Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Tiscali

Old 11-November-2007, 21:14
JDC

Default need a wireless router for the xbox 360 which works with tiscali

Hi

I'm getting xbox live for my birthday and i need a wireless router and It needs to work with tiscali broadband. I've heard that netgear is a good make, but does anyone know any particular wireless router that will be compatible with tiscali?

Thanks
Old 12-November-2007, 07:03
我們被注定

Default Re: need a wireless router for the xbox 360 which works with tiscali

All wireless routers will be compatible with tiscali. Whatever you get will work fine.
Now then.........I wouldn't reccomend running your xbox live over a wireless network. If you want a good online gaming experience with the xbox (an it's good might I add ) I would suggest using an ethernet connection on the xbox. Most routers come with ethernet sockets so this shouldn't be a problem. If your going to be playing online games a lot, you may have to upgrade your BB monthly allowance, or Tiscali may slap your wrists.

"Thinking about what you might not be able to control, only wastes time and energy, till it eventually becomes your enemy."
Old 12-November-2007, 16:47
JDC

thanks, The only problem i have is that the computer is downstairs and my bedroom is up in the attic where I use my xbox 360 and T.V and my mum and dad won't have all the wires in the house so I'll have to get wireless.

Thanks for the info
Old 12-November-2007, 17:30
JDC

would this router work?

www.stuff-uk.net/?s=ST-DG834GTUK
Old 12-November-2007, 19:49
我們被注定

thanks, The only problem i have is that the computer is downstairs and my bedroom is up in the attic where I use my xbox 360 and T.V and my mum and dad won't have all the wires in the house so I'll have to get wireless.

Thanks for the info
Originally Posted by JDC View Post
It seem's you'll have to go for a gaming router then. Even so I would still reccomend some way of going ethernet. Am not sure how much gaming routers are and how much your willing to pay.

Here's a list of Microsoft reccomended routers for the xbox

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/co.../equipment.htm

Also a link reviewing some routers for your Xbox 360 here......

http://www.xboxlivetheguide.co.uk/XB...uter%20Reviews

"Thinking about what you might not be able to control, only wastes time and energy, till it eventually becomes your enemy."
Old 12-November-2007, 23:11
JDC

Thanks very much for your help

I have been trying to find out info on this and your the only person who has actually helped me.

one thing, on the first link you replied it tells me which routers are compatible with xbox but i have found this router:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...&category_oid=

On the link you sent me about compatible routers it says that these two are compatible,

WGT624 (V2)
WGT624 (V3)

But on the one i found it doesn't say which Version it is, because if it's V1 It might not work, Do you know if it works or not?
Old 12-November-2007, 23:56
我們被注定

I think but I could be wrong V=version. So I would expect the one your looking at to be version 2 or 3. V1 is probably no longer sold anymore. Maybe you should email pcworld and ask them this. Don't take my word for it not being V1. Shame it doesn't say as it would put your mind at rest.

Old 13-November-2007, 00:12
JDC

ok, just found a pic on google of version 2 and it's the one were on about so I might have a go at it and if it wont work Then i'll keep searching thanks for all your help
Old 13-November-2007, 05:55
我們被注定

No problem! Have fun when playing online. For £40 a year, it's worth it. I've never experienced any lag at all playing online on the Xbox 360. And it's fun fun fun.

Old 13-November-2007, 14:42
Austin_KW

Ok be careful here.
One of the routers you have mentioned is a router and one is an adsl router? What is currently connected to the line as you may have problems if it is a usb type modem.
Old 13-November-2007, 17:14
JDC

so what is better, adsl or not adsl?
Old 13-November-2007, 17:32
我們被注定

Do you connect to the iternet on your pc down stairs with a USB modem? If so you have two choices of what you want to buy. A router only that you plug your usb modem into, or an adsl router, which has no need to have any modem and is connected directly to you phone socket. Which in my oppinion would be much better as you are wanting to play games online. You will get faster speeds with the latter.

Old 13-November-2007, 17:33
Austin_KW

If you use an Ethernet modem you will have to configure 2 devices, the modem and the router separately.
If you use and adsl router you just configure one device.

If you currently use a USB modem then you need to get an ADSL wireless router or you would have nothing to connect to an ethernet router.

If you do buy an ADSL router make sure it is the latest standard ADSL 2+ (all the newer ones should be)

I think the simplest solution (all in one) is best but I am not a gamer so I cannot give you a recommendation. It is usually better to buy all you wireless kit from the same manufacturer (especially if it is draft-N, pre-N or mimo kit)
Old 13-November-2007, 17:51
Austin_KW

... A router only that you plug your usb modem into...
Originally Posted by The Beef View Post
I think you misspoke, you mean ethernet modem?

But I agree that the adsl wireless router is the way to go..
Old 13-November-2007, 18:05
我們被注定

No I meant a router that the usb modme can be plugged into. Therefore negating the need for an adsl modem. If that's the same then ok

Old 13-November-2007, 18:11
Austin_KW

No I meant a router that the usb modme can be plugged into. Therefore negating the need for an adsl modem. If that's the same then ok
I didn't know the was any routers that would connect to a usb modem
Old 15-November-2007, 22:00
JDC

Ok, so really i'm better off going along with an ADSL router?
Old 16-November-2007, 00:02

I didn't know the was any routers that would connect to a usb modem
Originally Posted by Austin_KW View Post
I'd be suprised if there were, usb modems (adsl or dialup) need to use the computer to do a lot of the work

in any case,. yes get an ADSL-modem-router,. they aren't expensive - like around 30 quid I think
Old 16-November-2007, 04:35
我們被注定

So what was I thinking of? It seems I may have conjured this up, out of my little old head! Sorry if I mislead you.
I would still go for an adsl modem that is recommended for gaming on the Xbox. Unless someone here knows of a router that can handle gaming, which isn't recommended by Microsoft??

Old 16-November-2007, 10:10

So what was I thinking of? It seems I may have conjured this up, out of my little old head! Sorry if I mislead you.
I would still go for an adsl modem that is recommended for gaming on the Xbox. Unless someone here knows of a router that can handle gaming, which isn't recommended by Microsoft??
something like ipcop or smoothwall can handle a usb modem but these days the cheapest and easist option is something which does everything
Old 16-November-2007, 17:24
JDC

found a great one, it is compatible with 360 but it says its a DSL router? is that just the same as ADSL? I'm not very good with all these digits and stuff
Old 17-May-2008, 12:30
DDDDDman

If you get your mum or dad to look on the tiscali my account upgrade page, you'll see they give a free wireless router/modem just for renewing your contract for another 12months.

sounds good to me
Old 17-May-2008, 13:30
Screamager

Tiscali and a wireless connection to play online games? that will be fun, lol
Old 12-October-2009, 15:15
jackinabox125

Can anyone helpme! rouer is always red not green and cant get on live wht shall il do
Old 07-November-2009, 01:38
kev09

Thanks very much for your help

I have been trying to find out info on this and your the only person who has actually helped me.

one thing, on the first link you replied it tells me which routers are compatible with xbox but i have found this router:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...&category_oid=

On the link you sent me about compatible routers it says that these two are compatible,

WGT624 (V2)
WGT624 (V3)

But on the one i found it doesn't say which Version it is, because if it's V1 It might not work, Do you know if it works or not?
Originally Posted by JDC View Post

phone up tiscali and ask them for wireless router they send me them when i renew me contract they send they own version
Old 01-October-2010, 16:16
savage22

Hi am looking for a wirless detector for xbox 360 elite it would be good if it could connect to a broadband home hub i am not sure what speed the hub is but it would be good if the price is under £100 cos that is the maximun to spend

thanks savage

Last edited by silver; 01-October-2010 at 17:28. Reason: remove email address

Tags
419, adsl, birthday, broadband, computer, connection, dg834g, email, free, google, home, lag, line, make, modem, netgear, network, online, phone, product, reviews, router, speed, speeds, tiscali, tiscali broadband, wireless, xbox