Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Tesco ADSL Broadband

Old 27-September-2013, 16:14
Screamer

Default Tesco BB on TP-Link TD-W8970

Hi,

I'm trying to get my Tesco broadband working on a new TP-Link W8970 wireless router.

I have gone through all the standard wizards/quick set-ups, as well as through the webpage set-up. The router even has Tesco BB in a drop down list to select.

Username and Password all correct, all the other settings seem correct;

PPPoA
VPI = 0
VCI = 38
VC Mux

Works fine on the crappy router Tesco sent me, just will not connect on the new one, just keeps trying and trying to no avail. Tried updating to the latest firmware, no change.

Waiting on TP Link tech support to get back to me on e-mail, but the nice Indian man on the phone said it may be a hardware issue, although that was probably just the last resort on his response list.

Any ideas? Very frustrating spending money and just having extra paperweights!
Old 11-October-2013, 08:24
Screamer

Default Re: Tesco BB on TP-Link TD-W8970

Hi

How did you get on with help from TP-Link? I have the same problem.
Old 13-October-2013, 00:03
Optimistic Curmudgeon

Are you able to connect using a Lan cable ?

Does your computer 'see' the router in the network/sharing center ?

If not, have you enabled wifi transmission in the router settings ?
Old 13-October-2013, 20:02
Screamer

Doesn't connect through LAN.

My PC does see the router in the network/sharing centre
Old 23-October-2013, 08:45
Screamer

Yes, the router appears to work fine. It assigns IP address, and works over WiFi and the ethernet cable.

It's just the ADSL internet connection that doesn't work, TP-Link tech support are getting me to try every setting under the sun and send them the log file each time. To no avail so far, haven't heard from them for a few days now, but the case has apparently been escalated.

It can see the ADSL line, as it says it has connected as a Bridge to the line. But will not connect to tesco. It even has Tesco BB in a drop down list of internet providers when you use the provided quick set-up disc.

I'll keep you posted, but if anyone has any bright ideas I can send you some logs etc. Have plenty of them now!
Old 27-October-2013, 12:44
Optimistic Curmudgeon

This may be a daft question, but have you made sure that your username and password given to you by TESCO are actually entered into the router ?
Old 27-October-2013, 12:54
Screamer

Don't worry, no daft questions.

Yes, i have definitely got the username and password correct. Double checked many times
Old 03-November-2013, 04:31
Screamer

I have given up on the TP-Link support, they were at least communicating with me, but when they started asking me to phone Tesco for details of fault codes in the Log I drew the line!

Amazon have taken it back, and I have spent some extra money on a billion 7800N.

I'll let you know if it works.
Old 04-November-2013, 23:34
Screamer

tp link routers are well known for problems ... ive done some research on compatible routers and netgear and linksys seem to work well with tesco BB
also remember when looking yourself tesco BB is operated by cable and wireless so consider that why looking for a router
unlike many isp,s ( such as sky ) tesco will supply you with any passwords or information needed when connecting a 3rd party router .... even before ive replaced the TG580 supplied by tesco they happily gave me the information and passwords required to connect a 3rd party router ...
they also mentioned they cant offer as much support with non tesco compatible routers as they can with their supplied routers ....
one great router that will work with tesco BB is the "TD-W8970 300Mbps Wireless N Gigabit ADSL2+ Modem Router "( http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Netwo...roductId=53895 )

with 4 x gigabit ports and 2 x usb2.0 compliant ports this not only ensures maximum speed but can also be used with a external hard drive to create a network storage solution .. then you can connect any printer to the second usb2.0 port .. and the first network port doubles as a "ewan" or Ethernet WAN.. so this allows cable and fibre aswell as adsl
finally allways use the supplied microfilter when installing any new router ... this may seem petty but thats why isp,s recommend you use the supplied microfilter .. ive allways followed this and experienced no problem
take care guys
Old 04-November-2013, 23:47
Screamer

Wow, that's great advice!

I think I'll go buy that router, if you're sure it'll work.
Old 05-November-2013, 00:12
Screamer

as with all routers and components compatibility isn't 100%.. however ive allways found the technical support at Tesco BB to be good .... ive been with them for 2 years now and apart from a outage around 6 months in I haven't had any problems ... just make sure you contact Tesco BB ( technical support and not customer support ) and double check you have all the appropriate information ...
remember what I stated about microfilters .. this may seem irrelevant but some microfilters are specificly designed for specific routers ( and they allways supply two of them ) ....
did you also know Tesco BB will be doing fibre superfast broadband sometime in 2014.... I asked a few weeks ago and I got a email today regarding Tesco fibre ... the packages will be 40gb,60gb and 80gb from all accounts with the 80gb costing under 18 .... and what many don't know is Tesco,s broadband is actually supplied by "cable and wireless" who have the second biggest fibre network in the uk ( next to BT ) ....
finally Thomson ( who supply the TG580 ) also do other ( and better ) adsl routers .. you can find out more at http://www.technicolor.com/en/soluti...odems-gateways ...
ive also heard the "Asus DSL-N55U Black Diamond Dual Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router"( http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...=46&catid=1595 ) is a excellent adsl router,and the Auto-detecting ADSL connection with CD/manual-free setup means it recognizes your connection and configures it to your Tesco BB connection ... this is unlike tp link and belkin routers which require user input ...asus do cheaper models with the same auto set up including the inexpensive "ASUS DSL-N12U B1 ADSL wireless modem "( http://www.ebuyer.com/411798-asus-ds...12u-uk-13-p-uk ) ... infact in the description it clearly states "3 steps to configure ADSL ISP settings" what could be easier
in summary I would do some more research before deciding which router to buy ... as you would expect Tesco wont recommend any 3rd party adsl router themselves... not because they don't want to help but they don't want to recommend a router that's not been officially tested by them .. the only one they have tested is their current TG580 ...
personally I would take a closer look at the asus routers ... Ive used many asus products and their support is second to none
hope this helps ....
good luck mate !
Old 11-November-2013, 12:14
Screamer

Billion router did not work either.

Officially giving up and sticking with the Tesco router, no gigabit switch but at least it works!

Life is too short for this.

Tags
adsl, adsl2, broadband, cable, computer, connection, firmware, free, internet, line, mail, modem, netgear, network, offer, phone, router, settings, sharing, sky, speed, tesco, wireless