Old 30-July-2004, 18:18
squidgy

Exclamation holiday in paris

I fancy going to Paris and having a bit of an explore before I start my new job.

But I'm on a budget, and I will be hitting the plastic to pay for it. I can't cook to save my life, so I'd prefer bed and breakfast to self-catering - am I right in thinking that the french word for "bed and breakfast" is "chambre d'hôtes"? Helps you look for them on Google, you see. Are there any other words for bed and breakfast?

Here's my idea. I thought I'd fly from Heathrow or Luton to Charles de Gaulle - but it's some 8-euro-odd to get from the airport to the centre of Paris - the "roissybus" goes to the Opera Metro station, then you have to pay another 1,40 to get to another station in Paris. Besides, you'll probably be travelling around on the tube quite a bit if you really want to explore - and the B&B per-night rates might be cheaper out in the suburbs - Hauts de Seine, Seine St Denis or Val de Marne - than in Paris itself.

So I thought I'd go on a Monday, and get a Zone 1-4 Orange Card for 25,20 as soon as I land at the airport - and that pays for RER and Metro travel from the airport to Paris then out to the suburbs and back into Paris as many times as I like.

Course, I'd prefer a B&B in the centre of Paris - but only if it's cheap.

At the moment, if I got another person to share a room with me, and go during the week, I think I could cover the flights, the orange card and the accommodation for less than £80 per person for two nights, or less than £120 per person for four nights.

Can anyone recommend any good cheap B&B's in Paris or the suburbs?

Does anyone know if there's an equivalent of the Yellow Pages or Thomson Directory in Paris, and what it's called? I'm wondering if there's a "search near address" facility like you get on the Thomweb web site.

And can anyone suggest any good attractions to go visit? Thanks.
Old 30-July-2004, 18:34
ormus55

definately get a daily rover ticket for the metro. very good value.
cheap bb,s are everywhere. cant reccommend any cause its yrs since we stayed in one.

just walk around and soak up the atmosphere. people watching is great fun. and cheap!
Old 30-July-2004, 21:08

I'm sure there is almost a whole thread on Paris squidgy. It was at least a year ago (probaly two now!).
Why not try and get a last minute package deal, tend to work out much cheaper. If I had the time I'd look up some links for you but ..... Sorry. Anyway, enjoy!
Old 30-July-2004, 22:58
squidgy

gem suggests
Why not try and get a last minute package deal, tend to work out much cheaper.
Hadn't thought of that. I just thought, these days, it's so easy to put the various bits of holidays together yourself, that there isn't much point in getting package holidays. It never occured to me that package holidays might be cheaper - but I guess they could be. Thanks - will look.
Old 31-July-2004, 05:47
thefirs

Does anyone know if there's an equivalent of the Yellow Pages or Thomson Directory in Paris, and what it's called? I'm wondering if there's a "search near address" facility like you get on the Thomweb web site.
http://www.infobel.com/france/yp/search/default.asp

I'm working in Paris a few days a week at the mo, and can tell you it's a tad hot (32 degrees yesterday), so take your shorts.
Old 31-July-2004, 09:55
Appuleius

Squidge visit Oscar's tomb it's worth seeing.

Wilde's remains were moved to Père Lachaise on July 19, 1909.

He had to wait for another few years before his monument was finished. Not before 1914 the famous tomb by Jacob Epstein was unveiled. It had taken the American three years to sculpt it. When it was almost finished is was found to be indecent by the conservateur. This was resolved by a plaque that served as a fig leaf. This plaque was hacked away in 1922 (presumably by some students). Actually, they hacked away a little more than just the plaque, they also attacked his reproductive parts! Oscar would have had something witty to say about that!
Old 31-July-2004, 10:25
ormus55

i dont know why? he never used them to reproduce!
Old 31-July-2004, 11:54
squidgy

I've started looking out for package holidays, but haven't found anything less than £100 per person for two nights yet.

Actually, there's a chance I'll be going in a group of three or four - and some of us might end up staying in single rooms. So I need reasonable single supplements.

I've found out that British Airways, Air France and BMI all fly from Heathrow to Charles de Gaulle, and Easyjet fly from Luton to Charles de Gaulle. But Luton is on the wrong side of London for me. I thought about flying Easyjet from Gatwick to Orly via Toulouse - but I doubt this will be cheaper. Eurostar goes from Waterloo to Gare du Nord. Gare du Nord is in Zone 1, Orly is in Zone 4 and Charles de Gaulle is in Zone 5.

National Express do coaches fairly cheaply, but it takes 10 hours. It's probably the cheapest way to travel at the weekend, but during the week, I think flying might be cheaper.

Thanks for the ideas.
Old 31-July-2004, 12:02
ormus55

we flew aireurope from gatwick/charles de gaul, for 100 quid each.
mind you it was 20 yrs ago!
so youve got it cheap?
Old 31-July-2004, 13:11
Appuleius

Are we assuming Ormus he practiced onanism?
or to to the fact he swung the other way.
Either way you are correct BUT you never know in an absinthe drunken state he may have made an error of gender.

BTW which brings a dodgy joke to mind..

Did you hear the one about the clergyman who named his parrot Onan, when the bishop asked why this name had been afflicted on the poor creature, the cleric replied, well my lord, Polly is common and any way he does keep spilling his seed.... geddit?
Old 31-July-2004, 13:51
squidgy

Thanks for link from thefirs - and thanks for suggestion about Oscar Wilde.
we flew aireurope from gatwick/charles de gaul, for 100 quid each.
mind you it was 20 yrs ago!
so youve got it cheap?
It seems like British Airways have some flights at £13 each way - plus taxes I guess. Will check again.
Old 31-July-2004, 14:49
squidgy

Thanks for thefirs link - I've found another directory - it's at http://www.pagesjaunes.fr - they have links to web sites of businesses listed. And I've found B&B's for only 23 euros a night for one person, or 40 for two! That's got to be cheaper than a package from lastminute.com
Old 31-July-2004, 15:06
ormus55

prices seem ok, but just remember that itll be pretty basic accom.
it wont be like this......
http://www.fourseasons.com/paris/vac...ervations.html
Old 31-July-2004, 19:31
squidgy

That's way out of my league! Does anyone ever stay at the four seasons at all?

The other thing I've noticed is that the cheapest bed and breakfasts tend to be in rural or forestry areas, more than 3km from the nearest RER station. They probably don't have street lighting either. So I must remember to pack a torch. The cheapest B&B that I've checked on a map to be within realistic walking distance of an RER station through a built up area is still 53 euros per night.
Old 31-July-2004, 20:41
shred

Hi squidgy.

Try formule 1 hotels basic but clean. Prices around 27 euros per night per room for single, twin or triple occupancy.

Example.

Home page.

Enjoy your stay when you go.

shred.
Old 01-August-2004, 22:35
squidgy

Thanks shred - you're a star.

How did you discover it?
Old 01-August-2004, 22:38
shred

Been there often on business and pleasure.

You'll love it.

No advice as to what to do, just do your own thing.

shred.
Old 03-August-2004, 08:44
fabienne

Bus from victoria is dirt cheap.
1 star hotels in Paris are a-plenty and cheap, check on the net.
Make sure you don't find yourself trailing the streets between 2 and 4pm, or you will ROAST.
HaVE A NICE TIME!
Old 03-August-2004, 16:33
squidgy

Bus from victoria is dirt cheap.
True - but it takes 9 or 10 hours doesn't it? I don't think I can cope with being stuck on a cramped coach that long.

If you're travelling during the week, it seems that flying can be cheaper - even taking into account the 8,20 euros for the Roissybus from Charles De Gaulle to Opéra Métro station. I live in the south of london, so it's also slightly cheaper for me to get to Heathrow than Victoria.

But thanks for the suggestion. I think I might wait until school term time before going.
Old 07-August-2004, 19:10
fabienne

Default a good article on Paris

Article quoted From The Scotsman:
SUSAN SPANO

Paris is generous. Its treasures are arrayed along the River Seine for everyone to see. But the longer you stay and the more often you visit, the more you find: secret gardens, restaurants only locals know, exquisite buildings far from the Champs Elysees.

I have a growing list of favourites, which, in the spirit of Paris, I’m delighted to share.

You would be unlikely to find Recamier square on the Left Bank if you didn’t know it was there, tucked at the end of the little Rue Recamier off Rue de Sevres near the Bon Marche department store. It sits in a quiet cul-de-sac surrounded by Paris apartments, geraniums spilling from their balconies. There are flower gardens, a waterfall, tall trees and barefoot children at play in the sandbox.

Get a picnic lunch at Le Grand Epicerie, the huge gourmet supermarket on the first floor of Bon Marche. Or sit in the square for a spell and then have lunch at La Cigale Recamier, 4 Rue Recamier, 011-331-4548-8658. It has tables outside and the best soufflés in town - spinach and parmesan, crab, strawberry or chocolate, from around £6.

The Musee Guimet on Place d’Iena is Paris’s serene Asian art museum, less crowded than the Musee d’Orsay or Louvre and renovated four years ago. It was founded in 1889 by industrialist Emile Guimet and is now a national museum with a collection that includes art from China, India, the Himalayas, Southeast Asia, Korea and Japan (including 19th century woodblocks by Hiroshige that provided inspiration for the French Impressionists).

Most breathtaking are objets d’art from French archeological digs in Afghanistan and Pakistan in the early 20th century. There’s a first to third century statue of a Bodhisattva in the Greco-Buddhist style developed in the Gandara region of Pakistan, after the arrival of Alexander the Great and a Buddhist stupa, unearthed in 1927 at Tapa-Kalan monastery in Hadda, Afghanistan. In recent years, art from these places has been subject to the ravages of war and despoliation, which makes these pieces all the more precious.

You can buy a silver model of the Eiffel Tower or a reproduction Belle Epoque poster at any touristy shop on the Rue de Rivoli. But there could be no more perfect or distinctive Paris souvenir than a white cotton handkerchief with the Arc de Triomphe embroidered on the corner from D Porthault, the city’s premier linen store.

Browsing at Porthault, 011-331-4720-7525, at 18 Avenue Montaigne across from the Hotel Plaza Athenee, is delirium for the linen enthusiast. Exquisite sheets, nightgowns, coverlets, tablecloths and cocktail napkins make you want to get engaged, just so you can sign up for the bridal registry. You could choose linen for a new home, as Jackie Kennedy did when she moved into the White House, or buy a cotton hankie (about £10) and dream.

Shortly after moving here, I wrote a story on budget restaurants in Paris. I missed a great one: Le Pre Verre, 8 Rue Thenard, 011-331-4354-5947, on the Left Bank near the Sorbonne. It’s nothing much in terms of atmosphere - cramped and a little smoky. But the food is amazingly sophisticated for the price: starters, £5; entrees, £9; and desserts, £3.

Chef Philippe Delacourcelle, who opened Le Pre Verre a year and a half ago, suggests a starter of cold, creamy lemon soup. I’d follow that up with my favourite entree, suckling pig, served in a mildly spiced broth with crispy cabbage. There’s a "prix fixe’’ lunch: appetiser, main course, a glass of wine and coffee for around £7. Talk about a square meal deal.

I’d been to the lovely Place des Vosges in the heart of the Marais many times before discovering the Hotel de Sully. Its mellow classical façade fronts the busy commercial Rue St. Antoine, near the St. Paul Metro stop. It was built in 1624 and elaborated upon by the dukes of Sully throughout the 17th century and became the French Ministry of Culture and Communication’s National Monuments Centre in 2000. The centre’s information office, to the right of the grand main gate, provides pamphlets on several historic buildings and sites in Paris; through the paved central courtyard on the left is the centre’s excellent bookshop. Occasionally there are exhibitions inside: an exhibition of photography when I was there.

In the garden beyond the central courtyard, all geometrically clipped shrubs bounded by a graceful orangery, is the real glory of the Hotel de Sully. And then there’s the secret passageway on the right side of the garden, emerging directly into the Place des Vosges.

Bercy, on the southeast side of Paris, looking over the Seine, was once the city’s wine "entrepot.’’ Now it’s reached by the new, fully automated Metro 14, which goes from Chatelet/Les Halles to Bercy, in minutes. Many of the old wine warehouses there have been converted into shops and restaurants, surrounded by some of Paris’ most stunning modern buildings. Chief among them is the former American Cultural Centre, designed by Frank Gehry in 1992. Now being transformed into a film museum, the free-form building is a clear precursor to Gehry’s Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain.

Bercy Park, a modernistic greensward, runs between the Bercy and Cour St. Emilion Metro stops. Its Garden
Old 09-August-2004, 21:39
Mr Pedantic

Thumbs down Hmmmm

Glad to see you can afford an ABROAD holiday on the taxes all working people pay
Old 11-August-2004, 08:52
Appuleius

Good comment Mr P pity about the syntax
Old 11-August-2004, 11:31

Exclamation Re: Hmmmm

Originally posted by Mr Pedantic
Glad to see you can afford an ABROAD holiday on the taxes all working people pay
So it's only 'working people' who pays taxes then is it?
Old 11-August-2004, 12:16
Senile OAP

Default Re: Re: Hmmmm

Originally posted by gem
So it's only 'working people' who pays taxes then is it?
I wished !!!!

I'm not working and still pay income tax !!

So send him to Paris on the bit I pay, I don't care.
Old 11-August-2004, 12:22
Zer02004

It's not only income tax that you pay Oldboy; the tax burden on non income is absolutely massive in comparison to what it was thirty years ago.
Old 11-August-2004, 16:31
Mr Pedantic

Well I pay 40% tax, I wonder how much went towards the holiday?
Old 11-August-2004, 20:28
Loathsome Cad

We bought a late availability package years ago and ended up in a high rise, wafer thin walls hotel in the 19th. It was 25 mins to the centre on the Metro and, when you think you'd be going in during the morning to do the tourist thing, back to base late afternoon and then same trip for a meal out.

100 mins per day on the Metro was pretty wearying - worth paying a bit more for central if you value your time.

DM

p.s. Give this place a miss, there were no translations whatsoever on anything except the flyers luring you in.
Old 11-August-2004, 22:40
squidgy

Duuh! That's what plastic is for.

Thanks for the point DM. I've noticed that the agents that usually sell packages do accommodation-only deals too - but I'm a bit wary of booking with an agent, just in case I end up in a high rise like you did. I'd rather book direct.

Actually, I'd rather not book at all - I'd rather go into the streets of Paris with a list of B&B's I'd pulled from http://www.pagesjaunes.fr earlier, and have a look at a few of them before deciding where to stay.

But it might be tiring and pricey if they're all heavily booked. Maybe it's easier to go without booking rooms if you're more familiar with the area - maybe not such a good idea on the first visit.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 11-August-2004, 23:15
Mr Pedantic

Originally posted by squidgy
Duuh! That's what plastic is for.

Thanks for the point DM. I've noticed that the agents that usually sell packages do accommodation-only deals too - but I'm a bit wary of booking with an agent, just in case I end up in a high rise like you did. I'd rather book direct.

Actually, I'd rather not book at all - I'd rather go into the streets of Paris with a list of B&B's I'd pulled from http://www.pagesjaunes.fr earlier, and have a look at a few of them before deciding where to stay.

But it might be tiring and pricey if they're all heavily booked. Maybe it's easier to go without booking rooms if you're more familiar with the area - maybe not such a good idea on the first visit.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Plastic........still needs to be payed

Tags
abroad, absinthe, collection, comparison, deals, free, google, hacked, home, line, orange, rates, share, shop, talk, thomson, web, zone