn't be run on the i'net - choice is yours

Sil
Old 25-March-2004, 14:26
Life in the Farce Lane

Ok, I get enough grief as it is so will run 1.3 for a bit.

One thing I like on smoothwall (running at home) is the ability to have a name for static IPs on the dhcp page. I tried to go over to smoothwall at work but ran into some DNS problem, ran out of time before the rest of the monkeys wanted to get on.

will wait for 1.4 I think now.
Cheers all

BTW glad I found the-scream, just wish I'd found it some time back.
Old 26-March-2004, 10:54
ShelaghG

Default What Next?

OK, I've bought an old PC off eBay (5 - bargain ),and I'm off to get a USB card once the chimney sweep's been then I will be attempting to make my own router. Once it's all set up what do I need to do on the PCs to get them to connect? Also, can I connect the printer to the router PC?

Tags
adsl, aol, bt, cable, compare, connection, dead, deals, dns, file sharing, firmware, free, hacking, isp, make, modem, nat, network, router, share, sharing, slow, software, sound, speed, speedtouch, thomson, virgin, voyager, web, windows, wireless, zyxel