Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > AOL

Old 13-January-2005, 16:27
deangsmith

Default AOL Broadband Connection woes

Hi all, just found this forum so I'm hopeful you can help.

The following is an edited version of a sorry saga regarding setup of AOL 9 on one of my customer's PCs.

1) Newly built PC delivered to customer, XP with SP2 loaded, all working
2) Used customers own AOL disk and BT 105 modem - no connection, different 4 figure error message each time!
3) Disabled Panda firewall, against my better judgement, still no connection.
4) PC taken away together with modem
5) XP SP2 rebuild to ensure clean machine - connection fails
6) XP SP1 rebuild (just in case) - connection fails
7) XP SP2 final rebuild - still no joy. Many more 4 figure error messages.

Background testing
Modem works fine - tested with PPPoA ISP
Line is fine - in constant use
AOL 8 loaded for testing - completely crashed PC
BT drivers tested instead of AOL variety - no joy as no PPPoE driver
DUN connection attempted - failed, can't remember error code
Connection to my own ISP via LAN - OK, but router settings were wrecked by AOL! Factory reset required.
Connection to my own ISP via BT modem - fine (PPPoA connection)
Connection to AOL via my own ISP - fine (proving that password etc is OK)

I think the problem seems to be related to PPPoE, the only thing I can't test properly as I don't know any other ISP that uses it in the UK.

The PC is latest spec AMD 64 so that is not the issue. AOL on helpline, extremely unhelpful suggesting spyware or line issue. Utter nonsense of course.

Any advice, pointers or comments would be appreciated.
Dean
Old 13-January-2005, 17:07
Alnath

Default Re: AOL Broadband Connection woes

I think the problem seems to be related to PPPoE, the only thing I can't test properly as I don't know any other ISP that uses it in the UK.
Originally Posted by deangsmith
AOL uses PPPoA
Old 13-January-2005, 17:18
deangsmith

Thanks Alnath but the AOL disk I've got force loads PPPoE and uses that. There appears to be no other option, but guidance on loading PPPoA would be appreciated. As mentioned in the first post I tried loading the standard BT drivers which are PPPoA to no avail.

Dean
Old 13-January-2005, 17:21
Alnath

I am not sure mate to be honest, i have been on AOL using PPPoA with a router for over a year and its been ok so even if uses PPPoE i cant see it being the cause of your woes. When i used the Voyager 100 modem i still used the BT drivers rather than the AOL ones so i think that rules out it being PPPoA/PPPoE.
Old 13-January-2005, 17:58
deangsmith

Alnath
I took you at your word and here are the results!

Reloaded the modem driver on the AOL disk (PPPoE) - no connection with error message 24-04-06-035 - The access network failed to properly respond.

Removed driver and loaded BT driver (PPPoA) - no connection with error message 24-04-10-034 - An error occurred while we tried to connect you to the AOL service.

I fear this may go on for a while! As an aside, do the 4 figure errors have any technical reference one can look at? I have quite a list here so such a resource could be helpful.
Dean
Old 16-January-2005, 03:23
Shadow9684s

aol tech support can use the 4 numbers, the first number is just version of aol and in ur case thats aol 9, the 2nd number is your connection method and in ur case that is broadband, the 3 number tells roughly where the problem is(in theory) and 4th number tells what the problem is(also in theory)
Old 10-March-2005, 00:49
shadow101

hi are you still having that problem? if so id like to try helping if you would provide the current aol version/build, DUN error, stage AOL reaches before the error appears and any other relevant info you have
Old 13-February-2006, 23:58
grisewos

Hi,

Sorry to reopen an old thread but I'm trying to fix a friends PC and am getting exactly the same errors i.e. "The access network failed to properly respond. (24-04-06-035)".

I too have been on the phone to AOL support who were at a complete loss and finally suggested reinstalling everything and trying again. I have reinstalled both AOL and the modem drivers (several times) but I still end up with the same result.

The PC is running XP Home SP2, AOL9 and the modem is the BT Voyager 105. I've got power and DSL lights on the modem permanently lit. The arrows in the system tray are both green but the tests that fail are the modem AOL diag tests (access via the 2 arrows in the system tray) which both claim that no modem is installed - the modem does not appear in control panel/modems either.

Any thoughts or advice gratefully received.

Thanks,
Simon
Old 14-February-2006, 15:10
cyberspacecowboy

Info taken from the AOL help page.....how much of this have you already tried.

C

Error: Unable to find an appropriate DSL Modem or Adapter to use for this connection

This error message occurs for two main reasons: if the USB cable is not plugged into the PC from the modem or if the drivers have not installed correctly. In order to fix this problem, please work through the following steps:

Check your physical set-up
Failure to connect might be caused by something as simple as a loose connection to the modem or a filter not being plugged in properly. Check the connections are correctly set up as follows:

Unplug every device from your broadband enabled BT phone line. Ensure to check all telephone points.
Locate the master phone socket and plug the filter directly into this socket .
Plug the DSL cable (the yellow line cable) into the DSL side of the filter.
Plug the other side of the yellow cable into your DSL modem.
Connect the DSL modem to the PC via the blue USB cable provided.

Please Note: For the best performance, AOL recommends that you always use your master socket and the DSL cable provided. Remove extension cables if present.

Repair the AOL Connectivity Service
Click Start, then Settings, then Control Panel.
Windows XP - click Start select Control Panel.
Double click Add/Remove programs.
Windows XP - Double-click Change/Remove Programs. If you don't see this option, click 'Switch to Classic View' in the top left hand corner.
Select AOL Connectivity Services from the list and then click Change/Remove.
Select Repair AOL Connectivity Services.
Click OK to start the repair process and click OK to any informational prompts.
Close all open windows and re-start AOL.
Enter the location name (i.e. Home or Work, click Next. AOL will now auto detect your connection device.
Confirm the connection device to use (e.g. your dial-up modem or Broadband) by clicking Next.
Click Sign on to AOL Now.

Enable modem connection (Windows XP Service Pack 2 only)

Click on Start and select Connect To.
Click on Show all connections.
Right-click Globespan USB ADSL LAN Modem Connection and left-click Enable.
Disable the Systray Alert option.
Right-click Globespan USB ADSL LAN Modem Connection and left-click Properties.
Untick Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity and click OK.
Close all open windows and attempt to connect.

Run a Dial-up Networking (DUN) Test

If these tests fail to connect, do the following:
Remove and reinstall your ADSL Modem
If using Windows 98 SE or Windows ME you can also uninstall and reinstall Dial-Up Networking

Make a note of the DUN Error Code in case you subsequently need to contact Member Services

If both tests connect, please proceed to the next troubleshooting step below.

Run AOL Spyware Protection
Go to AOL Keyword Spyware and click Run Now.
If you do not have AOL Spyware Protection installed, you will be prompted to download it first. Follow all on-screen instructions.
Once AOL Spyware Protection is running, click Get Updates to check for updates and then click Scan Now. The scan will last for approximately 10 minutes, when complete click View Details.
A list of suspected spyware found on your PC will be displayed. Click Block All to disable all items on the list or Block Item to disable individual items (if you recognise any software on the list which you do not wish to disable)
Click Close to exit.
AOL Spyware Protection can also be run while offline: right-click the AOL icon in the Windows system tray (the right hand corner of your screen, next to your PC's clock) and click AOL Spyware Protection
For more information about spyware and AOL Spyware Protection, go to AOL Keyword: Spyware.

Remove and reinstall DSL modem drivers
Old 14-February-2006, 18:18
grisewos

I've tried all of those except:
"Enable Modem Connection" - the modem does not appear in the list of modems despite AOL finding it and having the two green arrows in the system tray. I've tried to install the modem manually via "Add new modem" but none of the CDs or driver downloads appear to have a .inf file that the wizard is happy to accept - it just claims that the file does not have information about my hardware.
Old 07-December-2006, 19:45
brady

i had this problem too

not being able to connect to AOl, error message was 24-04-10-034

i downloaded an updated driver for my modem and it worked a treat

got the newest modem driver by going to AOL keyword "drivers"
Old 29-December-2006, 20:56
brackrlbrack@aol.com

Unhappy Re: AOL Broadband Connection woes

since installing wireless broadband my PC takes up tp 25 minutes to boot up, and it regularly fails to connect to AOL. Even although I am able to type this the AOL is not responding. Which means that my internet workings are, to say the least, intermittent.
Can you help please.
Old 08-February-2008, 03:22
busmas

i had the same problem when i tried installing on a new computer. everything seemed fine when i installed aol and loaded the bt voyager 105 drivers. then i couldn't get connected. the aol software wasn't recognising the modem even though it was recognised by in the device manager and enabled and recognised by the aol modem test in the bt software. but everytime i searched for the modem via aol even after uninstalling and reinstalling 4 times it said no modem was there. and when you tried to add a modem from a drop down list in the aol sign on options area, the modem they supplied wasn't in the list so you couldn't add it onto the modems connected window. Fantastic!

so i bought a thomson st510 speedtouch ethernet modem it and just plugged it in. the computer immediately recognised it and went straight onto the internet via firefox and all i had to do was enter my aol username i.e. busmas@aol and aol password and i'm straight onto the net with no interuptions in service. it only cost about a tenner which was worth it to stop all the aggro of slow response and lost connections. however it doesn't seem to work too well with internet explorer for some reason, maybe the settings need to be adjusted but i found it easier to download firefox.
Old 12-January-2009, 20:10
mankey

Thumbs down Re: AOL Broadband Connection woes

AOL, Since being taken over by Carphone Warehouse has become very third rate. It's become impossible to connect in the late afternoon and connection is only possible via Internet Explorer. I'm with them until October 2009 (because I had a free Dell laptop) and then I'm off. I find that I can work my way around the obstacles in my way and am just waiting till a really cheap, or free broadband is available. AOL is now a pile of ****ing rubbish that is destined to become a millstone around the necks of the Carphone Warehouse shareholders. Remember what I've said!
Old 05-October-2010, 20:51
Allanhosie

Smile Re: AOL Broadband Connection woes

Hi,

Sorry to reopen an old thread but I'm trying to fix a friends PC and am getting exactly the same errors i.e. "The access network failed to properly respond. (24-04-06-035)".

I too have been on the phone to AOL support who were at a complete loss and finally suggested reinstalling everything and trying again. I have reinstalled both AOL and the modem drivers (several times) but I still end up with the same result.

The PC is running XP Home SP2, AOL9 and the modem is the BT Voyager 105. I've got power and DSL lights on the modem permanently lit. The arrows in the system tray are both green but the tests that fail are the modem AOL diag tests (access via the 2 arrows in the system tray) which both claim that no modem is installed - the modem does not appear in control panel/modems either.

Any thoughts or advice gratefully received.

Thanks,
Simon
Originally Posted by grisewos View Post
Think it`s time to ask AOL for a new router, it might be to old 105 was for 2mb maybe up to 5mb maybe his line has been upgraded to now take 8mb and router can not handle that god knows why AOL do not come to that theory.I had the voyager 50 a few years back when BT updated my line from 1mb to 2mb the voyager 50 stopped working nothing got it going AOL had to get bt to put me back to 1mb till they sent a new router I think the 105 could take up to maybe 5mb but might not take up to 8mb(was not built to take that bandwith) if lines upgraded.They should upgrade router free and will do something to get you back online till it arrives.

Tags
adsl, aol, broadband, bt, cable, computer, connection, free, free broadband, happy, home, internet, isp, laptop, lights, line, lost, master socket, modem, network, new computer, online, phone, router, screen, settings, slow, software, speed, speedtouch, voyager, wireless