Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Hardware > ADSL Router Mods
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21-May-2007, 11:07
NewDayNewID

DefaultRe: Unlocked Firmware For Bt Business Hub 2700hgv **Upgrade at your own risk**

Not a bit of it. You only have to check out the threads on this forum to see the problems people are having. I'm not saying don't upgrade. I'm saying do the research first.

I wasn't having a pop at Unlokia as you put it. I was saying he shouldn't have a pop at the 2700 and 2091, as he has done. The reason his kit died was down to his hacking. It was not down to the kit.

Does that make more sense?

Bottom line, if you hack something and you screw it up, fair enough, put your hands up and say "Hey people, don't do this, I tried and it fried. " Or something like that. Don't blame the manufacturer or the kit you tried to hack though.
Old 21-May-2007, 12:13
ydrol

DefaultRe: Unlocked Firmware For Bt Business Hub 2700hgv **Upgrade at your own risk**

Not a bit of it. You only have to check out the threads on this forum to see the problems people are having. I'm not saying don't upgrade. I'm saying do the research first..
Originally Posted by NewDayNewID View Post
OK but I really don't see any real problems with flashing (besides the newer boxes dying) that do not really look like user error or users asking where their VOIP ports have gone. I've read the thread through once before and revisited bits here and there. And my experience with flashing quite a few of the older boxes is that there are no 'issues'. Care to elaborate? I'm genuinely interested..
Old 21-May-2007, 12:23
ydrol

On another note, If these boxes are not unlocked can someone confirm whether they are locked to BT ISP, or a particular BT Service (eg Business vs Home), OR a specific BT End User Account. No guesswork please, real experiences appreciated. I've seen a few posts here and there, on other forums. that seem to suggest they are locked to specific accounts? but there seems to be a healthy 2nd hand market for them (locked), which /might/ suggest otherwise???
Old 21-May-2007, 13:21
Screamager

You hack and you learn? Evidence would suggest that you don't learn. You broke your 2091 by hacking it. You broke your 2700 by hacking it. Presumably you are going to break your 1800 by hacking it too!

The lesson here is, don't hack it unless you know what you are doing!

The other lesson should be to accept where you have gone wrong, and not pass the blame on to BT.

When you killed your 2091s, you blamed the router itself, and BT.
When you killed your 2700, you blamed the router itself, and BT.

There is nothing wrong with either of these routers!

Soon, no doubt, you will be blaming the 1800, and BT. Frankly, I am amazed that BT are, as you claim, sourcing you with an 1800HG. I am even more amazed, because BT stopped selling them a couple of years ago, but I will let that one go.

Now, you may accuse me of trolling, thats fine. But I am just making a point. Firmware upgrades should NOT be undertaken lightly. They should only be done as a last resort. The old adage "If it aint broke, don't fix it" is especially true with regards to firmware.

There is plenty of hacking to be done on any router without resorting to firmware upgrades.

To anybody reading this or the other firmware threads thinking of updating their firmware, don't do it unless you have to, and research the process before undertaking it. If it goes wrong you can have a fried router on your hands. This site itself has plenty of info on unlocking the 210, 2091 and 2500V, and they work. However, the 2700 upgrade is giving no end of grief, and you would be better off using DNS poisoning instead.
Originally Posted by NewDayNewID View Post
What can I say to a guy who knows it all?...
Old 21-May-2007, 14:22
Screamager

Flashed quite a few myself and no complaints here
Old 21-May-2007, 14:26
Mongoose

On another note, If these boxes are not unlocked can someone confirm whether they are locked to BT ISP, or a particular BT Service (eg Business vs Home), OR a specific BT End User Account. No guesswork please, real experiences appreciated. I've seen a few posts here and there, on other forums. that seem to suggest they are locked to specific accounts? but there seems to be a healthy 2nd hand market for them (locked), which /might/ suggest otherwise???
Originally Posted by ydrol View Post
They are locked to specific accounts but can be unlocked (even the new ones with 2 SSID's). I am happy to give details how to unlock the new ones here but once it's made public, BT will probably block that in a new firmware update. You guys decide, do you want me to go public with how I unlocked one (it's very simple to do)?
Old 21-May-2007, 14:37
Screamager

@Mongoose I'll ask you the same question I've been asking Unlokia but he's been a bit busy lol

Once you have unlocked the 2700 with the SBC firmware do you have to actually choose to do the online firmware update or is it done automatically?

Could you also PM me the instructions for your new DNS poisoning routine?
Old 21-May-2007, 14:46
Mongoose

@Mongoose I'll ask you the same question I've been asking Unlokia but he's been a bit busy lol

Once you have unlocked the 2700 with the SBC firmware do you have to actually choose to do the online firmware update or is it done automatically?

Could you also PM me the instructions for your new DNS poisoning routine?
Originally Posted by patioheater View Post
Don't know about the SBC firmware, I've never done it. I've only used the DNS poisonong method.
I'll PM you the method for the new boxes.
Old 21-May-2007, 16:39
ydrol

They are locked to specific accounts but can be unlocked (even the new ones with 2 SSID's). I am happy to give details how to unlock the new ones here
Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
Thanks for the response. I'm specifically trying to find out what a non-technical user WITH a BT Account has to do, to be able to use these boxes.. Would it be the same as a user that is with a different ISP?

but once it's made public, BT will probably block that in a new firmware update. You guys decide, do you want me to go public with how I unlocked one (it's very simple to do)?
I'm not too fussed. I guess you'll get tired of PMing eventually Once they've got enough out there, they probably would not introduce a firmware update for the sole purpose of preventing unlocking, would they. Too much risk to existing boxes for little gain. IMO. So maybe wait a bit more for more boxes to get out in the wild.
I reckon it's something they would have to test with new boxes only...
In the meantime, whilst you're deciding, could you PM me the secret sauce (pretty please)
Old 21-May-2007, 16:55
Mongoose

Thanks for the response. I'm specifically trying to find out what a non-technical user WITH a BT Account has to do, to be able to use these boxes.. Would it be the same as a user that is with a different ISP?
Yes you would do exactly the same with a different BT account as you would if you were using it with a different ISP

I'm not too fussed. I guess you'll get tired of PMing eventually Once they've got enough out there, they probably would not introduce a firmware update for the sole purpose of preventing unlocking, would they. Too much risk to existing boxes for little gain. IMO. So maybe wait a bit more for more boxes to get out in the wild.
I reckon it's something they would have to test with new boxes only...
In the meantime, whilst you're deciding, could you PM me the secret sauce (pretty please)
No problem I'll PM it today.
Old 21-May-2007, 17:23
darklight

Hi, I have read through this thread with interest.

I have just been given a 2700hgv by a collogue, I was hoping it would help raise my ADSL profile to the next tier as I am 100kbps below the threshold!

Unfortunatly it is a newer unit with 2 SSIDS so it keeps disconnecting

I read with interest that there may be light at the end of the tunnel with a new method of DNS poisoning.

I was hoping someone can PM me the procedure.

Will report back on my findings.

Cheers,

Darklight.
Old 21-May-2007, 19:15
ydrol

nce you have unlocked the 2700 with the SBC firmware do you have to actually choose to do the online firmware update or is it done automatically?
Originally Posted by patioheater View Post
Looks like the online upgrade is only visible with the 5.29.x BT firmware.

It appears on the right side of the home page above the SetUp Wizard Button.

Firewall | Parental Controls | Upgrade the System | Set Up

It then links through to http://gateway.cms.smehomehubrms.bt....howUpgrades.do
Old 23-May-2007, 10:52
animaniac2k7

Mongoose could you please PM me the new DNS method too? I tried the old one but it keeps disconecting me. I have a newer version of the Router I believe as I just got it yesterday.

Regards,

Andreas
Old 23-May-2007, 20:22
Echoeone

Hi - likewise here. Mine has two SSID's. Can I be PM'd the new DNS Poisoning method please.

Thx in advance
Old 23-May-2007, 21:32
monkeyarms

Me to, can i have the unlocking method please,

many many thanks
Old 23-May-2007, 21:42
monkeyarms

Mongoose, can you PM me the unlock method too, please?

many many thanks
Old 23-May-2007, 21:53
Screamager

### HOW TO DNS POISON A TWO SSID (FUSION) BT2700HGV BT BUSINESS HUB (2WIRE) ###

To unlock a 2 SSID hub, first do the DNS poisoning routine as described earlier in the thread, then run the "System Setup Wizard" on the hub "home" page and enter your username and password there and the hub will accept it with no problems.

Last edited by unlokia; 24-May-2007 at 14:50.
Old 24-May-2007, 20:50
loki

Im struggling...im a complete noob. I have the product, i connect it ( power cable and USB to PC only ) as for me to be online (AOL) i need to keep my ADSL line in my current Voyager 105 ADSL USB modem. so when i go to /tech/upgrade.html i get page cannot be displayed which previously in forum was said to be due to it not beng connected. Obviously in my situation i cant connect it in any other way and still be online other than an ethernet cable into one of the network ports on it ( is this what im supposed to do ? ) please help...

Last edited by loki; 24-May-2007 at 21:12.
Old 24-May-2007, 21:46
ydrol

Obviously in my situation i cant connect it in any other way and still be online other than an ethernet cable into one of the network ports on it ( is this what im supposed to do ? ) please help...
Originally Posted by loki View Post
We should really be starting new topics for these queries This thread is bad enough as it is. Should be locked down soon. but ..

Yes. If you are replacing your Voyager 105 with this , use the ethernet cable.
Once you have it working, I suggest you uninstall all of those USB drivers (for both Voyager 105 and the BT 2700). USB was always rubbish for networking.
Keep the Voyager driver CD around to be on the safe side, but I'd wager you'll never need it again.

Ethernet is usually easier to set up than USB anyway.
Old 24-May-2007, 22:01
loki

once ive downloaded the recovery_425.2sp file and linked the "update system" to it and its complete - do i then just configure it to AOL as a normal router ?

Last edited by loki; 24-May-2007 at 22:18.
Old 25-May-2007, 00:36
ydrol

once ive downloaded the recovery_425.2sp file and linked the "update system" to it and its complete - do i then just configure it to AOL as a normal router ?
Originally Posted by loki View Post
Yes, but I assume you have checked to make sure it DOES NOT have two SSIDS printed underneath... otherwise see here https://the-scream.co.uk/forums/t22658.html?
Old 25-May-2007, 23:31

I use a "locked" 2700HGV on a BT Home account with no problem. Only observation I can make is that the BT 2700HGV does'nt have POTS pass-thru'.
Old 26-May-2007, 21:45
Mongoose

### HOW TO DNS POISON A TWO SSID (FUSION) BT2700HGV BT BUSINESS HUB (2WIRE) ###

To unlock a 2 SSID hub, first do the DNS poisoning routine as described earlier in the thread, then run the "System Setup Wizard" on the hub "home" page and enter your username and password there and the hub will accept it with no problems.
Originally Posted by unlokia View Post
Ok... I wasn't going to go public with that yet but since you've copied and pasted my PM to you, into your post, an acknowledgement might have been nice. I suppose it'll save me having to PM people with it now
Old 27-May-2007, 00:58
ydrol

Ok... I wasn't going to go public with that yet but since you've copied and pasted my PM to you, into your post, an acknowledgement might have been nice. I suppose it'll save me having to PM people with it now
Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
Common courtesy becoming a thing of the past eh.. You would think that would be basic manners. How times have changed..

Funnily enough the original sbc_firmware flash trick has been knocking around since this time last year whereas this thread was started in September, it strikes me that some people are talented at omitting attributions, for whatever reason.
Old 27-May-2007, 22:30
Mongoose

Common courtesy becoming a thing of the past eh.. You would think that would be basic manners. How times have changed..

Funnily enough the original sbc_firmware flash trick has been knocking around since this time last year whereas this thread was started in September, it strikes me that some people are talented at omitting attributions, for whatever reason.
Totally agree with you
Old 29-May-2007, 14:24
perpetualmotionuk

Mongoose,
I have a way of changing the WLAN power output that doesn't require firmware hacking. PM me for more.
Old 29-May-2007, 15:30
Dipso

Hi everyone, first post on here

I've bagged one of these routers from ebay...sorry not one of yours ydrol as none available at the time. It's described as unlocked but I suspect it's not re-flashed.

I've read though this long thread and realise I need to check which version I have before I attempt any further configuration but can I ask a question, if it is just unlocked but isn't re-flashed what am I missing out on?

It's described as having "adjustable range", the wireless range being the main reason I'm wanted to try it, is that likely if it's not re-flashed and if that's the case what would re-flashing gain me?

Sorry if this has been asked/answered many times before but I don't want to get it wrong and brick it.

TIA!

Dipso

Last edited by Dipso; 30-May-2007 at 00:26.
Old 29-May-2007, 18:33
ydrol

Mongoose,
I have a way of changing the WLAN power output that doesn't require firmware hacking. PM me for more.
Originally Posted by perpetualmotionuk View Post
Does it involve pwrid
Old 29-May-2007, 22:48
Mongoose

Mongoose,
Originally Posted by perpetualmotionuk View Post
Thanks for the offer but I'm quite happy with the power output of the WLAN. I get good coverage throughout most of my house.
Old 30-May-2007, 15:11
Orgazz

Hi,

Just wanted to say well done to everyone for this thread. Flashed mine fine and have no issues with it at all, and am continuing to experiment with it, due to the invaluable info posted here! As an orange user was sure variable download speeds was down to orange, but this baby has been totally steady, indicating that the wondeful livebox is actually a notveywellbox ;o) I am an apprentice geek and sympathise with the difficulties others may have experienced, but without the help of contributors like yourselves we would never push the boundaries and would accept that the hardware we purchase in good faith doesn't generally do what is says on the tin! Keep up the good work fella's (and lasses) as without asking questions, we never get answers!

PS Still tryint to see if I can get VOIP working, but stuggling as I have hairy palms, so any further info, tricks or secrets would be greatly appreciated.

Peace x

Tags
2wire, broadband, bt, bt business hub, connection, dhcp, dns, email, firmware, flash, hgv, home, hub, internet, key, lights, lock, orange, phone, registration, router, screen, settings, share, software, sound, speed, speedtester, tiscali, voip, web, wireless

Show Printable VersionShow Printable Version
Email this PageEmail this Page
Linear ModeLinear Mode
Hybrid ModeSwitch to Hybrid Mode
Threaded ModeSwitch to Threaded Mode