Old 05-July-2015, 17:52
Trance Addict

Default Re: Windows 10

I'm going to install it on my media system in the living room, but I think I shall be keeping my desktop as Windows 7 for the time being.
Old 06-July-2015, 00:35
Foxy Lady

Smile Re: Windows 10

I'm going to install it on my media system in the living room, but I think I shall be keeping my desktop as Windows 7 for the time being.
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
I'd say that was a sensible thing to do Behemoth, as always, it's best to wait before installing an upgrade system... let others install it, use it and find all the glitches, wait 'till the glitches are fixed, then install it. Ta-da!!
Old 09-July-2015, 17:50

Unhappy Re: Windows 10

For those of you who are thinking about getting Windows 10 (that's me too), have a read here.

Think I'll wait a bit!
Old 11-July-2015, 21:12
Rambler

Thanks Gem, I think I will wait too.
Old 13-July-2015, 00:07
Foxy Lady

Thanks Gem, I think I will wait too.
Originally Posted by Twinkle View Post
Good call girls... you can, if you wish, click on the icon to order your copy as it does a system check to see if your system is compatible and ready to accept Windows 10.

You don't need to reserve an upgrade but you'll still find out if your system is ready for it or not.

Otherwise, just wait until it's been out a while and then click for the upgrade once the glitches have been ironed out and it will do the system check then.
Either way, if your system isn't ready it will tell you and inform you of the updates you need to bring it up to date and make it compatible.

I for one am waiting until it's been out a while before I order my free upgrade, after all, we've got 12 months after it's been released before we have to pay for an upgrade. More than enough time I think for them to have sorted out any odd anomalies there are bound to be.
Old 13-July-2015, 09:23
Screamager

I'll be waiting too.
Old 13-July-2015, 09:50
Foxy Lady

I'll be waiting too.
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
Sensible!
Old 23-July-2015, 16:06
Screamer

Still I use Windows 7. And I am so far happy to use Windows 7.
Old 23-July-2015, 16:14
Foxy Lady

Still I use Windows 7. And I am so far happy to use Windows 7.
Originally Posted by joyce22 View Post

Hi Joyce, I too am using Windows 7 and am happy with it. I liked Vista too but seem to be in a very small minority with that one! Windows 7 isn't quite as personalisable as Vista was but I still think it's better than Windows 8.

Don't think I'll be changing to Windows 10 any time soon, will definitely wait until the glitches have been ironed out before I take that step! I don't usually upgrade until Microsoft stop support for the operating system I'm currently using, then I have no choice as the security patches stop, which means that your system could be vulnerable but until that time I stick with what I'm happy with.
Old 23-July-2015, 16:15
Screamer

Yeah, I am Windows users too. I like to use windows 7 too much.
Old 26-July-2015, 08:50
Screamer

The copy command will NOT BE A SYSTEM IMAGE. It will not copy hidden system folders or other essential system folders. You must use a system image method or software that creates one.
I have windows 10 version 10240. Which is going to be the released version after July 29th. It will download automatically in the background to a folder on your main hard drive and install IF YOU CHOOSE. Windows 10 will not have media centre in it. If you use that piece of software. The only problem you may have is if you have old equipment attached to it whose drivers will not work with w10. My ACER laptop screen auto brightness doesn't. The laptop works fine. But there is a message about a problem detected with a certain piece of software on startup. Windows 10 looks very much like windows 8.1 with the 2 alternate viewing options (desktop and tile) merged with a start button as previous versions had in the bottom left.
I quite like it. It will the last version of windows and just being incrementally updated. (so MS say). 10 years is my belief. Who knows what will be around then ?
Old 26-July-2015, 09:25
Safe Sane Consensual

Agree with most of the posters here to let others sort out the teething troubles.

With regard to system discs Computer Active (8th-21st July) has a very good article "Get your PC ready for Windows"

"There is a warning that both Windows 7 and 8/8.1 come with built-in back up tools but there are often compatibility problems between different Windows versions. Back ups made in Windows 7 and not directly compatible with Windows 8.1 for example and we expect similar problems when restoring older backup to Windows 10"

I am following this advice to back up my entire system:-

"Windows 7 and 8.1 include built in tools for saving a system image, a large backup file that contains your files, programs, settings and Windows itself <snip>
With system image backups, there won't be any compatibility problems between Windows 7 or 8.1 and Windows 10."

Windows 7 start- type backup-press enter- create system image and follow instructions

Windows 8 type file history and click the file history link and then system image backup link in bottom left hand corner and follow steps

You should also follow procedures to create a system repair disc or recovery drive on USB stcik or DVD

Have purchased a good quality 1TB external USB hard drive to do this job. (about £35)
Old 26-July-2015, 09:40
Safe Sane Consensual

Default Re: Windows 10 - licences

Anyone able to give guidance on the licensing situation here:-

Running Windows 7 (also supplied with Windows 8 discs) and make a system back up on external USB drive. Would that system disc enable you to install everything on a new computer in the event of hard drive breakdown of the original? Will it just be a question of passing info to Microsoft licensing?

After running Windows 10 you are happy with it. Do you need to buy another USB hard drive to make a new system disc and will there be any problems in transferring info on that system disc to a new computer in the event of failure of the original?

My Windows 7 computer is adequate for my needs and I am really wondering if it will be worth the potential hassle of having devices that do not work if I effect the change to Windows 10
Old 26-July-2015, 20:09
Rambler

All that has left me in a spin, Worldlife. I think that I will stick with 8.1
I hope you get your questions answered.
Old 27-July-2015, 09:16
Safe Sane Consensual

All that has left me in a spin, Worldlife. I think that I will stick with 8.1
I hope you get your questions answered.
Originally Posted by Twinkle View Post
I am working through this slowly Twinkle!

First thing we need to look at is the download of Windows 10 from Microsoft. Not sure if this will be specific to our systems or available more generally in future. If you make a copy before use will you always have activation information for its use on a new computer? (What will be the size of the program - will it go on an old 360GB USB hard drive that is too small for a system disc?)

Even if we stay on Windows 7 or 8 I think that it is useful we have a system restore disc to reinstate our current working computers!

It is not too difficult and here is a link to expand my earlier quote from Computer Active

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4241/...-in-windows-7/

The situation is of course complicated if one completes the upgrade to Windows 10 and then your computer breaks down and you need to transfer to a new computer!

Here's some new information on this.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...-computer.html

You can see I am struggling to understand this - perhaps others will have more knowledgeable input

At the end of the day when our current systems fail or become obsolete I guess us ordinary mortals will update with a new computer with Windows 10 pre-installed and in which case the system disc made on Windows 7 or 8 or 10 will be useful.

Hope this is useful and not even more confusing
Old 29-July-2015, 22:06

Cool Re: Windows 10

Windows 10 requires a 3gb download. Details here.

To answer Worldlife's question about space - I have recently done a clean install of Windows 8.1 on to a 250gb SSD and I still have 200gb free! I doubt that Win10 will take up much more.
Old 30-July-2015, 08:39
Screamager

This is all sounding so complicated. Think I will stick to 8.1 for quite a while.

I don't understand this but I was reading something about Windows 10 can let people know what your wifi password is!

Is my router in my hall a wifi as there are no wires coming from it to the computer? Also is the code that shows when I connect to it the password?

Thank you.
Old 30-July-2015, 10:03
Rambler

Angry Re: Windows 10

This is all sounding so complicated. Think I will stick to 8.1 for quite a while.

I don't understand this but I was reading something about Windows 10 can let people know what your wifi password is!

Is my router in my hall a wifi as there are no wires coming from it to the computer? Also is the code that shows when I connect to it the password?

Thank you.
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
I tried to hide update for 10
Now every time I reboot 10 wants to install! I can't get the updates for 8.1 as when I try 10 starts installing! Has anyone else got this problem or knows help?
Old 30-July-2015, 10:14
Screamager

As I don't want what is happening to Twinkle I have just cancelled my reservation. It can be reserved later.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/s...de-reservation
Old 30-July-2015, 11:40
Rambler

Many thanks Pisces, Hopefully it will not bother me again, until I'm sure that I want it.
Old 30-July-2015, 14:15

Question Re: Windows 10

Twinkle
There is no reason why you cannot get 8.1 updates. You will be informed when your win10 update is available and then it is up to you when you actually upgrade, see quote below.

"When will I receive my notification to upgrade?
You’ll receive your notification to upgrade once we can confirm your device is ready to upgrade. We look at the specific compatibility for your device and overall demand for Windows 10 when deciding if a device is ready to upgrade.

Before we notify you, we’ll download the installation files needed in the background. Then, you will receive a notification on your desktop letting you know that you can upgrade right away or schedule a time that works best for you. We’re rolling things out in phases to manage the high demand, particularly in the first weeks following Windows 10 availability."
Old 30-July-2015, 14:36
Rambler

Twinkle
There is no reason why you cannot get 8.1 updates. You will be informed when your win10 update is available and then it is up to you when you actually upgrade, see quote below.

"When will I receive my notification to upgrade?
You’ll receive your notification to upgrade once we can confirm your device is ready to upgrade. We look at the specific compatibility for your device and overall demand for Windows 10 when deciding if a device is ready to upgrade.

Before we notify you, we’ll download the installation files needed in the background. Then, you will receive a notification on your desktop letting you know that you can upgrade right away or schedule a time that works best for you. We’re rolling things out in phases to manage the high demand, particularly in the first weeks following Windows 10 availability."
Originally Posted by gem View Post
I know all that Gem, trouble is when I hide that update and tried to install 8.1 only it started to run the 10 update! I got link from above post and will try again later to get the 8.1 updates.
Old 30-July-2015, 15:03
Rambler

Oh dear, tried to install 8.1 again, what did it do! Started running windows 10
Just about had enough off comp for one day. Any more help always appreciated.
Old 01-August-2015, 11:23
Rambler

Now I can't get the flash player update!!! Tried manually no go!!!
Old 06-August-2015, 10:00
Scrimper

To all the folks here who are dubious of Windows 10 I would say give it a go! until this point I have never been an early adopter of new versions but the word Free made me jump!

Anyway I have now upgraded 2 desktops and 1 laptop and TBH I like it, IMHO this will be considered to be one of the best MS have produced and that's a hard act to follow after win 7.

Win 10 seems to have the best bits of W7 plus a few good bits fro W8.1 (there are not many good bits in W8) plus a sprinkling of new features from W10.

One you have upgraded it looks pretty much like W7 until you look under the 'hood'.
I have to say that I have one desktop still on W7 but after using W10 7 does feel dated, I also feel that W10 is 'snappier' and quicker in many ways.

I would say give it a try I don't see how you could not like it.
A part dropped from the workbench will roll to a degree of un-reachability proportional to its importance.
Old 06-August-2015, 12:21

Cool Re: Windows 10

Many thanks for that druid.

I'm away so will not actually install it until we return home (I am downloading it now though).
Old 07-August-2015, 17:56
ScreamAngel

Hi all...sorry I haven't been on for quite a while. I installed windows 10, it didn't like my Lexmark printer at all.....so uninstalled it and restored back to 8.1 - thing is that no ones has mentioned that you have 30 days from the first installation of windows 10 to uninstall it...so beware if you decide you dont like it!
Detailed instructions of what to do are here:
http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-...dows-7-or-8.1/

Hope this helps.... and in the end I had to uninstall the printer AGAIN and reinstall it to work... xx
Old 11-August-2015, 09:56
Trance Addict

So I intended to do the upgrade on my media system only.

So far, I've upgraded my media PC to Windows 10, my Laptop and now the Mrs is on about me doing hers.

I have to say I'm suitably impressed with the boot up speed on Windows 10 over Windows 7. On my Hex core AMD PC with a 8 gig of RAM and 1 TB hard drive it boots so quick I've not calculated it but I suspect it takes less than a minute.

Laptop is around 2 minutes as opposed to the 5 - 6 minutes it used to take.

Couple of things I don't like but its just a matter of tweeking things to my liking etc.
Old 12-August-2015, 16:04
Rambler

Hi all...sorry I haven't been on for quite a while. I installed windows 10, it didn't like my Lexmark printer at all.....so uninstalled it and restored back to 8.1 - thing is that no ones has mentioned that you have 30 days from the first installation of windows 10 to uninstall it...so beware if you decide you dont like it!
Detailed instructions of what to do are here:
http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-...dows-7-or-8.1/

Hope this helps.... and in the end I had to uninstall the printer AGAIN and reinstall it to work... xx
Originally Posted by Stalybridgelass View Post
I too am with 8.1 trouble is I can't get the 8.1 updates to install, as it starts running update for 10 when I try.
Old 16-August-2015, 12:51
ScreamAngel

Hiya...if you go into windows update and you can choose to see a selectionof updates you mayy wish to install. You need to untick windows 10 and then go back and turn off automatic update option and choose only download and install updates with your permission....you will get 8.1 updates but not windows 10. You will however still get a popup window reminding you that you have windows10 to install if you want it.....hopefully this will stop after the first year is up x

Tags
123, computer, failure, files, flash, forward, france, free, happy, laptop, law, line, lost, make, new computer, online, player, recovery, router, screen, security, settings, software, tools, windows