Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Hardware > ADSL Router Mods
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-October-2008, 10:05
jarviser

DefaultRe: BT honehub orange power light problem**Upgrade at your own risk**

Hi Guys and Gals,Has anyone ever had a problm with there BT Homehub with the only light working is the Power light solid orange.Does anyone know how I could reset the homehub,this was my friends and he does not use BT anymore.So I was going to try and use it to extend my wireless range.I think he had a power loss when flashing and thats why the orange light .
Is there anyone had this problem and could help me solve this.
Many Thanks
Originally Posted by coleraine View Post
Orange light? - must be a V1.5 (Always as well to mention the version)
I wonder why he tried to reflash in order to extend a wireless network? You can set it up as a repeater, either wired or using WDS/WEP, whilst running 6.2.6.H firmware, and in any case the V1.5 will not reflash with anything below 6.2.6.C without having all the lights go wierd. When on 6.2.2.6 the lights on slave connected on ethernet when setup will be Orange - Red - Off - Green - Off, so the "power" light will be orange, but it may not actually be the "Power" light on that firmware.

Try the reset button first and if that does not work, do another reflash to 6.2.6.H using the "kernel recovery method" here http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/hubrecovery.html (towards the end of the article).

How to set up as a repeater here http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/r...hubswired.html and here http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/repeaterhubs.html

EDIT: Just had a thought, "when flashing" may not mean what I thought it meant! Anyway the recovery method should get you out of it.

Last edited by jarviser; 03-October-2008 at 10:25.
Old 03-October-2008, 14:40
coleraine

Thumbs upRe: BT honehub orange power light problem**Upgrade at your own risk**

Orange light? - must be a V1.5 (Always as well to mention the version)
I wonder why he tried to reflash in order to extend a wireless network? You can set it up as a repeater, either wired or using WDS/WEP, whilst running 6.2.6.H firmware, and in any case the V1.5 will not reflash with anything below 6.2.6.C without having all the lights go wierd. When on 6.2.2.6 the lights on slave connected on ethernet when setup will be Orange - Red - Off - Green - Off, so the "power" light will be orange, but it may not actually be the "Power" light on that firmware.

Try the reset button first and if that does not work, do another reflash to 6.2.6.H using the "kernel recovery method" here http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/hubrecovery.html (towards the end of the article).

How to set up as a repeater here http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/r...hubswired.html and here http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/repeaterhubs.html

EDIT: Just had a thought, "when flashing" may not mean what I thought it meant! Anyway the recovery method should get you out of it.
Originally Posted by jarviser View Post
First class,I had to do the Kernal way,but everything is working fine cheers,What is the best way to use this hub as an extender,can i use this hub with my existing orange broadband conection,could I plug it into my laptop and search for wireless conection.If you could help me out it would be great,I am using Orange live box and 5 port switch at the moment.This is a V 1.5 BTHUB.
Cheers

Last edited by coleraine; 03-October-2008 at 14:41. Reason: spelling
Old 03-October-2008, 15:41
jarviser

DefaultRe: Unlocking BT Home Hub **Upgrade at your own risk**

The wired method will work with all master routers with ethernet, no change is required on the master, and it allows you to use WPA-PSK encryption which WDS connection will (almost certainly) not. A 10 metre ethernet cable or a pair of HomePlugs using the Wired method will put a decent secure wireless access point on the other side of the house. Or it will add wifi to a router that has no wifi.
You just need to modify the article to set the slave Homehub's IP address in the same range as the master - i.e. if the Orange box uses 192.168.0.1, set the slave hub as 192.168.0.175

Re the wireless method, not all routers have WDS, and WEP encryptiuon can now be cracked in 10 minutes thanks to YouTube hacking instruction videos. It also takes a while to get working from the emails I get!

Best drop this now, as we're in danger of hijacking the original subject.
Old 06-October-2008, 04:18
knawafleh

Thank you for this work,
Can you plz help me i do the setup for the sip and when i try to call my user on the router on my it give me it`s ringing but the phone not ringing and i try to chang it from phone to all and it stell same can you help me plz and there is no way to use the bt hub phone with the sppedT.. 6.2.9.6 v i mean after the reflashing?
Thank you .
Old 12-October-2008, 20:06
tony jw

hi, can anyone tell me if they have unlocked the new black bt router v2.0 yet. as i am trying to find a way how to do it. any info about it i would be very greatful
Old 14-October-2008, 17:25
ascentuk

ive followed this guide before for other home hubs and all has gone well although this time i dont seem to be able to get the upgrade software to be able to find the hub

ive also tryed the hub in its safemode and it still dosent find it

any ideas ?
Old 14-October-2008, 17:53
jarviser

ive followed this guide before for other home hubs and all has gone well although this time i dont seem to be able to get the upgrade software to be able to find the hub

ive also tryed the hub in its safemode and it still dosent find it

any ideas ?
Originally Posted by ascentuk View Post
Make sure the PC is set up with fixed IP address 192.168.1.100, subnet 255.255.255.0 Gateway and DNS both 192.168.1.254, and use ethernet 1 port not 2. If that does not fix it, use administrator mode on PC and switch off third party firewalls.
Old 15-October-2008, 13:25
Ceefax

hi, can anyone tell me if they have unlocked the new black bt router v2.0 yet. as i am trying to find a way how to do it. any info about it i would be very greatful
Originally Posted by tony jw View Post
Don't think so Tony - I'm still looking also.

I've a got a new unused HH 2.0 which is completely useless to me in it's 'locked' state, so at this rate I'll sticking it on eBay.

But I will wait a bit longer to see if anybody can find a way...
Old 15-October-2008, 18:06
jarviser

I've a got a new unused HH 2.0 which is completely useless to me in it's 'locked' state, so at this rate I'll sticking it on eBay.
Originally Posted by Ceefax View Post
If your main router doesn't have draft-n they make good wired slave hubs if the wifi is working OK.
Old 15-October-2008, 19:16
SyNo1

QuestionRe: Unlocking BT Home Hub V1 *Upgrade at your own risk*

Hi
I am new on here and don't know anything too technical about computers. I have put the new firmware on my BT Home Hub, but when I try to connect to the internet it just directs me to the Speed Touch admin page OR it asks me to complete my set up with the wizard and, if done, it says it has configured my 7G and its all ready to go. However, when I check the internet connection on Speed Touch, it says everything is working on the connection except PPP is down. So it still won't connect! Can somebody please tell me what I am doing wrong and what I can do to actually get this thing online?
Thanks in advance
Sy
Old 15-October-2008, 20:00
Ceefax

If your main router doesn't have draft-n they make good wired slave hubs if the wifi is working OK.
Thanks for that Jarviser - That's a very informative site you've got there.

Unfortunately, ever since the sad demise of my Belkin router at the beginning of this year, I have been 'making do' with an old SpeedTouch 330 (a 'bare-bones' ISP freebie ADSL USB modem). So I don't exactly have a "main router" to speak of. The 330 is OK for the time being, but of course it doesn't give me wireless capabilty.

When I was given an unwanted HH v2.0 a couple of months ago I thought to myself: "Aha! now I don't have to buy a new router!" Never being with BT Broadband, I hadn't considered that the damn thing would be locked.

I did a Google search & ended up finding Wheel-nut's original unlocking guide & this forum. I got momentarily excited until I realised this method only worked on the v1.0.

As far as I can gather, the HomeHub isn't a particularly good router anyway (or at least, the earlier models). Other people have said that I might as well try & find buyer & then purchase a good router - which I might well do in the future.

But I do like the challenge of unlocking it. Plus, it looks quite nice!
Old 17-October-2008, 16:39
Setanta

DefaultRe: Unlocking BT Home Hub V1 *Upgrade at your own risk*

I am new on here and don't know anything too technical about computers. I have put the new firmware on my BT Home Hub, but when I try to connect to the internet it just directs me to the Speed Touch admin page OR it asks me to complete my set up with the wizard and, if done, it says it has configured my 7G and its all ready to go. However, when I check the internet connection on Speed Touch, it says everything is working on the connection except PPP is down. So it still won't connect! Can somebody please tell me what I am doing wrong and what I can do to actually get this thing online?
Thanks in advance...

Sy I am new to this also...but managed last night to connect to the internet via the HH...YEE HA...Thnx everyone...I to had a problem with the PPP but worked it round like this...First have YOUR ISP broadband login username and password handy... disarm ur anti-virus and firewall...connect your HH to ur computer but NOT to the internet yet.. .via ethernet cable...Go to Start > Run ... and type telnet 192.168.1.254 then click "OK".
• Login using the same login details as before...
Login: admin
Pass: admin
• Look at the text, and if you see 'Speedtouch 7G' and 6.1.6.9 in the top right corner then you have SUCCESSFULLY updated the firmware of your HH and can now proudly call it a 7G.
• Type exit to leave telnet.
• Start > Control Panel > Network Connections > Local Area Connection -(rightclick)- Properties
• Click on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" to highlight it, then click on the "Properties" button.
• Click on the "Obtain an IP address automatically" option and then click "OK" and "OK" again.
• Plug in the phone line into the 'broadband' socket of the router.
• Open your browser and type in
• Click on Speedtouch on the blue menu on the left.
• Click on the "Set Up" link under 'Pick a task...'
• Click the "Next" button on the popup window
• Select Routed PPP then click "Next"
• Select 0.38 from the list for VPI/VCI
• Select PPP over ATM (PPPoA) for 'Connection Type'
NB. Only if you're on AOL, choose PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE).
• Enter the username and password for your ISP broadband login. Click "Next"
Enter the username and password for YOUR ISP i.e Virgin,Postoffice broadband login exactly (case sensitive...that is where my PPP problem arose) hope this helps...Slan Setanta.
PS whilst in the router if login 'admin' password 'admin' doesn't work...type login 'Administrator' and leave password field empty click next. Sinn Sinn.
Old 19-October-2008, 10:44
Dimension

Hi.

To save me looking through 43 pages to find my answer, I though I'd sign up and see if someone can help me out.

I had a BT Home Hub v1 in the UK but now live in New Zealand and have a few questions.

1. Do BT ask for the hub back once I leave BT?
2. I Would like to use the hub as a combined modem/wireless router on my new ISP. Is this possible?

If so:

what is the success rate?
could someone point me to the page or a link with step by step instructions?

Many Thanks.

Last edited by Dimension; 19-October-2008 at 11:27.
Old 23-October-2008, 16:33
wakaru

http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/hubunlocking.html
Old 23-October-2008, 20:39
Dimension

So do BT ask for their home hub back or am i ok to go ahead with this?
Old 23-October-2008, 20:54
Wheel_nut

Not knowing where/how you got the HH, it is impossible to say. If you got it under contract with BT, read the Terms and Conditions of your contract. If you bought it on eBay, it's anybody's guess.

I thought you said you were in New Zealand ???
Old 23-October-2008, 20:57
Dimension

i got the hh under a bt contract which has now ended. guess i'll have to read the terms and conditions.

i am in new zealand but i left the hub with family in case it needed sending back
Old 23-October-2008, 21:12
Dimension

just had a look through the total broadband t&c's and can't find anything about sending the router back after the end of a contract. i also realised that i have an old voyager 205 that they didnt ask for back when i upgraded to the hh so i guess im good to go?
Old 23-October-2008, 22:01
SyNo1

Thanks in advance...

Sy I am new to this also...but managed last night to connect to the internet via the HH...YEE HA...Thnx everyone...I to had a problem with the PPP but worked it round like this...First have YOUR ISP broadband login username and password handy... disarm ur anti-virus and firewall...connect your HH to ur computer but NOT to the internet yet.. .via ethernet cable...Go to Start > Run ... and type telnet 192.168.1.254 then click "OK".
• Login using the same login details as before...
• Look at the text, and if you see 'Speedtouch 7G' and 6.1.6.9 in the top right corner then you have SUCCESSFULLY updated the firmware of your HH and can now proudly call it a 7G.
• Type exit to leave telnet.
• Start > Control Panel > Network Connections > Local Area Connection -(rightclick)- Properties
• Click on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" to highlight it, then click on the "Properties" button.
• Click on the "Obtain an IP address automatically" option and then click "OK" and "OK" again.
• Plug in the phone line into the 'broadband' socket of the router.
• Open your browser and type in
• Click on Speedtouch on the blue menu on the left.
• Click on the "Set Up" link under 'Pick a task...'
• Click the "Next" button on the popup window
• Select Routed PPP then click "Next"
• Select 0.38 from the list for VPI/VCI
• Select PPP over ATM (PPPoA) for 'Connection Type'
NB. Only if you're on AOL, choose PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE).
• Enter the username and password for your ISP broadband login. Click "Next"
Enter the username and password for YOUR ISP i.e Virgin,Postoffice broadband login exactly (case sensitive...that is where my PPP problem arose) hope this helps...Slan Setanta.
PS whilst in the router if login 'admin' password 'admin' doesn't work...type login 'Administrator' and leave password field empty click next. Sinn Sinn.
Originally Posted by Setanta View Post
Hey Setanta thanks for the tip, but when I click run and type telnet 192.168.1.254 Vista says it cannot find it so I cannot carry on with the procedure you're recommending. Is it because I am running Vista Ultimate do you think? I have tried all the rest of what you recommend and it does show up in my network setting as a SpeedTouch A693AD so I reckon it thinks it's a 7G! Frustrating to say the least! And i have been to the website for the router, but nothing works and my ISP info aren't accepted when trying to log on. Any input would be appreciated, but I can't see what else I can do!

Thanks for your help
Sy
Old 24-October-2008, 00:40
Wheel_nut

Try this:

In the procedure you quote, .....

? Start > Control Panel > Network Connections > Local Area Connection -(rightclick)- Properties
? Click on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" to highlight it, then click on the "Properties" button.
? Click on the "Use the following IP Address" option and then
enter IP Address 192.168.1.10 ; Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 ; Default Gateway 192.168.1.254
Click on Use the following DNS Server Addresses and leave the two IP Addresses blank
click "OK" and "OK" again.

Reboot your Computer and the Home Hub

? Plug in the phone line into the 'broadband' socket of the router.
? Open your browser and type in
Login: Administrator
Pass:

Now resume the setup procedure.
Old 24-October-2008, 14:55
SyNo1

I've had it! Now I can't even get pst the set up procedure without speedtouch server 192.168.1.254 asking for a user name and password and it isn't admin/admin or Administrator/blank or my ISP user name and password! I can get to the speedtouch website if I reset the hub, but then if I try to do anything to change the settings or set it up it asks for the user name/password! What is going on? I have evenm reinstalled the firmware and it is still asking for a user name/password half way through set up! I think I may have inadvertently broken it or something because I can't understand why it's behaving so randomly! Can anyone help shed some light on it?
Thanks
Sy
Old 24-October-2008, 16:17
Wheel_nut

I can't tell from your rant so can't help you unless you can enlighten us as to whether:

1) You have successfully re-flashed the HH to the ST7G Firmware

2) You have turned off all firewalls and Antivirus Programs

3) You are connected by Ethernet cable to Port 1 on the HH

4) When you open the Browser and go to URL do you see the Speedtouch 7G screen?

5) Have you set up a static IP Address as I suggested

p.s. If you don't understand any of the instructions, please ask.
Old 26-October-2008, 12:08
jarviser

So do BT ask for their home hub back or am i ok to go ahead with this?
Originally Posted by Dimension View Post
The hub is yours to do with whatever you want. If you bought it at the BT shop or off a mate or ebay, it's yours.
If you got it as part of a contract then it's still yours to keep at the end of the contract just like Sky boxes.
Now whether BT think you ought to do with your own property just what you want is another subject, hence the popularity if reflashing or locking in early firmwares, to keep their controlling hands off your setup.
They don't interrogate serial numbers at their end, unless you are daft enough to sign onto FON then it allegedly takes notice of them to make sure you are keeping your side of the bargain.
Old 26-October-2008, 13:05
jarviser

Re reflashing using Vista - has anyone done that successfully? My Vista will no longer do it (I keep an old XP laptop for that). It's either since I went SP1 or since I loaded Kaspersky. Don't know which because I did them at the same time, but disabling Kaspersky will not fix it, and uninstalling it is not an option I want to do.
You do have to "Run as Administrator" on the recovery tool with Vista, I do know that.

There's a difference between using and when Speedtouch is loaded. The latter option does ask for a username and password and will get no further. Make sure that you have not been using a Bookmark with homehub.home in there - it will do what you describe SyNo1. Always use the IP address.

I also don't understand why the DNS is not also set as 192.168.1.254 when fixing the PC's IP address.
Old 03-November-2008, 18:16
Tonyz

Hello. Firstly thanks for the great guide. Works a treat!

Managed to flash the speedtouch so it's now a 7G.

I'm currently with O2 and with a little tweaking the internet works perfectly fine. I'm still having problems with getting VoIP to function correctly.

I've read that the 7G firmware messes up the voip side of things? The router shows that the VoIP account is connected and live. However, when I go to make a call using a wired phone connected to the hub, the call will go through BT rather than over VoIP. Will this always be the case until I re-flash the BT firmware?
Old 05-November-2008, 02:54
tmy

I am facing a problem with BTHH v1 flashed with ST7G firmware brought off ebay. I tried both the files "ZZMYAA6.196.bin" & "ZZN1AA6.196.bli" but with same result.

Although the hub is connected to adsl and Internet Connectivity test passes without any error but all the pcs connected either via LAN / USB / Wireless are unable to browse the net. This happens after 1~3 hours of successful browsing. Restarting the hub fixes this problem.

Things I can do:
Login to the hub via browser & telnet.
Check Internet Connectivity (it passes)
Browse my local lan pcs
Restart the router via browser & telnet.

Things I can't do:
Browse the internet

Is it a firmware issue or a problem with the BTHH hardware?
Old 11-November-2008, 17:52
polo-mk3

Hi Guys

I have just got off ebay a cheap BT Home Hub v1.0 with a dect 1020 phone.

As i would like to get rid on my free virgin netgear adsl router and my cordless phone and have it all-in-one.

After looking thou all 43 pages on about unlocking the BT Home Hub and need to know i few things.

What is the best 7G firmware to use and can i still use the dect phone for just landline calls? i dont care about VOIP as i will never use it.

As long as it works and i can use the phone, ill be happy

Cheers guys
Old 12-November-2008, 12:06
lozza69er

Hi Guys

I have just got off ebay a cheap BT Home Hub v1.0 with a dect 1020 phone.

As i would like to get rid on my free virgin netgear adsl router and my cordless phone and have it all-in-one.

After looking thou all 43 pages on about unlocking the BT Home Hub and need to know i few things.

What is the best 7G firmware to use and can i still use the dect phone for just landline calls? i dont care about VOIP as i will never use it.

As long as it works and i can use the phone, ill be happy

Cheers guys
Originally Posted by polo-mk3 View Post
Yeah i basically want to know that same as you. I also am on virgin and would like to use the bt hub and the phone for normal landline calls. Anyone help?
Old 12-November-2008, 15:23
jarviser

The various good bits of the 43 pages are summarised in this link, including the source of the 7g firmware.

VOIP on 7g has not yet been cracked properly. Landline should work by default on a BT line as the relay insied the hub defaults to landline if there is no config for VOIP set up, but try it after reflashing.

Be aware that some ISPs can be accessed on BT's standard 6.2.2.6 firmware, including Be, by modification of the config under Root access which is partly described in this next link. On 6.2.2.6 the lights are properly arranged.

http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/lock6226.html
Old 12-November-2008, 16:07
polo-mk3

The various good bits of the 43 pages are summarised in this link, including the source of the 7g firmware.

VOIP on 7g has not yet been cracked properly. Landline should work by default on a BT line as the relay insied the hub defaults to landline if there is no config for VOIP set up, but try it after reflashing.

Be aware that some ISPs can be accessed on BT's standard 6.2.2.6 firmware, including Be, by modification of the config under Root access which is partly described in this next link. On 6.2.2.6 the lights are properly arranged.

http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/lock6226.html
Cheers jarviser

What ill do is give it a try when I receive it and post if it works, I just wanted to make sure what others recommended 1st.

Tags
adsl, adsl2, belkin, broadband, bt, bt home hub, cable, dhcp, dns, files, firmware, home, home hub, hub, internet, isp, key, laptop, lock, make, netgear, network, product, router, settings, sipgate, speed, speedtouch, speedtouch 7g, tiscali, voip, web, windows, wireless

Previous Thread | Next Thread
Show Printable VersionShow Printable Version
Email this PageEmail this Page
Linear ModeLinear Mode
Hybrid ModeSwitch to Hybrid Mode
Threaded ModeSwitch to Threaded Mode