Go Back   The Scream! > COMMUNITY FORUMS > General Internet Questions

Old 27-December-2013, 02:21
Foxy Lady

Question Help needed re: mobile contacts sync

I know this is for Internet Questions but I don't really know where else to post this as there doesn't seem to be anything available for mobile queries.

Can anyone tell me how to stop a Samsung Galaxy S111 from syncing with my google, whatsapp, MS Exchange Server accounts please. I have just had the latest software update, which had thrown my mob completely off kilter. It has synced all my contacts, which I did not have enabled before, has lost some of my contacts, has changed my phone name back to the original i9300 and is now making sounds not set and sending me notifications of things it never did before.

Please can anyone tell me how to stop it linking & syncing my contacts. I have had to go through all of them on my phone and re-add them, losing the photo of each one in the process, to stop it being linked to my gmail account as it doesn't seem to have any option to copy & paste contacts or to tell it where to store them anymore. I hate this new update, it's driving me nuts!!

Any suggestions will be most appreciated. Thanks.
Old 27-December-2013, 02:48
Formerly exstreamuser

Default Re: Help needed re: mobile contacts sync

I'm really sorry to hear this has happened to you.

Synchronizing Accounts

From the Accounts menu you decide if you want applications to synchronize, send, and receive data at any given time, or if you want the applications to synchronize automatically. After determining how you want the accounts to synchronize, indicate which account to synchronize with your Contacts list.

1. From the Home screen, tap Contacts.
2. Press |=| then tap Accounts.
3. Tap the ON/OFF slider, located to the right of the Accounts and sync field, to turn sync ON.

More on page 73 of the manual.
Old 28-December-2013, 00:24
Foxy Lady

Thumbs up Re: Help needed re: mobile contacts sync

Thanks for that andrew but I don't have accounts when I select the option in step 2. All there is in the menu that appears is: Create, Search Change order & Delete groups.

I have checked in the settings for each account and it says sync is off, which is what I want, as I don't want any of my accounts syncing but it synced them all anyway!!

Samsung haven't been any use at all, they just keep telling me I need to switch off my device & switch it on again after the upgrade, which it did automatically itself anyway. Then they say I can do a factory re-set, which will lose all my data & settings and finally they talk about firmware recovery. None of this really helps.
Old 28-December-2013, 01:19
Formerly exstreamuser

From your second paragraph, I am guessing the Samsung advice is good. I am not sure how you backup your data on that as I think it is supposed to be backed-up to the cloud and I do not think you want that!

This is one of many. Find a utility you are reasonably comfortable with and research it to ensure you feel confident that it will do no harm. I know this is a PITA but firstly, having your data safe on your computer will give peace of mind. I do fear you will have to perform the reset and at least you will be able to recover from it with minimal (if any) loss.

I do suggest that you verify the settings before you restore your data.

Sorry I am not a whole lot more help and maybe someone else can chime in here. I really detest these sort of things happening with private data.
Old 28-December-2013, 02:25
Foxy Lady

Thumbs up Re: Help needed re: mobile contacts sync

Thanks for your help and replying to my post andrew, it's appreciated. As I have now sorted my contacts for the time being, hopefully it won't sync them all again and when Samsung bring the fix out for this problem that they apparently are well aware of... why on earth they kept sending the update out if they knew it was suspect I fail to understand, I can then apply the fix and get the rest of the phone back to normal. If it still is unsatisfactory after that I will definitely do a factory re-set.
I backup my pictures and data on a regular basis, so that doesn't bother me too much, it's just the fact that I will have all the hassle of getting the phone back to how I like it again that's annoying.
Thanks again for your help.
Old 28-December-2013, 02:42
Formerly exstreamuser

HTC have similar issues. People have criticized them for being slow but the slowness is due to multiple checks they perform before release. I do think it is really out of order how your personal data can be sent off without your permission though.

I'm glad you at least got some of it in order though and also glad to hear that you have some data backed up. It's a hassle though and things like settings are a real pain to redo, unless you can back these up too.

ee provides a "clone phone" service free to monthly contract users. This seems really quite comprehensive but it also looks like the phone is backed-up to the cloud. It does have neat addon services, where you can track a lost phone and also wipe the data from it.

Tags
cloud, computer, firmware, free, google, home, internet, lost, mobile, phone, screen, settings, slow, software, talk