Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Tesco ADSL Broadband
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-October-2004, 00:05

Defaulttesco ADSL broadband router config setup and settings

from a post wrightnick made in <thread>:Tesco enters UK broadband market (thanks!)

'Thank you for your recent email,

Your modem should work with the service but please be aware that we can not give you Technical Support for this modem as it not our recommended one and there for unsupported, bellow are all the manual setting you will need to set it up to connect to Tesco broadband.

VPI = 0

VCI = 38

ADSL Modulation Auto, then try G.DMT, then try ANSI T1.413

Encapsulation Mode PPP over ATM (PPPoA - RFC2364) VC-MUX

Service name Home 500

Authentication CHAP

MTU = 1458

Receive Window (RWIN)

The formula for finding your "ideal" RWIN, is to take your latency (average ping time in ms x 1.5), multiply that by your advertised (download) speed, and divide that by 8.

Note: If setting RWIN below 8192, try using even multiples of MSS.'
more information on RWIN / MSS etc settings in ADSL Tips

Sil
Old 06-October-2004, 17:51
squidfire

DefaultRe: tesco ADSL broadband router config setup

Hi,

I'm with Tesco's for a week now speeds are great, no problems, online within 2 mins of getting activated, 9 day lead time

....and am setting up my wireless router...

it all works for one computer..... but no more, doesn't matter which one... I get an IP conflict as they are both trying to use the same IP.. I' using a D link ethernet modem and a belkin wireless router. splitter to Eth Modem ----> Wireless router (cabled) ----then out to the laptops.

I was told that the adsl line could be shared.... it works fine if I use a crossover cable to link 2 laptops together with the standard USB modem...

Anyone shed any light?

Cheers
Old 06-October-2004, 22:58
tigertales

UnhappyRe: tesco ADSL broadband router config setup

Hi

I've been using Tesco broadband for a couple of weeks now through the supplied USB modem and have been impressed with the speeds achieved.

However I've recently purchased a Netgear DG834G router but on setting it up to recieve Tesco broadband using the Netgear auto configuration I have come across the following messages:

LCP Down
CHAP Authentication Failed

Has anyone got any ideas how to resolve this.

Thanks in advance

PS I've tried setting my router manually using the setting supplied by silver but unfortunately I get the same messages and no connection!
Old 12-October-2004, 10:43
mattbarb

DefaultRe: tesco ADSL broadband router config setup and settings

Hello,

I wonder if someone could help me. I have a NETGEAR DG814 and would like to use it on the TESCO ADSL service but it doesnt work can anyone offer advice on how to get tit going?

Cheers,

Matt
Old 23-January-2005, 01:15
rha8

SETTING UP ROUTER

I have just sorted out Tesco ADSL on a Mentor (Alcatel chipset) Router for a friend - done with standard UK default settings as provided by Tesco (see below). Most of the settings are those commonly used. Only bother about the first four lines initially.

My friend had supposedly been "assisted" by a Tesco Customer service guy who told him they didn't support routers - he is 82 YO and doesn't really understand what to do.

The causes of the problem were as follows:

1. he had been plugging and unplugging the filter, phone cable etc and had not put everything through the filter.

2. The Username provided by Tesco was wrong.

eg

Username: Fred Smith should have been

Username:

Remedying 1 and 2 above immediately led to a connection and everything now works.

On the subject of Routers, for a cabled one, even though their Conexant chipset based models are panned on various websites - Steer clear of the Mentor Conexant chipset based routers - they seem to lose settings very easily.However, the 1 and 4 port Mentor Alcatel chipset routers are fine for a cheap solution and quite easy to set up.

I find the Linksys ADSL MODEM & 54G WIRELESS ROUTER a good piece of kit for a reasonable price - easy to set up.

Take my word, if you have the right Username and Password, setting up a router is no more difficult with Tesco than anyone else - quite easy oince you know how. Doing it with NTL cable set-top boxes and routers is another matter!

I spoke to a Tesco CS rep and have suggested they make customers aware of the problem.

Please add to this thread if this solution has solved your problem.

Also, the reason my friend changed to tesco.net is because he was wirth Giointernet - avoid them like the plague - uncontactable and far worse than Tesco, or indeed any other company I have come across.

TESCO INFO from "The Scream" - pity the Munch painting got nicked!

Quote:
'Thank you for your recent email,

Your modem should work with the service but please be aware that we can not give you Technical Support for this modem as it not our recommended one and there for unsupported, bellow are all the manual setting you will need to set it up to connect to Tesco broadband.

VPI = 0

VCI = 38

ADSL Modulation Auto, then try G.DMT, then try ANSI T1.413

Encapsulation Mode PPP over ATM (PPPoA - RFC2364) VC-MUX

Service name Home 500

Authentication CHAP

MTU = 1458

Receive Window (RWIN)

The formula for finding your "ideal" RWIN, is to take your latency (average ping time in ms x 1.5), multiply that by your advertised (download) speed, and divide that by 8.

Note: If setting RWIN below 8192, try using even multiples of MSS.'
Old 01-October-2005, 18:18
Undici

Hi,

I've got a Mercury ADSL router (using the Conexant chipset) and I've got trouble configuring it for Tesco broadband. I've configured all the parameters according to the given specifications, except for the RWIN, which I can't find in my router's user interface.

When I run the diagnostics test, all tests pass, except for the "ping host" test (and strangely the "Test PPPoPvc 0 PPPOE connection" always comes up as UNKNOWN).

Can someone please help me?
Old 02-October-2005, 15:00
iamian

Sorry I cannot help but I do have something like the set of same problems!

I joined Tesco Boradband and got a Sppedtouch which fits into the USB port. This works fine.

Now to wireless:

I disconnected the Speedtouch, loaded the software that came with the USB Network Adapter, connected the USB Network Adapter and according to the simple diagnostics (and LEDs) see that both Linksys will communicate.

Unfotunately I cannot connect to the internet.

Yes, everything is switched on and connected!

Are there settings to set?

I
Old 07-June-2006, 05:56
another simon

i'm having the same problems. i've been to port-forward.com and looked at NAT settings for individual programs and nothing works for any program, i've looked at forums like this and they all end in "no, didn't work" or "i'm having the same problem too" and no help!!!
Old 07-June-2006, 10:14
Zer02004

Have you set the IE connection applet to "Never Dial A Connection"?
Old 07-June-2006, 18:17
iamian

Hi

It's a long time since I posted that and since that time I've set up everything again and it all works beautifully.

Now I know that isn't a lot of help if you've still problems!

As Zer02004 has pointed out changed that setting is something I tried, and have still set.

I also changed the router settings to those "suggested by Tesco" - see rha's post below - this wasn't crucial but I've rarely dropped any connections since the change.
Old 13-November-2007, 13:05
LiAm86

do you know the password for getting into the Mercury adsl router ?

username
password

i've never used this router and ive lost everything that came with it..
Old 13-November-2007, 13:55

Try

Administrator
admin
Old 27-March-2009, 20:26
Jetpac

Hey guys im trying to set up a Belkin Wireless G adsl Modem Model: F5D7632-4 V5
and i have tried to follow these guidelines but the MTU only goes to 1454, no higher
there is no new firmwares available through belkin.

so ive tried to set it up but the phone line light just blinks and never connects. anyone have any ideas?

Tags
adsl, belkin, broadband, cable, company, computer, connection, dg834g, email, home, internet, line, lost, make, modem, nat, netgear, network, offer, online, phone, port, router, settings, software, speed, speeds, speedtouch, tesco, wireless

Show Printable VersionShow Printable Version
Email this PageEmail this Page
Linear ModeLinear Mode
Hybrid ModeSwitch to Hybrid Mode
Threaded ModeSwitch to Threaded Mode