Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Virgin Media

Old 07-December-2006, 00:32
catman

Default virgin email

Hi, can anyone throw any light on why suddenly, without interference, i can't get my emails. i am on ntl broadband but have a virgin.net email addy. The outlook express is suddenly asking me for a password. the password is ticked "remember" and when i put in the password which was set up when i set up the virgin email, years ago, it won't accept it. is also set up never to dial a connectionin settings. it's doing my bloody head in cos i can't fathom what i have done wrong.

Please help antony.perks@ntl world.co.uk ( my other addy) thanks
Old 07-December-2006, 17:00
jamesdavies403

Default Re: virgin email

Sorry I cant help, but I am having a similar problem. I cannot get my emails all of a sudden. It just times out whenever I try.

Odd thing is, if I try from my wireless laptop I can get them!
Old 07-December-2006, 17:01
Optimistic Curmudgeon

Some of my friends report that they frequently have problems with Virgin email. It seems to be server problems/maintenance. Have you checked Virgin's 'status page' on their website ?
Old 07-December-2006, 19:40
Safe Sane Consensual

No problems with Virgin email either via broadband or dial up.

Don't forget if your are not using them as an ISP you will need to dial up into their network every so often to keep the account active.

Virgin email address is the most reliable of any I have used.

Seems it could be a settings problem.

Perhaps Virgin just want you to ring tech service to sort things out!!!!
Old 13-December-2006, 23:20

Virgin is hopeless at the moment. Spam which was up to 50 a day seems to have been nicely reduced..but I have had a number of chums sending mail from Hotmail to me over the past week and I receive nothing and they get delayed message back then unable to connect back as below. It is also taking forever to get mails down from the server on busy evening. An hour so far with no success. Mailwasher can see then but Thunderbird can't download.

''This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Unable to deliver message to the following recipients, due to being
unable to
connect successfully to the destination mail server.

######.###@virgin.net ''

Virgin Support reply

''I would like to inform you that you are receiving the error message as Virgin.net is not allowing mail relaying to any third party domain servers or vice-versa.

Please be advised that this ensures that any domain server should not gain access to our mail server and therefore making the Virgin.net mail servers secure.

I would request you to copy the header of the delayed mail if you receive any and send it to us so that we can escalate the issue to our faults team.''

This of course makes no sense at all when I have told them clearly that someone is sending from Hotmail directly to me. and have alreadys ent them the full header. The very odd thing though is if I route from Hotmail (one of my chums lent me his Hotamil account to troubleshoot) via one of my website emails to the virgin addresses the mails get through.
This would suggest that Virgin is bouncing anything directly from Hotmail. Can anyone else confirm this problem?
Many thanks
Bert
Old 13-December-2006, 23:31
Optimistic Curmudgeon

As I said earlier, some of my friends report frequent probs with Virgin Email....I rest my (their ) case !
Old 14-December-2006, 05:29
Safe Sane Consensual

As stated earlier no problems with Virgin email.

Relaying is definitely not allowed and I log in monthly to Virgin using a direct dial up connection to my account there.

I have had many more problems with my Eclipse email accounts in less than a year than with good old Virgin which I have had for ages (possibly for more than a decade )
Old 14-December-2006, 18:27
Elevated

I have been having problems with my virgin.net email account all week, friends with hotmail addresses have had their emails delayed or have reported to me (by phone!) that they have had reports back saying I had blocked their address (which I haven't). Also some emails with legitimate attachments are being bounced saying my message box is full.
Old 14-December-2006, 21:23

Despite what Vic says above there are big email problems at Virgin. He is wrong to say all is OK. Also if he rereads my post the problem as Elevated says is that mail sent directly to Virgin from Hotmail is bounced back by the Virgin servers. Nothing to do with relayed mail at all. I have been with Virgin for many years and will not doubt continue but despite 4962kbps down 368 kbps up at peak time which is far better than a few weeks back as of 8.18pm tonight I cannot even send plain text emails with attachments as the servers do not respond and I am being timed out. The 'mailbox full' when it is not with legitimate attachments being bounced is a message people that have tried to send me mail have had in the past. Virgin should give an option of opting out of spam filtering as I have lost some very important mail of late.
Bert

I have been having problems with my virgin.net email account all week, friends with hotmail addresses have had their emails delayed or have reported to me (by phone!) that they have had reports back saying I had blocked their address (which I haven't). Also some emails with legitimate attachments are being bounced saying my message box is full.
Originally Posted by Elevated View Post
Old 18-December-2006, 13:19
Random Runner

Virgin closed my email account last week because I'm on pay as you go and I hadn't logged on to the website recently. In the past they have always sent warnings but in this case they just shut it down.

I keep asking them to reinstate it and pointed out that I buy virginwines through the emails they send to my virgin address but no reply. I'm staggered by the myopia of this - stupid, stupid, stupid.
Old 22-December-2006, 11:32
Tubby

Angry Re: virgin email

Hi,
I'm also currently having problems with my Virgin Broadband e-mail. Some messages are taking up to ten hours to arrive in my inbox, yet others arrive in seconds! Also, one friend using a .fsnet account has sent several e-mails in the last week or so that have not arrived at all (I know they were sent because another friend has forwarded them from his Tesco account - thus allowing me to check that the original sender had the correct address, which he did).
I have contacted Virgin about this but have not had a reply yet.
I should say that his is the first real problem that I've had with Virgin in the 18 months or so that I've been with them, however e-mails not getting delivered at all is totally unacceptable.
Old 22-December-2006, 12:22
jamesdavies403

This problem with the fsnet address could be a virgin.net spam filter. I am also having trouble getting emails from my dad who has a fsnet.co.uk address.

I have emailed customer support (is that the right word, 'support'?) to see if this is the case.

Will let you know if I get a reply.
Old 22-December-2006, 15:52
SUPERNAN

Up until the past week I've had no problems with Virgin e-mail, but something seems to be wrong at the moment. Some e-mails are just slow to arrive, but with one contact in particular, she receives my mail and responds, but none of her replies are getting to me. The Virgin e-mail helpline is hopeless. They have a standard reply which is of no use.
Old 29-December-2006, 14:09
kate.g

I've spent a happy time with Virgin online support and various other things today - freeserve/orange are blocked by Virgin (started early December). They won't remove the block. The online tech support agent said:

"They will need to get in contact with freeserve/orange (as these are now part of the same company) and ask them to contact tucows to get removed from the spam list."

I know that Spamcop is also reporting freeserve for unacceptable spamming, so lots of other ISPs may well block freeserve/orange.

It's a pain.... up to now virgin has always been fab, been with them for about 10 years without a glitch. Customer service not what it was! :-(

K
Old 02-January-2007, 14:14
Safe Sane Consensual

My experience is similar to that of kate.

I fully support Virgin's action in reducing spam even if this means inconvenience in receiving emails from those ISP's that take no effective action to deal with the problem.

Maybe encourage those from whom you have not received emails to complain to their service provider demanding that they too take action to reduce spam.
Old 07-May-2008, 08:12
duncan.hooley

I can`t get E`mails either probably doing something wrong but find it very strange that I can`t convince the system that(when I try to change my password) I know my mothers maiden name and my date of birth it`s very frustrating.
Old 07-May-2008, 11:44
Safe Sane Consensual

I have disowned my mother and therefore never let anyone know my mother's maiden name!!!

Sorry some are still having email troubles - all is OK for me
Old 01-June-2008, 13:44
caro

Cool Re: virgin email

I have made several phone calls to VIRGIN they DO have a problem, the whole system is down. BT engineers are working on it, but prob not fixed until Tuesday. I have asked for my system to be checked all ok IT IS THEIR PROBLEM.

Caro
Old 01-September-2008, 12:53
dz0rpw

I'm also having this problem. Called Virgin and their Tech support are saying that a big problem occured "3 months ago" and they still can't fix it.

The available options are

...wait for 72hrs to see if they can fix it (but he didn't hold up much hope of this)
...have the email account deleted and re-created (but all mail in the in-box will be lost)
...use Google mail and forget Virgin mail...(his recommendation!)

You can't even navigate around their web pages as most are not available...time to move broadband provider...

Their Tains aren't much better either!
Old 01-September-2008, 19:50
Safe Sane Consensual

Some of the above information is in conflict with that given in Virgin Media Service Status

All services including email are shown as green and this accords with my current experience.
Old 08-October-2008, 01:27
Ray_gti-r

They're having problems AGAIN - Virgin admit this but ONLY when you ring the 0800 number!!!
Previously wasted an hour going around in circles at virginmedia.com, checking webmail & Virgin service statuses. No Joy.
It's been down since about 4pm today (now 11pm) and the same thing happened yesterday (6th October 2008).
Addendum:- now 1:30am 8th Oct - works fine!?!
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh ... can't wait for the next installment. (Really? I can wait a Looooooooooong time - this stuff trouble for me that I don't need.)
Old 08-October-2008, 19:40
grahamh

Virgin have told me that it could take another 48 hrs to fix. In the meantime, they say it works "intermitently". Not for me it doesn't. Have been trying all day, since 9am - it's now 7.30pm.
Old 08-October-2008, 20:45
shrublander

Unhappy Re: virgin email

I've had no success with Virgin e-mail (via Outlook Express or webmail) since yesterday evening (7th October). First found out it was a general problem by phoning the service status number this morning. Service status web page now agrees there is a problem. We are assured by the phone message that we should not worry 'because the technical guys are working on it and they'll have it back in a jiffy' (or words to that effect).

It's a long jiffy! Do we get rebate on monthly fees for 'outage' as we would with a BT phoneline?
Old 08-October-2008, 22:30
I'll get some legs soon..

Do we get rebate on monthly fees for 'outage' as we would with a BT phoneline?
Nope, simply because they don't charge for email. What you pay them for is internet connection. The email service is a free service to anyone who has internet connection with them. This is the same for virtually all ISPs.
Old 08-October-2008, 23:46
Ray_gti-r

This is "progress"?

Ticket Number 813922
Time Stamp 08/10/2008 09:54
Priority MSO <========================= DUH?
Status Opened
Department Outage Surveillence Team
Estimated Time Fix 16:00 <=============== it's now 23:45!!!
Customers Affected Broadband Internet
Raised By Matt Giannasi
Postcode Areas
Placename
Detailed Description
Customers with a Virgin.net email address will currently have a loss of their email services.
Our engineers are currently investigating. <=== Hmmmm ... investigating ... for 14 hours?

Updates
[NONE!!!]

FWIW the last time this happened (a few months ago) it took days to resolve.
Old 09-October-2008, 02:15
Ray_gti-r

OK - shedding a little light it seems that my relatively new virgin.net pay-as-you-go account is now working (webmail & Outlook are OK - I guess that's because I'm paying for that "service" so I get some kind of priority?).

My other virgin.net email adresses - used since 1998 - still don't work after a further 3 hours (17 hours elapsed) of "investigation" by the virgin Outage Surveillence Team.

I am a really, really unhappy bunny.
Old 09-October-2008, 06:42
screamer007

Alas, it appears to be back up and working now.
Old 09-October-2008, 09:36
wilf1234

hi - does anyone know if this is affecting ....@blueyonder.co.uk addresses? my email has been down since 0930hrs yesterday (wed 8th) - the status page is a joke!!!

cheers

Wilf
Old 09-October-2008, 16:00
I'll get some legs soon..

hi - does anyone know if this is affecting ....@blueyonder.co.uk addresses? my email has been down since 0930hrs yesterday (wed 8th) - the status page is a joke!!!

cheers

Wilf
Originally Posted by wilf1234 View Post
Depends where in the UK you are. It's working fine here at the moment, but there are usually email problems somewhere in the UK each day. Check out the VirginMedia newsgroups.
Old 09-October-2008, 22:46

All I want from virgin is the truth - if email down it's down! How long will it take to fix - if the answer is "we've been working on it for 48 hours now and are still no further forward "so be it but tells us the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've been a loyal virgin customer for 12 years but I'm moving to gmail!
Siany!

Tags
bbc, blocking, broadband, bt, cable, connection, eclipse, email, files, forward, free, google, hotmail, internet, laptop, line, lost, mail, make, network, online, phone, port, settings, smtp, speed, tesco, virgin, web, windows, wireless, zone