Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Broadband Internet Access

Old 26-April-2005, 20:27
planettracey

Default Cannot send email through bt mail server.

Hi, Ive been with BT broadband basic since sept 04, my incoming mail server is with my own website host, I have not had any problems until 3 weeks ago when after I set up my BT wireless router, a day or so after I could not send emails. I have spent on the BT tech help line but they just kept passing me around and know one knew why it wasnt working. I have tried all the techniques read on this forum, but still no avail. Also, each month I send out a newsletter by a mass mailer program to the members on my website, but this is now not working also.
Any new advice is very much appreciated

PlanetT
Old 27-April-2005, 09:25
mondeo v6

Default Re: Cannot send email through bt mail server.

I had this when setting up a router on BT Yahoo-what SMTP server are you using? The pop3(incomming) needs to be your old host but the SMTP needs to be mail.btopenworld.com. That's what i found anyway!! What email client are you using?
Old 27-April-2005, 10:13
planettracey

Thanks for your reply, the incoming email client is mail.planetreunited.com which is my web address. I can receive no problem. Ive just changed the SMTP to btopenworld and this error came up?

The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was 'tracey@planetreunited.com'. Subject 'wedtest', Account: 'mail.planetreunited.com', Server: 'mail.btopenworld.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '530 authentication required - for help go to http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/pop/pop-11.html', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 530, Error Number: 0x800CCC78

Infuriating!
Old 27-April-2005, 10:23
mondeo v6

http://www.btyahoo.com/smtp
Old 27-April-2005, 12:19
planettracey

Thanks again, still not working. Am going to reinstall my accounts and see if that works.
If not, then I need a pen, some paper and a really fast pigeon!

Thanks for your help
PlanetT
Old 05-May-2005, 15:30
Mr Publicity

I have the same problem as planettracey in that 2 days ago I was suddenly unable to send e-mails from my primary e-mail account and today my secondary e-mail account has gone the same way. The only difference between planettracey's error message and mine is that my error message refers to 'mail.btinternet.com'. I have:
1. disabled my virus software
2. checked the 'my server requires authentication' box in tools/accounts
3. re-installed my e-mail accounts
4. spoken to 3 different BT people who tried but failed
So, like planettracey I am really stuck. Can anyone help?
Thanks
Mr Publicity
Old 05-May-2005, 18:23
fabienne

You have to have an authenticated account with BT now. To get one, do this:
create a new freee account here:
BT Yahoo! Mail with 5 email addresses that you can access with Outlook Express or anywhere via the web
http://www.bt.com/broadband/bb_info....free_bty_email

and once you've been through the rigmarole, amend just your smtp details to mail.btinternet.com then in Outgoing mail server,amend settings, then tick my server requires authentication, and that's it!
geez....

Beware, though:in the T & Cs
You acknowledge that Yahoo! reserves the right to log off accounts that are inactive for an extended period of time. You further acknowledge that Yahoo! reserves the right to change these general practices and limits at any time, in its sole discretion, with or without notice.
Now, what does "extended period of time mean" mean? The normal yahoo accounts are 90 days, so make sure you check from time to time!

Last edited by fabienne; 05-May-2005 at 23:01.
Old 05-May-2005, 18:55
Mr Publicity

Thanks....but the web page link you kindly provided does not work!

Also, I've just had another conversation with BT. He set my account up at his end on Outlook Express 6 and was able to send an e-mail OK, so his conclusion is that the problem is with Outlook Express 5.5 (which I presume I have as I have Internet Explorer 5.5?). Is this true, and if so is there a fix or is the only solution to upgrade to Outlook Express 6????

Last edited by Mr Publicity; 05-May-2005 at 19:12.
Old 05-May-2005, 22:42
fabienne

drats, they've changed the page. Try this one:
http://www.bt.com/broadband/bb_info....free_bty_email

You would be better off doing the upgrade to OE 6 and IE 6, together with all the security upgrades from http://www.microsoft.com windows upgrade.

Last edited by fabienne; 05-May-2005 at 22:58.
Old 25-May-2005, 16:11
Ashaman Jay

Angry Re: Cannot send email through bt mail server.

I had the same problem after our company BT ADSL line went down. When it came back up we were getting Event ID 4127 errors.

Instead of forwarding to BT I set it to use DNS and switched it to NOT use authentication or encryption and everythings been fine since.

I'm of the opinion that BT have changed something, or else the email would have came back up at the same time as our ADSL.

Why would it suddenly stop working after we've had NO problems with it for months.
Old 15-September-2007, 08:28
dubris

I also have exactly the same problem as you. I have tried all the solutions offered on BT site have contacted the technical help line (at 50p/min) who talked me through exactly what I had already tried with no success. Emailing them only gets me directed to the usual FAQ pages. I have been with BT for five years but I think I will have to change to Tiscali soon.
No help, but commiserations
dubris
Old 15-September-2007, 21:43

Thumbs up Re: Cannot send email through bt mail server.

DON'T go to Tiscali. You would find them far worse then BT (and many other ISP's).
I moved to BT (from Tiscali) when we moved home and they set up our new telephone line/number together with BT's broadband and they were both up and running before we actually moved in. It's been fine now for 11 weeks.

Unless you have changed something recently I suggest that you just check that your settings are correct. Mine are:
pop3: mail.btinternet.com
smtp: mail.btinternet.com (requires authentication)

Good luck!
Old 24-January-2008, 14:28
Emirk

Bt have closed open replay,

Try sinding out on your Bt/Yahoo email address you will see thsi works.

BT are doing this tio stop users sending out non-bt/yahoo email addresses

If you have your own domain, I suggest you use your own SMTP server to send the emails out.
Old 25-January-2008, 15:42
Brian

I had problems with my BT Mail, could receive but couldn't send.
So I went to tools accounts advanced
altered outgoing mail from 25 to 587, left incoming mail at 110
Worked for me.
Hope this helps.
Old 14-March-2008, 03:35
rg4e.bti

BT internet pop smtp mail service help carries the same ambiguity as the BT, Talk21 and Yahoo ones. You cannot use the BT Yahoo or the BT Yahoo mail Plus service with the mail.btinternet.com to pop from any ISP other than BT. If you migrate to another ISP other than BT you have to change the server name; it does not re-route. I have spent hours searching for an answer and stumbled by chance on the pop.mail.yahoo.com / smtp.mail.yahoo.com and then on plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com / plus.smtp.mail.com. BT and its associates have left handfuls of different addresses that might re-route to the same server. Try one at a time until you find one that works best.
Good Luck!
Old 23-March-2008, 15:29
oldk

After a couple of years without any problems, I started having problems two days ago with sending my mail through the BT SMTP server. I use an email address for my own domain rather that the username.btinternet.com address and this was the cause of the problem.

It now seems to be necessary to add all email addressses that are going to be used to send messages to a list of verified accounts. This is done by logging into the BT web mail interface, navigating to mail options, selecting mail accounts and then adding addresses to the list. The system sends a verification code to the email address being added and this has to be input before outgoing mail is enabled.

Easy to do, just a shame BT isn't informing users!!

Mike
Old 24-March-2008, 18:46
oogzy

Thanks that last poster......worked a treat ;o)
Just changed my outgoing to smtp.mail.yahoo.com and it all works again.
For some reason BT had stopped my changing my 'from' addy within outlook to my domain name.
If i changed the incoming, it did not receive test mail so i set that back to mail.btinternet.com
All ok now.
Thanks
Old 24-March-2008, 18:50
jeep

All you need to do is to verify your email addresses, even the ones that are not BT addresses but TLD names that you send emails through. Just go to your BT account click on Options (Top Right of the mail page) and type in all the addresses that need verification. You will then be sent auto emails from BT and you need to copy the authentication code into the page that you are presented with, its all very easy, just follow the instructions and all will work afterwards.

BT were/are very naughty not to tell us that they were making this change but when you consider that this might just cut down on nuisance emails and spam, then the hassel is worth it.

Hope this works for you all...
Jeep
Old 25-March-2008, 13:09
Sidanuk

After a couple of years without any problems, I started having problems two days ago with sending my mail through the BT SMTP server. I use an email address for my own domain rather that the username.btinternet.com address and this was the cause of the problem.

It now seems to be necessary to add all email addressses that are going to be used to send messages to a list of verified accounts. This is done by logging into the BT web mail interface, navigating to mail options, selecting mail accounts and then adding addresses to the list. The system sends a verification code to the email address being added and this has to be input before outgoing mail is enabled.

Easy to do, just a shame BT isn't informing users!!

Mike
Originally Posted by oldk View Post
your a star, i use 2 different e mail addresses for work , ive been stuffed all morning till i saw your post

many thanks mate
Old 26-April-2008, 00:19
Jamdo23

Brian,
Thanks indeed, your solution worked for me.....nice one!
Old 22-May-2008, 12:38
jeep

Smile Re: Cannot send email through bt mail server.

Hi All.

To authenticate the TLD you are using to send mails, goto btinternet.com and sign in, click the mail over in the rh column, once in mail, you will see again on the right at the top, 'Optiions' click options, go to accounts and add an account, this will be the TLD you want to use. Having done that an email will be sent to your bt mailbox with an authentication code in it, simply block and paste it into the space provided in the authentication page. I wouldn't bother closing pages, just open another one and go into your bt mail account through it, it will save you a few seconds..
All the best
Jeff
Old 21-June-2008, 17:17
dave85941

BT were/are very naughty not to tell us that they were making this change but when you consider that this might just cut down on nuisance emails and spam, then the hassel is worth it.
No, this was a really stupid move by BT and in some cases it might well increase spam. I think the intent from BT is to prevent spamming senders (BT users) using their SMTP servers so this may prevent spam going to other ISPs and BT as well (the internet in general).

However by forcing BT users to authenticate when sending email they also make sure that the BT email address is included in every email the sender sends, therefore forcing the BT email address to be made public. Maybe this won't affect most people but I (and others) keep my main email address for my ISP completely private and then use a purchased domain to send mail to that address from many different addresses (e.g. whenever I sign up to something I create a new email and forward it to privateemail at btinternet.com - so for this site I did thescream at mydomain.co.uk forwarded to privateemail at btinternet.com - this is a bit fiddly but enables me to trace any sources of spam). In Outlook I have several different identities for sending mail all with return emails at different addresses at my purchased domain so that I never have to release my main BT address.

I have I think got round this by creating another BT email address just for sending mail but BT would have reduced spam for its members better by advising them of this tactic and also warning those already using this tactic that their new SMTP authentication makes their users' main BT email address public when sending in Outlook.

Instead of doing what they have done why could they not have investigated and made expamples of some spammers who were misusing BT's smtp servers?
Old 07-July-2008, 00:08
dave85941

Actually now I have taken to having an email account in Outlook that I use to create a separate email for most people I don't really trust (intentions or ability to protect my email address, which is most people). Fiddly in that I have to change the from/reply to email for every different person (i.e. I usually have somethingtoidentifythem at mydomain.co.uk) but it really doesn't take that long and is a small price to pay for knowing where any spam is coming from.

BT have really scuppered this as as if verifying each address used like this wasn't enough extra work, now you can only verify up to 10 of these per additional BT email account.

By the way the BT emails asking to verify email addresses are causing some concern as a google reveals many think they are phishing emails (I wasn't sure at first, and there seems to be no obvious way to visit this verify link by logging into bt.yahoo.com). (Actually I have just found the instructions after logging into bt yahoo - very, very complicated)

(The emails have a subject line of "Action required: update your email settings" d start with:

"We're upgrading the security of your BT Yahoo! Mail account to help prevent identity fraud and spam.

These enhancements will help protect you from 'spoofing' - when people use alternate addresses to disguise an email's real sender, possibly to commit fraud.")

Surely someone else who uses BT for email finds this annoying? The system that I use for spam prevention is really quite good and this is an issue of BT deciding on one way to try to reduce spam in general that could increase spam or obstruct a good way to prevent spam for its users.

As I say why can they not just investigate and punish users who do abuse email facilities? Am I spoofing if I send an email to BT with a reply address of bt at mydomain.co.uk, and another to Sky with a reply address of sky at mydomain.co.uk? Yes, the bit before might seem like spoofing but the intention is not to make the company think I am part of them, but to make sure any spam sent when they sell my email address identifies them and can be easily cut off by me.

OK, with verification I think it would prevent someone else other than me sending an email with the "from field" from say, bt at mydomain.co.uk, but only if their ISP were BT (even then I'm not sure it'd be effective even for that, I'd have to look the verification over in more detail)! I can't see the whole internet taking on this system. (And anyway I don't really need it as I use say, bt67930 at mydomain.co.uk in reality so each email I setup is highly unlikely to be used by a spammer other than the company I am actually corresponding with).
Old 07-July-2008, 00:30
Former TS! Team

So why don't you just use another mail provider other than bt/yahoo if you own your own domain?

Owning my own domain, pointing my email @ bt/yahoo is the last thing I would do.
Old 11-July-2008, 23:53
dave85941

Memfis, your reply is aimed at my initial complaint I think, if you have understood the thread at all.

All the problems arise out of sending email when connected to BT broadband, i.e. restrictions on BT's SMTP servers.

Initially BT made it so you had to verify on SMTP with your BT user details, so in effect your BT email would always be somewhere in the header of the email you sent. Number one bad on BT''s part as this would give spamming companies a chance to get your main email (this would only be a disadvantage assuming you were normally clever enough to not use your main email as a return email).

If you use BT for broadband, aside from this issue, there should be no problem forwarding emails to BT pop servers as they are generally reliable and act like any others and you don't have to go through BT/yahoo to receive mail. Any case, my point was that people using my method and not realising the consequences of BT's new system (I had to think about it as I'd set up my method when I was into email and pop and smtp etc and now have forgotten alot and was just using it on autopilot), would have an increased risk of receiving spam.

I wish I was able to explain my method more clearly, it really is quite simple, without the new BT complications. I have seen on the web some clear instructions on a method like mine, but unfortunately I forget the address.

Now BT didn't take away the first verification step, but they have added a second, which is that you have to verify each and every "return alias".

Now I do have to wade through BT/yahoo in order to verify to be able to send mail via SMTP now, if I want the return address in Outlook to be "anything at mydomain.co.uk" (each time I have a different "anything").

To add insult to injury I have just had a number of emails that I sent silently refused! All that I got was an email asking me to verify return email addresses in general and it said otherwise I might have problems sending emails, but it didn't even tell me that the particular email that triggered their warning email hadn't been sent. (I can connect them only because I tried sending a few emails with differetn return to addresses and all those addresses I used had the BT warning email sent to them. By the way, anyone receiving those emails from BT because a BT user had used their domain in an unauthorised way in the reply field of Outlook would be most confused because there is no explanation from BT about this eventuality, which surely they must have foreseen as it is the whole reason they are doing this is it not??). I have gathered from the potential recipients that the emails were not sent. So BEWARE please people, you don't even always get error 530.

I am sure there are many solutions I could use, such as smtp servers other than BT that will accept sending even if I am connected to the internet via BT broadband, but I'm not convinced I should have to.

ONe of the things that prompred me to reply originally was that I saw Jeeps comment that it might just cut down on spam which is the line BT is pushing but I believe to be false.

As I say I think I might be partially convinced if after studying the verification process I can't find any loopholes, so that BT are protecting me and those I correspond or trade with (well not me but imagine it was a bank domain) from BT customers using mydomain aliases to send spam/fraud, but really there are many non-BT customers, and in less regulated countries, that will be able to use mydomain as a return address for spam/fraud, so what is the point (there are probably also programs that will be able to forge the headers anyway while still retaining false return addresses to trick the BT servers)? In effect BT are penalising their own customers trying to bring in a system that might be nice but is probably not going to be universally accpeted (I may be wrong, perhaps there is some kind of new internet standard that BT have subscribed to, but this doesn't sound like BT). Spam investigators should be able to find the real originating IP/domain/user of the spam, and to really prevent "email spoofing" a system based on PGP or similar would be far more secure I would presume.

I wish I could explain all of this better and more concisely. There seem to be on the web a number of people asking questions about this new BT system, and a number of replies telling people how to get the SMTP to authenticate, but not enough I fear discussing the merits of the BT system. I can't say I know all the facts but the whole thing feels to me like the BT boast about WEP on its Home Hubs at a time when WEP took about 2 seconds to crack, and also the automatic updates on its Home Hubs that seem to cause users so many problems and might have limited security benefits.

Last edited by dave85941; 12-July-2008 at 00:41.
Old 27-November-2008, 02:01
axelf

Also as an FYI I tried to set up my BT Mobile to send SMTP Mail direct through my own smtp server .... only to find it hits some kind of SMTP Mail proxy on vodafones network host212-183-132-20.uk.access.vodafone.net ..... this device then sends a QUIT message after some negotiation and my server gives it the OK to send the email ..... on The client it gets a 530 Error message "Authentication required". Now I have added my sender email address to the yahoo verified list ... not sure if it takes a while to filter into the vodafone proxy server I'll try again tomorrow.

what a bunch of assh@les!!
Old 04-June-2009, 18:08
continentalclub

Well, it now appears that the verification page on the BT Yahoo site has disappeared...

An hour and seven minutes on the 'phone and we're no further forward. Indeed, it took some time to divert the agent from the standard response of wanting to adjust Outlook settings and then blaming my TLD.

I had to take them step by step through their own instructions to show them that the whole page referred to in their own online tutorial (their ref: Point 7) has just vanished.

Anyone else had the same problem?
Old 21-June-2009, 14:10
amici

I have just switched to bt business broadband and can not find mail options to get third party email adresses verified.
Old 21-December-2009, 15:35
Des417

I had problems with my BT Mail, could receive but couldn't send.
So I went to tools accounts advanced
altered outgoing mail from 25 to 587, left incoming mail at 110
Worked for me.
Hope this helps.
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Thank you for this - I spent ages with BT Tech Unhelp and got nowhere - 5 minutes on here and I can send emails again.

Des417
Old 06-February-2010, 14:57
mukaumedia

It is 587.

The rigamarole in working with multiple passwords across several email accounts for various clients is a nightmare in itself (with or without 1Password) - but then to find that sending won't bleeding work because of BT's odd settings. Grrrrr..

Now I'm happy. 587 works while I set up and test clients' sites and email settings.

Hopefully their ISP won't make it so hard when they come to set up all the details in their email clients...

Tags
adsl, adsl2, aol, broadband, bt, bt business broadband, business broadband, email, fake, forward, free, internet, isp, line, mail, make, mobile, network, online, phone, port, security, settings, smtp, talk, tiscali, tools, virus, web, windows, wireless