Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Broadband Internet Access

Old 06-July-2007, 15:25
One_king

Default Broadband without active BT line

I have called a few companies and no luck so far
i know that Virgin (Former NTL) have cable broadband but unfortunately not in my area
mainly because there is sky cable in my building
i thought that wouldnt be a problem
but aparently to have broadband from sky you still have to have a BT line
wich costs 150 to activate
it is also a requirement to be their Sky TV subscriber

i do not want TV or the phone
and what i am asking is there any other ISP's that can provide at least phone + broadband ( i realise that having Just broadband is too much to ask ... aparently) without the big fee for activation ...

only other company i can think of is the bulldog but their unlimited broadband and madatory phone line comes up to 36 a month ( i think ) and a 99 activation

thank you in advance and sorry that i made a new thread im sure there are many on the topic but the search feature takes out "no" and "without" as too common words.
Old 07-July-2007, 11:55
Falconnet

Default Re: Broadband without active BT line

Do you have a phone provided at the moment? It wasn't clear from your post if you do. If you do, who provides your phone line?

Rupert
Old 07-July-2007, 12:28
Olozzj

Do you have a phone provided at the moment? It wasn't clear from your post if you do. If you do, who provides your phone line?
Originally Posted by Falconnet View Post
He doesn't, that's the point.

The only way you can get ADSL-based broadband is through an active BT phone line.

If you live in a cable area you could query the suppliers (if your area has cable ask your neighbours what services are available). Generally cable comes with a phone and broadband package, so tends to be more expensive.

Another possibility is if you live in a WiMax area. WiMax is a new(ish) technology which allows you to access the internet wirelessly anywhere in the range of your chosen supplier, a little like making a call from a mobile phone, except that you're transferring data instead.

If you have a WiFi (wireless network) card installed in your PC or Laptop and you can pick up any wireless networks it may be worth going round your neighbours and asking the ones who own the networks if they woud mind sharing with you for a small monthly fee?
It must be noted that connecting to any secured or unsecured wireless network without the owners permission is illegal and you could be sent down, so make sure you do get permission first if you're gonna choose this option.

Last but not least, if you're after dial-up speed internet access and you have a compatible mobile phone you could use this as a modem. This option can be complicated, and costly depending on your network provider and tariff, so it is advisable to check up first before doing this.
I am actually using my T-Mobile Nokia 5300 as a modem to post this message as we speak, as im on the train.
Old 07-July-2007, 19:45
one_king

thanks for all your help

what i have:
laptop with Wi Fi
BT line in the flat ( not active)
sky cable

What i dont have:
other cable providers
150 activation fee for a phone line

i wanted to know if i get the phone and broadband package from virgin
will i still have to pay 150 activation to BT before i can connect

and if i do will me getting phone from virgin automatically cancel the BT one?

i mean i dont want to pay 2 bills for the same phone

thanks again for your replies
Old 07-July-2007, 22:26
Olozzj

Regarding your question about Virgin, it depends weather you're in the Virgin cable area, or if you've been looking at the BT-based packages. If you are in a Virgin cable area i guarantee you will have to pay Virgin for activation, not BT. I have no idea how much this would be, you would have to contact them to get an exact price.
If you have been looking at the BT-based option then you will still have to pay BT for the line activation, and pay their standard monthly line rental, which i believe is around the 13 mark at the moment.

Having a Sky dish in your house does not make any difference whatsoever, as this dish can only be used for Sky TV and nothing else.

On your laptop you say that you have WiFi, so have you tried turning this on (if it's not already) and searching for wireless networks around you? If there are any in range of your home, you could go and ask your neighbours to find out exactly who the wireless networks belong to, and ask them if you could hook in and you would pay a small monthly fee towards their bill.

Hope this helps!
Old 18-July-2007, 11:30
pradeep

hi i need broadband as i dont have bt line with me
I have called a few companies and no luck so far
i know that Virgin (Former NTL) have cable broadband but unfortunately not in my area
mainly because there is sky cable in my building
i thought that wouldnt be a problem
but aparently to have broadband from sky you still have to have a BT line
wich costs 150 to activate
it is also a requirement to be their Sky TV subscriber

i do not want TV or the phone
and what i am asking is there any other ISP's that can provide at least phone + broadband ( i realise that having Just broadband is too much to ask ... aparently) without the big fee for activation ...

only other company i can think of is the bulldog but their unlimited broadband and madatory phone line comes up to 36 a month ( i think ) and a 99 activation

thank you in advance and sorry that i made a new thread im sure there are many on the topic but the search feature takes out "no" and "without" as too common words.
Originally Posted by One_king View Post
Old 18-July-2007, 12:40
Olozzj

pradeep, if you read or payed any attention to the previous posts made there are plenty of options to consider for people in your situation. I for one am not going to repeat what i have previously said, so i suggest you open your eyes and read!
Old 17-November-2009, 01:54
ahmedshmpz

hi
You dont need anymore to deal with the ripoffs BT line.

Now virgin media does all the dirty work that you have been through, running after bt and then virgin.

Now virgin media supports you in the sense of them calling BT and ask them to connect the line for you, and the activation fee would cost you 78 pounds ( you only pay virgin, and not in advance but by the end of the month).

Then simple as that you get to pay 21 pounds per month for virgin for 15mbps xxl package, unless ur looking for the unlimited download packages it would be cheaper, so back to the subject: 21 pounds for virgin, plus BT line rental 11.50 pounds so over all total 31.50.

But you wouldn't have to pay BT that amount but directly to virgin every month.

thats all i can say, i live in bradford, there is in kirgate mall virgin shop for advertisement and so on, you can set up with them again. they suck on their website as everything isn't clear. you can also call them but i recommend you call them from a house phone, cos they will make u stay on the line for decades and wts funny n stupid they are like choose one of the 5 options: 1-classic 2-rock 3- hip hop 4- and so on lol. anyways goodluck mate.

have a nice day .

Tags
adsl, broadband, bt, cable, company, feature, home, internet, isp, laptop, line, make, mobile, modem, network, nokia, phone, sharing, shop, sky, speed, virgin, wireless