Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Hardware > ADSL Router Mods
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-September-2010, 15:51
Chaoslava

DefaultEnabling Traffic Shaping / QoS with Home Hub 2.0

Hello, first off, great forums here.

This is the post I made in the official BT Forums, but I doubt they will give me any advice on non-standard BT procedures.

Hello, well I live in a student house with 4 other people, and because we don't pay for a TV license (or receive a TV live broadcast) (I'm not even interested in TV) The other 4 housemates watch a lot of videos on iplayer, 4oD and Youtube.

This means that if I want to play games online, it is incredibly difficult, as with four people all downloading heavily / streaming heavily it makes playing with my friend from my home town very, very difficult.

I was wondering if there was any way, or will there be any way to prioritise the bandwidth to a wired connection. I am the only one with a wired connection to the BT Home Hub (the black curved one) and all I want to do is make it so that my online games are unaffected.

The only other solution would be to turn off the Wireless connection, or use access control to totally shut off the internet for seperate devices, but to totally turn off the broadband is a little harsh and I would rather have it so they take a little longer to stream a video, and I can still play games fine (which require little bandwidth anyway)

Alternativelt, if anybody knows of a different way to make my online gaming lag-free (when they all download I get around a 600 ping, which is 100% totally game-breakingly unbearable) please let me know.

OR, if there is a different router I can use by Netgear or someone, that actually does support what I want to do, then let me know.

Thank you,

- Chris

But now I've seen all these tutorials on here to unlock Home Hubs, and I was wondering if there was any way to do this, or if someone can give me a nudge in the right direction.

Thank you very much guys, and keep up the good work!
Old 08-September-2010, 21:32

DefaultRe: Enabling Traffic Shaping / QoS with Home Hub 2.0

Not sure if you can do it on the Home Hub as i havnt got mine pluged in.

But on the Business hub you can slow the wifi speed down this may help, its under the settings for wifi channel etc.
Old 08-September-2010, 23:32
Chaoslava

DefaultRe: Enabling Traffic Shaping / QoS with Home Hub 2.0

Oh right, well that's kinda what I wanted, except I use a laptop and don't want the traffic to be permanently slow for mine.

I guess it's just a case of unlocking the home hub and seeing if any unofficial firmware has this traffic shaping I'm after.

Does anybody know if there is a router from someone like Netgear etc that will work with this?

Also, I did want this operation to be done in secret. So something like a simple Firmware update would be marvelous.

Tags
broadband, bt, bt home hub, connection, firmware, free, home, home hub, hub, internet, lag, laptop, line, lock, netgear, online, qos, router, settings, slow, speed, unlock, wireless

Show Printable VersionShow Printable Version
Email this PageEmail this Page
Linear ModeLinear Mode
Hybrid ModeSwitch to Hybrid Mode
Threaded ModeSwitch to Threaded Mode