Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Networking

Old 13-April-2007, 15:12
can7ona

Question Netgear DG834G & BT Home Hub for Xbox Live?

Hi,

This is my first post so forgive me for any mistakes!

I am currently connected to the Internet using my BT Home Hub. I have a Netgear DG834G that I don't use at the moment and wanted to know if there is a way for me to set it up so that I can connect it to my Xbox 360 and get access to Xbox Live and also my media files on the PC?

I have been looking at the settings options on both the Home Hub and the DG834G but am really stumped for ideas! Please help!

Thanks
Old 13-April-2007, 18:23
Screamager

Default Re: Netgear DG834G & BT Home Hub for Xbox Live?

I haven't got the router you have but I had problems with my Xbox 360 and my Belkin router. Apparently some routers are 100% compatible with the Xbox, and others arent. The ones that are have an Xbox compatible stamp on them, so, if your problems continue, you may have to get one of the compatible routers. See http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/co.../equipment.htm

for details of compatible routers.

Back to the router, make sure you portforward ports 3074 for UDP and TCP and port 88 for UDP. If you can, also place your Xbox live in the "DMZ" or equivalent on the router you have (this takes the Xbox outside of the NAT fiewall). After re-booting the router, run a test on the Xbox live connection and your NAT status should say "OPEN" rather than "STRICT" or "MODERATE" as it would do without these changes.

Even with the changes, my son can't host games properly as other players get a lag. During normal game play though it is fine.

This may also help: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/co...ods/router.htm
Old 13-April-2007, 21:05
Austin_KW

I have been looking at the settings options on both the Home Hub and the DG834G but am really stumped for ideas! Please help!
Not sure what you want to do here.
Do you want to use the netgear to connect your xbox to the Home hub using wireless. It can be done but I dont think that the DG834G can run as a client adapter or WDS bridge with the netgear firmware.
You would have to install one of the open firmware images on it (eg openwrt/ddwrt). This will then allow you to use the DG834G as an ethernet wireless adapter.

Re everton66's post; Not sure how the xbox does nat traversal, but I think it uses a third party server which then hands over the connection to another xbox. Some router NATs will be stricter than others, and they will not allow the connection from a different IP address. If you have problems then as he suggested adding the xbox to the DMZ (instead of port forwarding) should help.
Old 13-April-2007, 21:10
Screamager

Portforwarding and DMZ worked individually for me in that both, on their own, gave me a NAT status as "OPEN". I chose to have both at the same time to be "ultra compatible"!
Old 13-April-2007, 21:12
Screamager

By the way, make sure you set up a static IP address on the Xbox and use that IP in the port forwarding and DMZ options. Set up the static IP address by choosing the manual option for network settings rather than automatic.
Old 13-April-2007, 21:33
Austin_KW

Portforwarding and DMZ worked individually for me in that both, on their own, gave me a NAT status as "OPEN". I chose to have both at the same time to be "ultra compatible"!
Originally Posted by everton66 View Post
I suppose that would work, If it can't match a port forward'ing rule it will just forward to the DMZ. However in general you are reducing you security, which may not be such an issue with an appliance like the xbox.

You dont need to set a static ip address, on the home hub http://192.168.1.254/ select "advanced" (username=admin, password=admin) select "devices" then select "edit" for your xbox device. Check the box "Always use the same address" and click apply.
Old 14-April-2007, 10:30
can7ona

Thanks for the replies.

Everton66: Thanks for the links. Which router am I to apply the portforward settings to? Also, to be honest with you my networking knowledge isn't great - I have no idea about DMZ at all! :s

Austin_KW: Yes I want to use the netgear to connect to the hub using wireless.

The Netgear recognises the Xbox and vice versa but I can't get the HomeHub to see the Netgear. The HomeHub ip settings are 192.168.1.x whereas the Netgear is 192.168.0.x - is this something I should change?

I had a quick read of the openwrt and ddwrt pages and the DG834 is listed as a Work In Progress for the openwrt and isn't listed as a supported device on the ddwrt page. Not sure if I should try this to be honest as I have very little experience in this area.

Surely if I can get the Hub to see the Netgear all should be well, right? Isn't this just a case of getting one network to see another?

Many thanks again!
Old 14-April-2007, 13:44
Austin_KW

The BT hub will see the netgear (look under advanced>configuration>wireless>repeater>"scan for networks")
The problem is that you have in effect 2 wireless networks one on the bt and one on the netgear. I don't thing that the netgear supports WDS which would bridge the 2 wireless networks. Also the netgear does not support client mode which would allow you to use the netgear like a wireless adapter.

One of the other firmwares would allow you to do this but you do run the risk of turning the netgear into a brick/paperweight especially if it is work in progress.
Old 14-April-2007, 14:40
can7ona

You're right the Hub does see the Netgear under Repeaters (What does this actually mean though?)

The Netgear definately does not support WDS and there doesn't seem to be a way around this other than to try the Openwrt but looking into it a bit more there seems to be far too much programming involved for me.

Looks like I might just have to go and get a dedicated wirless adapter for the Xbox then! Do I have to buy the Microsoft one or does it not really make any difference?

Thanks
Old 14-April-2007, 23:47
Screamager

If Xbox is your thing I would get the Xbox compatible router. I dont know how much they are for ADSL, but for cable it is around 40 from PC World. An ADSL router must be in the same ball park.
Old 15-April-2007, 03:31
Austin_KW

A router is a router, so I would not go buying 'an xbox compatible' router before you check if your homehub works ok. I dont think that the NAT on the home hub is that strict but if port forwarding has problems then just add the xbox to the DMZ. The home hub also has the option to turn off the NAT (firewall) but dont do this unless all else fails.
port forwarding is at http://api/cgi/b/games/cfg/?ce=1&be=1&l0=4&l1=5
or
DMZ is at http://api/cgi/b/publicip/cfg/?ce=1&be=1&l0=4&l1=5

Also remember that you better network bandwidth and latency (delay) if you use a wired connection to your router. If you use a wireless connection then all your wireless devices must compete for access with each other and with any interference.

everton66, If you DMZ your xbox (when port forwarding works) you may generate additional unnecessary traffic on your internal network and load on your router.
Old 15-April-2007, 09:00
Screamager

Arrow Re: Netgear DG834G & BT Home Hub for Xbox Live?

everton66, If you DMZ your xbox (when port forwarding works) you may generate additional unnecessary traffic on your internal network and load on your router.
Originally Posted by Austin_KW View Post
Thanks Ausitn. I am on cable and no nothing about home hubs so thanks's for the clarification re static IP address etc. I will also remove the xbox from the DMZ and see if that makes a difference. If the game still gets a lag though when it is being hosted, what do you suggest?

I hear what you say about the "xbox compatible router" and I dont know if it is the answer or not. But if a router is just a router, why are there routers on the xbox website that microsoft state do not work at all with the xbox?

Incompatible Routers:-

DLINK
  • DI754
  • DI764

LINKSYS
  • BEFSR11
  • BEFW11S4 (V2)
  • NR041

NETGEAR
  • MR314
  • RP114
  • RP334
  • RT311
  • RT314

SMC
  • 7004VBR
  • 7004WFW
Old 15-April-2007, 11:14
can7ona

I had a pay around last night and even tried getting the Home Hub to act as the access point with the Netgear as the main router (if you see what I mean) but just couldn't get it to work so I think I will give up on this now.

As an aside - do you know if I can attach a NAS device (like the Buffalo Linkstation) to the Home Hub? I e-mailed BT to ask but they replied saying that they don't know and that I should contact their IT Advisor servies (at 25 a time I don't think so!)

Many Thanks
Old 15-April-2007, 13:25
Austin_KW

I had a pay around last night and even tried getting the Home Hub to act as the access point with the Netgear as the main router (if you see what I mean) but just couldn't get it to work so I think I will give up on this now.
You probably cannot connect using wireless because that is WDS bridging and the netgear does now support it.

Now that said, (because here you are trying to use the homehub as a client adapter) try it anyway. What what you are doing may only need bridging in one direction. Set the ssid and wep to be the same on both routers. Set the home hub to enable wds to the netgear (use the scan to find it). Disable dhcp on the homehub and restart. It should not work, but it just might be enough to have bridging on one end (maybe if you only connect one device, the xbox).

NAS is just another network device. If it does dhcp just plug it in. If it only supports static IP the set an IP to be on your subnet.
It is not documented but the homehub has a simple NAS built in, Just plug a FAT formatted USB disk or thumb drive into the Type A usb port. It is a bit slow only USB 1.1 but it works for a single disk. Or you can use the hub USB port to share some printers (usually the older non multifunction printers)

everton66, Nat traversal is difficult. And these days you and whoever is hosting the service probably both have NATs to cross. Newer router NATs should be better as more people are hosting services like games. I was not disagreeing with you I just did not want anyone to think that the router needed an xbox compatible sticker. If you a buying a new router it is something to look for, if you already have a router then first try it as it should work.
Old 15-April-2007, 13:48
Screamager

Thanks Austin.
Old 16-April-2007, 10:53
can7ona

Now that said, (because here you are trying to use the homehub as a client adapter) try it anyway. What what you are doing may only need bridging in one direction. Set the ssid and wep to be the same on both routers. Set the home hub to enable wds to the netgear (use the scan to find it). Disable dhcp on the homehub and restart. It should not work, but it just might be enough to have bridging on one end (maybe if you only connect one device, the xbox).
I read on another forum that I had to disable DHCP and change the IP address to be in the same range as the Netgear. When I unticked the DHCP box on the Home Hub and hit "Apply" I couldnt' gain access to the Hub again (I tired using the Hub Manager shortcut and manually using the IP address). I tried "ipconfig" and saw some very random IP address being assigned to the LAN - but even this address wouldn't allow me access to the Hub again.

I reset the Hub and tried changing the IP address first (admittedly I was more unsure about what exactly to do here than with the DHCP box!) and again I couldn't gain access to the hub and ipconfig showed another strange IP address.

Both times access to the Internet was also cut off!
Old 16-April-2007, 15:44
Austin_KW

If you disable dhcp then the hub will not assign you an address. When your PC fails to get a dhcp address it will assign itself a private IP, but this private IP is only useful if you connect 2 PC together directly together.

If the bridging had worked then the address would have been assigned by the netgear (but as expected it did not work). To access the hub you then need to give your PC a static address in the same range.
Old 16-April-2007, 17:32
can7ona

To access the hub you then need to give your PC a static address in the same range.
How do I do this part? Sorry for being a bit thick!
Old 16-April-2007, 19:59
Austin_KW

look at http://portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm

BTW portforward.com is a good resource to find howto setup ports on any router
Old 03-October-2007, 20:19
Atkins,register l8er

Is this how my ports should look for the device? These are the default settings for Xbox Live, yet I still get NAT as Strict!

Thanks in advance.

and sorry if this is a big bump, I didnt check the post date when replying.
Old 20-April-2008, 18:18
Luke

Question Re: Netgear DG834G & BT Home Hub for Xbox Live?

Look i am just trying to save myself 59 now how the hell do i use a wireless adapter in my Xbox 360. i have connected it and it says it is not there.
dont give me technical terms because i wont understand just tell me how to do it.... thanks
Old 21-April-2008, 09:45
Screamager

Look i am just trying to save myself 59 now how the hell do i use a wireless adapter in my Xbox 360. i have connected it and it says it is not there.
dont give me technical terms because i wont understand just tell me how to do it.... thanks
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Errr - no. With an attitude like that I would be surprised if anybody will help you.
Old 18-October-2008, 23:11
doggie dog

can this netgear dg834g act as a bridge for the 360?
Old 31-October-2008, 00:05
sskarbinski

Cool Re: Netgear DG834G & BT Home Hub for Xbox Live?

the netgear dg834g works perfect with my home hub v1.5 and xbox 360 with repeter but it took hours of messing about
Old 19-November-2008, 20:18
doggie dog

so close, yet so far!

the xbox live connection test has finally passed the dns... only to fail at mtu... ive changed the mtu to 1400 on both routers (netgear dg834n is the master router downstairs and netgear dg834g v3 is the router connected to my xbox)

can anyone advise me please
Old 05-January-2009, 03:37
alex412

Talking Re: Netgear DG834G & BT Home Hub for Xbox Live?

just save yourself all the trouble and buy a huge ethernet cable
Old 10-March-2010, 16:21
jamie721

Thanks Ausitn. I am on cable and no nothing about home hubs so thanks's for the clarification re static IP address etc. I will also remove the xbox from the DMZ and see if that makes a difference. If the game still gets a lag though when it is being hosted, what do you suggest?

I hear what you say about the "xbox compatible router" and I dont know if it is the answer or not. But if a router is just a router, why are there routers on the xbox website that microsoft state do not work at all with the xbox?

Incompatible Routers:-

DLINK
  • DI754
  • DI764

LINKSYS
  • BEFSR11
  • BEFW11S4 (V2)
  • NR041

NETGEAR
  • MR314
  • RP114
  • RP334
  • RT311
  • RT314

SMC
  • 7004VBR
  • 7004WFW
Originally Posted by everton66 View Post
This is because microsoft are the worst for fallowing programming standards which in turn leads to incompatability.
Old 01-May-2010, 17:48
Dominor

Hey all, i have a problem, i have the DG834G Netgear router/modem and although i have opened the ports, put the static ip on the DMZ, i can't connect to Xbox Live. My Xbox360 doesn't get network at all. I have tried disabling the NAT, but when i did that i had no net at all.

Any ideas?

Tags
adsl, belkin, bt, bt home hub, cable, connection, delay, dg834g, dhcp, dns, files, firmware, forward, home, home hub, hub, internet, lag, make, modem, nat, netgear, network, port, router, security, settings, share, slow, wireless, xbox