Old 05-November-2007, 03:06
Denzil

Default Ping and BAM

I've been on a Virgin Media ADSL line in my new flat for 3 weeks now and the ping is rubbish most of the time. Ive seen alot of people complaining about download speeds but i dont download much and i havnt been looking at the speeds i get when i do.

Ive done a few tracert's and it seems my ping is based on what BAM im connected to why is this? im clueless about how a ISP's bandwidth is distributed but it dosnt make sence to me that i get a better ping from a BAM with the name of a town 200 miles away then the BAM 20 miles away. Is it just a case of congestion on my local BAM's making everything slow?

CDocuments and Settings\bob>tracert www.google.com

Tracing route to www.google.com [64.233.183.104]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms . [192.168.0.1]
2 228 ms 210 ms 193 ms leed-bam-1.inet.ntl.com [194.145.148.68]
3 141 ms 155 ms 159 ms leed-t3core-1b-ge-112-0.inet.ntl.com [80.0.241.1
97]
^C

Tracing route to www.l.google.com [64.233.183.147]

2 200 ms 180 ms 154 ms brnt-bam-3.inet.ntl.com [194.145.148.170]
3 215 ms 206 ms 212 ms brnt-t3core-1b-ge-111-0.inet.ntl.com [213.104.14
6.129]
^C

Tracing route to www.l.google.com [64.233.183.99]

2 186 ms 163 ms 167 ms watf-bam-1.inet.ntl.com [194.145.148.86]
3 209 ms 207 ms 216 ms wtfd-t2core-a-ge-wan63.inet.ntl.com [80.3.1.13]

^C

2 206 ms 210 ms 210 ms manc-bam-2.inet.ntl.com [194.145.148.19]
3 230 ms 244 ms ^C

2 218 ms 214 ms 217 ms popl-bam-1.inet.ntl.com [194.145.148.76]
3 203 ms 224 ms 213 ms popl-t3core-1a-ge-110-0.inet.ntl.com [62.255.81.
81]
^C

Tracing route to www.google.com [64.233.183.99]

2 218 ms 205 ms 203 ms leed-bam-1.inet.ntl.com [194.145.148.68]
3 222 ms 206 ms 200 ms leed-t3core-1a-ge-112-0.inet.ntl.com [80.0.241.6
9]
^C

Tracing route to www.google.com [64.233.183.99]

2 26 ms 25 ms 25 ms manc-bam-2.inet.ntl.com [194.145.148.19]
3 25 ms 26 ms 26 ms manc-t3core-1a-ge-014-0.inet.ntl.com [213.104.24
2.97]
^C
Just hoping some one can enlighten me as to the following:
What does BAM stand for?
Are these BAM's located in the towns/citys they have the name of?
If so why not connect me to my local one?
If its because the local one might be congested is my signal not going through the same local exchange anyway?
Does all the VM traffic not use the same end "pipe" to connect to outside networks?
Where the hell is popl?

Any idea how i can get a better speed on this ISP? or do i have to manualy disconnect reconnect in the hope of finding the BAM with the low ping?
Old 07-November-2007, 15:02
thorg23

Default Re: Ping and BAM

like you i have just got a virgin.net adsl line in my flat about 3 weeks ago and am unable to get even as good ping as you are getting. i have no idea either and hope somebody can help . I play warcraft online but since my switch to virgin its become unplayable i have ping online never lower than 600ms my download speen suck also tests show its not even close to the national average with an 8mb line i get a maximum average of around 500kbs down often tho as low as 200kbs (checked usin www.speedtest.net) hoping somebody picks up this page and can shed some light on this situation as after spending 30 to 40 calling their serv ice center the best they can do is say the problem is unresolved and offer me a migration code and cancelation code but no gaurantee of any fix date for their congested bams or upgrade of network. worse is the fact they bundle the virgin phoneline with the package i took and im worried even though they addmit they cant fix my problem and the service unaceptable for online gaming that i will be charged to return to bt. :<

the onlything that can help you find better bams is bazzasgoodbamfinder but is not supported by virgin and is very hard to set up unless your a bit of a whizz with comps.

gonna give it till friday then im gonna bite the bullet and get another isp and sue the ******** if they try to charge me for the use up till now and any cost from getting my bt line reconected
Old 07-November-2007, 15:56
Denzil

Yes the ping is bad when you cant play warcraft properly .

Quite good of them to offer you your MAC and free cancellation i was expecting them to hit me with eh 40 fee for leaving within the first 12 months. I think ill give Be a try as they limit the amount of users they will take(its in there faq) so these problems shouldn't be so bad.

Id still love to know what BAM stands for
Old 07-November-2007, 17:54
thorg23

good news the program bazzasgoodbamfinder has sorted my ping it searches for the lowest ping bam which i belive is broadband accsses module and keeps trying differnt bams till you get bellow the ping you specify (i specifeid 120kbs max) the program is quite tricky to use and get set up but after hacking about with the setting and getting it to see my usb modem as true instead of false and having input my virgin isp username and password it found a bam with 67 ping on its third or fourth attempt . when i had an average ping of 260ms on the line b4 all tests using www.speedtest.net proved my connection was over 200% improved its a total hack and unsupported by virgin but i definately works.

here are the instructions and link to download what you need

Get the script from here --> http://bazza.dyndns.org/files/BazzasGoodBAMFinder.zip

Right, so now you have the script.
Now to tweak it to suit you.

Open up 'BazzasGoodBAMFinder.vbs' in your favourite text editor.

All the variables are defined (and labelled) at the start.

The most important is: intUseUSBModem
Set to 'True' if using a USB modem (of any kind), and 'False' if using a Netgear DG834GT. It you have a different ethernet ADSL modem/router, then this script won't work for you.

USB users change the following variables to suit:

intUseUSBModem = True
strModemConnection = "<name of your USB modem connection" ' get this from Start->Control Panel->Network Connections
strModemUsername = "<username>@adsl.virgin.net"
strModemPassword = "<password>"
NB: Obviously, where I've wrapped something in < & >, you supply the details.

DG834/GT users change the following:

intUseUSBModem = False
strModemConnection = "Virgin via USB"
strModemUsername = "barry.mccouley@adsl.virgin.net"
strModemPassword = "password1"

' Modem/router details. Needed for dropping/reconnecting the line
' This info only needed if connected via an ethernet modem/router
strRouterIP = "<IP of your Netgear modem/router>"
strRouterUser = "admin"
strRouterPass = "<password for admin account>"

Tweaking the script - for 'ALL' users!!

intMaxLatency = 70 ' Target speed in milli-seconds. Above this, and we go find another BAM
intMaxAttempts = 10 ' How many loops we should do before we start reducing our target speed
intAbsMaxAttempts = 50 ' After this many goes we just give up.

I think they speak for themselves.

Now, you can just double-click on the 'BazzasGoodBAMFinder.bat' file.

A 'DOS' window will appear, and the script will work it's magic.

Look for a logfile called 'BAMlog.txt', this is where the script writes everything. But, don't keep the file open in Notepad, as you'll lock it, and the script probably won't be able to write to it. That doesn't happen if you use TextPad, which is a far superior text editor, btw.

OBVIOUS WARNING!!
Don't run the script when you are heavily utilising your ADSL line. When that happens, your latency fluctuates, which is normal. The script can't differiate between poor latency caused by heavy D/L's, and poor latency caused by an overloaded BAM.

Goodluck

Thorg23
it worked for me
Old 08-November-2007, 12:57
Former TS! Team

just had a quick look at this script & associated files in the zip file.
It appears to be what it says, however it does reference AskBazza.com rather than the dyndns address.
Old 09-November-2007, 02:03
thorg23

this script has been working for me so m gonna stick with virgin aslong as it does its defo a reputable script as it was suggested to me by one of the virgin tech guys with the warning it wasnt supported by them but many people with similar problems found this to work for them but not everyone. i still think if anyone reading this is thinking about swaping to virgin adsl then think again. im just put of by changing again as it will mean a price increase and sorting out a new phonline
Old 25-November-2007, 21:32
mcbazza

just had a quick look at this script & associated files in the zip file.
It appears to be what it says, however it does reference AskBazza.com rather than the dyndns address.
Originally Posted by Memfis View Post
Trust me. It's me!!

The dyndns address takes you into my Apache server at home.
AskBazza.com is my domain (that I don't do much with, but, promise I will one day)
Old 25-November-2007, 21:48
mcbazza

btw: 'BAM' stands for (so I believe) - Broadband Access Module.
Other ISPs refer to them as 'gateways'.

They are the interface between the BT ATM network, and the VM network.

The comms link between the 2 networks travels over 'BT Centrals' - all the problems are due to lack of sufficient capacity on these.

VM has many POPs (Points of Presence) throughout the UK. Allocation of BAM is random, on a round-robin basis. What happens is that one BAM ends up with more users that the others.

So, the workaround is to disconnect/reconnect your ADSL line, and try your latency again. This is what my script does, albeit, in a very 'Heath Robinson' kind of way (I'm never proclaimed it's cool, or sexy!).

The gist of my script is:-

1. Tracert to www.bbc.co.uk
2. If latency is below XXms, then stop. Otherwise, continue.
3. Drop ADSL line.
4. Start ADSL line.
5. Goto 1.
Old 26-November-2007, 04:16
Denzil

Thanks for clearing that one up Baz .

Yes i like your script but my router isn't supported as its a Belkin. Though i guess it wouldn't be too hard to cobble together a script that did the same job "using" the web interface. Although with my router it gets stuck after disconnecting sometimes, i don't think they realized people would have such a retarded ISP that they would need to do something like this.

I think ill be changing ISP as they messed up Ventrilo even when im on a good BAM now..
Old 26-November-2007, 08:47
mcbazza

Thanks for clearing that one up Baz .

Yes i like your script but my router isn't supported as its a Belkin.
Originally Posted by Denzil View Post
Actually, I reworked the script yesterday morning so that it now supports modem/routers that have Telnet.

I'd switched from my Netgear DG834GT to my Belkin 7633, as I wanted to be able to use SNMP (which is a hidden feature on the 7633) to chart the ADSL throughput on my 24/7 throughput/latency/loss/speed/dns/etc monitoring.
As a side task, have a look at my monitoring, click on the 'year' and see if you can tell when I moved onto Virgin Media's ADSL service!!?!
But, as they say on the telly, don't phone in, it's just for fun!
NB: The 'ADSL throughput' graph is currently wrong. Fixing it is on my "to do" list.

Typical of the 7633 that it didn't actually have connect/disconnect buttons in the web interface!! I guess Belkin, in their infinite wisdom, thought that people would have no need!?!

So, as long as your modem/router has telnet, and you know the commands for the following, your modem/router should now be supported by my script:-
1. Disconnect (On Belkin 7633, it's "adsl connection --down")
2. Reconnect (7633 = "adsl connection --up")
3. Logout (7633 = "logout")

The telnet'ing is done via the VBScript by spawning a shell process, and then using SendKeys to control that shell process window. Not very elegant, but, it works!!

The check for status of ADSL link is still done via a call to the modem/router's web interface - so, just need to know the URL of the page that contains the status, what the text is (for up/down), and whether a login is required to access this page (eg. on the 7633 the status page is http://<routerIP>/statsadsl.html - and it doesn't require username/pass)

If anyone wants in on the script, give me a shout.
I could do with some people that want telnet support to help me test it - before I put it out on general release.

Baz
Old 29-November-2007, 22:09
mcbazza

That's it. Can't take any more of Virgin Media's ADSL service.
Requested my MAC tonight.
Suggest all do the same - even if you want to stay (nutter!), just go through the motions - they'll offer you a refund to stay!!

My advice. Tell them to stick it. Pay the fee. Leave early. Find an ISP that delivers. You pay. They *should* deliver.
Old 03-December-2007, 18:05
Denz

The question is who to go with? Don't get me wrong virgin are plain rubish but so are some other ISP's. What is a safe bet?
Old 01-January-2008, 22:34
best007

can't get it to work. It keps saying it can't find "Wshshell.exec" Any clue?
Old 01-January-2008, 22:58
mcbazza

can't get it to work. It keps saying it can't find "Wshshell.exec" Any clue?
Originally Posted by best007 View Post
What O/S are you using?
It was developed/tested under WinXP.
I've no idea if it works under Vista, as I don't run it, and have no interest in doing so. And, it definitely won't work on a Mac!!

Tags
adsl, bad, belkin, broadband, bt, cancellation, dg834g, dns, feature, files, free, google, hacking, home, isp, line, lock, make, netgear, network, offer, online, phone, router, settings, slow, speed, speeds, virgin, web