Go Back   The Scream! > COMMUNITY FORUMS > Web Shopping

Old 16-March-2007, 11:04
Turtlesco

Default Tesco Allow Their Customers In China To Buy And Butcher Live Turtles At Home !

Tesco are selling live turtles for food in their supermarkets in China. A customer can choose to have the turtle they have purchased butchered alive in the supermarket, or they can choose to take the turtle home, to end its life in whatever manner they choose, before cooking and eating it.

It is currently being challenged that the killing of the turtle in-store is not humane, that is awaiting research results.

Tesco, of course, are unable to guarantee that the killing of the live turtle taken home is humane.
By allowing their customer to leave with the live turtle, Tesco are shunning their responsibility of ensuring a humane killing.
Tesco therefore can be seen to be willing to allow possible suffering and cruelty to the live turtle they sell, in their search for profit.

We have raised a Petition against Tesco selling live turtles here:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takea...ltl=1171838829

If any of you are unaware of how turtles can be killed in China, or feel that there is not an urgent need to sign this petition, here is a VERY GRAPHIC animation to help show you why your signature is very much needed.

http://www.turtlesco.com/anims/turtlesco.html

Tesco have turned its back on UK values of animal welfare.
It has turned its back on the UK customers that made it who it is, many of those have now boycott Tesco until they cease to sell live turtles in China.

I do wonder how many of their UK customers are they willing to lose, in their search for popularity and profit in China ?

Kind regards, Paul N Davis
Turtlesco
www.turtlesco.com
Old 17-April-2007, 17:58
puggsley1980

Default Re: Tesco Allow Their Customers In China To Buy And Butcher Live Turtles At Home !

Hmm, 60 million buyers vs 1.3 billion buyers?

Seems like a no brainer to me. Shame about the turtles.
Old 18-April-2007, 02:34
我們被注定

Default Re: Tesco Allow Their Customers In China To Buy And Butcher Live Turtles At Home !

Tesco is obviously trying to meet the Chinese consumer needs. Turtle is a popular dish in Asia. If they didn't adapt to a countries consumer needs it wouldn't last very long.
I don't mean to appear cruel, but that's the way I see it.

"Thinking about what you might not be able to control, only wastes time and energy, till it eventually becomes your enemy."
Old 18-April-2007, 09:45

I don't agree with people from other countries and cultures pushing their own idea of whats cruel,.

if tesco's were the first company in china to do this then fair enough but actually they are doing it as that is the norm in china?

Sil

Tags
company, home, tesco