Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > P2P File Sharing

Old 27-April-2007, 13:09
MightyMing

Default Re: ISPs that throttle p2p

This thread makes interesting reading! I have registered on this forum to add my experiences to the fray regarding ISPs and throttling!!

I too am on Talk Talk and use Azureus for P2P. My TT connection regularly drops out at high demand times and I have to reset my router. Now I can live with this (barely) and just tend to download/P2P at low demand times i.e. during weekdays and weekend mornings etc. Speeds were fine 30kB/s to 150kB/s depending on torrent.

Now I hadnt downloaded for a month or so and tried to initiate some new torrents last week. Speeds have dropped and will now rarely exceed 1kB/s at any time and for any well seeded torrent!! I have not changed anything in the interim!! So I am wondering has TT throttled my connection???

Set up is as follows:

Port forwarded to router
Port opened on firewall
Port used in range 50000 ish
Tried different ports but no luck
All smileys are green faced
Azureus NAT test OK and light green

I am wondering if TT can restrict all ports or somehow otherwise throttle my P2P??? Hope someone can have some suggestions!!

Morale of the story - dont use Talk Talk!!!
Old 27-April-2007, 14:12
Olozzj

You could try using port 80 which is your standard web port. Therefore, the speeds you get when you're viewing web pages and downloading files through your web browser. You must open the ports for this though, otherwise you'll get the same problem.
Old 16-July-2007, 18:45
mozzchops

I'm with BT and have always had problems with P2Peering. For the first time this weekend I managed to portforward my router. After doing this my dowload speed DROPPED from around 20KB/s to less than 1KB/s. I am now under the suspicion that BT are throttling my downloads. Does anyone know if there's anything I can do about this?

The reason they will be doing this is because in the long term they want us to purchase films to download over the internet.
Old 20-July-2007, 12:22
tattaloop

Nasty, horrid ISP people! Someone should throttle THEM!

Some people I know have mobile phones that can access the internet. They can browse without the aid of an ISP. When will the ISP business cease to be profitable?
Old 20-July-2007, 14:14
puggsley1980

Pretty much the same thing Tattaloop, just that the mobile phone carrier is acting as the ISP. Unless they can match the potential speed of the hard wired BT network they'll never be able to compete with true ISP's.

As much as it pains me to admit it, P2P throttling is pretty understandable. Imagine half the people on a 50/1 line ratio leaving P2P clients open all day, the line would pretty soon become useless to the other 50% of people who simply use it for everyday surfing. If you get poor DL speeds on P2P you’re less likely to cancel your contract that someone who has to wait 60 seconds for the BBC News website to open. So you throttle the P2P traffic to improve performance for the basic users, who at the end of the day probably outnumbers the P2P users anyway and thus account for a higher proportion of your income. In any business you have to look after your ‘core customers’ first.

Add to that the fact that 99% of P2P usage is illegal and you’re pretty much left without a let to stand on.

The solution? Pay higher prices for premium rate services that guarantee not too throttle P2P. Companies like BT, AOL and TT are always looking to get as many people onto the same piece of cable as they can to keep costs down, so P2P throttling from the big companies is here to stay.
Old 02-October-2007, 22:41
chrimbow

.well I have been with talk talk since August and everything was fine until 2/3 weeks ago ,if I try to download through p2p after some minutes my connection terminates,and will not reconnect until I restart computer.
which is more than bloody annoying,what I would like to know have I enough reason to cancel with Talk Talk,without being penalised,and is there anything illegal in what they are doing?,especially as my broadband is not free ,as I have to pay 10 a month
Originally Posted by jimmpad View Post
They will have it in their FUP that they are allowed to "manage their network to protect performance"
Old 20-November-2007, 16:46
Screamager

I've found a list of isps that throttle torrent traffic, I have no idea how up-to-date it is:- http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php...United_Kingdom

Last edited by MAN WHO; 20-November-2007 at 16:53.
Old 20-November-2007, 18:26
Olozzj

This seems to be up-to-date, however there are a few ISP's known to throttle which are missed out from the list.

The list only shows the UK's biggest ISP's and misses out the smaller ones.
Old 21-November-2007, 13:58
tattaloop

The list says Pipex limits bittorrent. I thought so.

Actually, I don't think they care what time it is, they cap you all the time.
Old 21-November-2007, 20:17
Olozzj

The list says Pipex limits bittorrent. I thought so.

Actually, I don't think they care what time it is, they cap you all the time.
Originally Posted by tattaloop View Post
Most probably. Since Tiscali have got their hands on Pipex and their group of companies, things have gone downhill. Speeds have slowed down, pings have gotten higher, and in general the whole network is slowing down and falling to bits. Pipex's DNS servers were down at the weekend (as most already know) leaving all Pipex registered domains completely unavailable. However, this is just the start of problems; expect the service to get worse in the near future!
Old 22-November-2007, 14:35
tattaloop

I don't do that much downloading, actually, but when I do, the slowness is really annoying, especially in the light of their sales pitch.
Old 22-November-2007, 15:38
Olozzj

As much as it pains me to admit it, P2P throttling is pretty understandable. Imagine half the people on a 50/1 line ratio leaving P2P clients open all day, the line would pretty soon become useless to the other 50% of people who simply use it for everyday surfing. If you get poor DL speeds on P2P you’re less likely to cancel your contract that someone who has to wait 60 seconds for the BBC News website to open. So you throttle the P2P traffic to improve performance for the basic users, who at the end of the day probably outnumbers the P2P users anyway and thus account for a higher proportion of your income. In any business you have to look after your ‘core customers’ first.

Add to that the fact that 99% of P2P usage is illegal and you’re pretty much left without a let to stand on.

The solution? Pay higher prices for premium rate services that guarantee not too throttle P2P. Companies like BT, AOL and TT are always looking to get as many people onto the same piece of cable as they can to keep costs down, so P2P throttling from the big companies is here to stay.
Originally Posted by puggsley1980 View Post
Very well said, couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 23-November-2007, 15:00
BoBo354

AOL (UK) as was, is now throttling p2p traffic !!!!
Old 23-November-2007, 16:10
Screamager

Biscit is no longer trading, so that can be eliminated from the above list.
Old 24-November-2007, 02:16
Olozzj

Biscit is no longer trading, so that can be eliminated from the above list.
Originally Posted by JohnnyReb51 View Post
Biscit isn't, but the people behind it have re-opened Fast4 so, effectively, they're still there (same network etc, although now owned and operated by NJP Services).

When AOL UK belonged to the AOL group, they did not throttle speeds at all, although had a hidden cap of 200 gig per month. However when the Carphone Warehouse group bought AOL UK, or more specifically TPH Services, they changed the network policies and speeds, and are now gradually transferring everyone from AOL's network to TalkTalk. If you were to sign up for AOL UK broadband now, you would be placed on TalkTalk's network and will have exactly the same ADSL service as other TalkTalk users (if there's free capacity in the exchange).

As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. If you want an un-throttled fast broadband connection then you've gotta pay for it.
Old 24-November-2007, 10:58
Screamager

Biscit isn't, but the people behind it have re-opened Fast4 so, effectively, they're still there (same network etc, although now owned and operated by NJP Services).
Originally Posted by Olozzj View Post
From memory, Biscit was already an established ISP and had nothing to do with Fast4, they then bought out V21, but things didnt go right and after many months of conflict, disputes and unpaid bills, etc, they folded.

The original owner/director of V21, Steve Kaye, then set up Fast4 after the sale of V21 to Biscit.
Old 24-November-2007, 14:34
Olozzj

From memory, Biscit was already an established ISP and had nothing to do with Fast4, they then bought out V21, but things didnt go right and after many months of conflict, disputes and unpaid bills, etc, they folded.

The original owner/director of V21, Steve Kaye, then set up Fast4 after the sale of V21 to Biscit.
Originally Posted by JohnnyReb51 View Post
Same difference, although your explanation is correct & slightly more err complicated lol
Old 16-December-2007, 08:22
asoke

I had the same problem with my Comcast in South Florida, and tried a few VPN's. I had some success but it was not steady. I'm now with http://www.strongvpn.com and they give me access to a 1Gb connection with no throttles. Everything seems ok now. I have seen others post similar success with other VPN providers like Relax.

You have to get around their Sandvine, I use a OpenVPN solution from them but I know their regular VPN account works for some.

Best of luck, I really hate what Comcast is doing to their customers.
Old 03-January-2008, 22:19
Tango

Plusnet definately throttle.

Max p2p in the day is about 4k - sometimes as low as 300bytes.
Old 04-January-2008, 01:27
Olozzj

Plusnet definately throttle.
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
That all depends which PlusNet broadband package you have, and which bandwidth option you've chosen. If you head over to http://www.plus.net which is their official site, you will find they give you guides as to what they throttle and at what times during the day, which is all dependant on the package and option you have with them.
If you have the broadband your way pro, I don't believe they throttle traffic at all, but I could be wrong!
Old 04-January-2008, 12:28
Tango

You should see the rising complaints on Plusnets forums...
Old 05-January-2008, 01:17
Olozzj

Really!?! Oh well, another potentionally ISP gone to waste...

When I think about it, BT are effectively in control of PlusNet now, so performance drops are to be expected lol
Old 05-January-2008, 13:38
Tango

Precisely. I've meddled with BT for an ISP a few times too many to know that things always hit the rocks when they control it.

It's really weird isn't it. They're one of the global leaders of communications and yet they don't want us to do just that - communicate - Why?

You know one night it took me over 45 mins to send one line of text in outlook express using BTInternets SMTP server - It really was a disgrace - then BT support tried to blame our computer.. The nerve..

Yeah PN's forums are accumulating more and more complaints about speed and p2p on a daily basis. At one point they only had 3 pipes and they were running at MAXIMUM capacity. Needless to say after enough protesting they slowly managed 3 more but the complaints still roll in on a daily basis. The Ironry being that they advertise themselves as one of the best, yet make their forums completely private to members only so that none of the public can really see whats going on.
Old 05-January-2008, 19:41
Olozzj

Tango, I do agree with everything you say about PlusNet, they seem to think that if they throttle their network enough then there won't be a need for any more centrals

Anyhow, be careful in what you're saying about BT. There are a few things you should know before making a bold statement like that. For a start, the BT Group are split in to three main companies: BT Net, BT Wholesale, and BT Retail.

BT Net own a multi-gigabit global network which almost all UK ISPs use somewhere along the line. BT Wholesale own all of BT's UK infrastructure, such as all telephone lines and all exchanges. BT Retail on the other hand, are a retail front for BT Wholesale and operate just like any other ISP, who buy services and capacity from BT Wholesale.

There is nothing special about BT Retail in the sense of owning networks; they do exactly the same as all other ISP's, such as for example Pipex, who buy their network capacity, centrals, and rent space in the exchanges. BT Retail don't get any price reductions for being in the same group either.

Therefore, if you want decent service you might want to consider changing your ISP to one which is known to be reliable.
Old 08-February-2010, 11:38
Screamager

update on this very old thread

all brands under the talk talk umbrella, and basically almost any connection that is supplied via I.P.stream using the BT network,(except a few, but they probably wont offer unlimited) as basically it's the bt product being re-sold,and isp's won't buy the vast amount of bandwidth from bt to be able to support it, if they did a bb package would be more expensive,hence some LLU services are not throttled ect, as its the isp's own network so costs are alot cheaper for them

those who dont throttle p2p
sky/easynet (ukonline) LLU only
be/o2 again LLU only (access is ip stream)
there are a few others but they probably are capped instead,

Last edited by tommy t; 08-February-2010 at 11:45.
Old 13-September-2010, 10:49
SERPENTOR

i am with talktalk, and can only download in the middle of the night

Tags
adsl, aol, bad, blocking, broadband, bt, cable, computer, connection, eclipse, forward, free, happy, internet, isp, line, make, mobile, network, orange, phone, premium rate, router, sound, speed, speeds, talk, talk talk, talktalk, tesco