Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Hardware > ADSL Router Mods
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-September-2006, 00:57
Screamager

DefaultUnlocked Firmware For Bt Business Hub 2700hgv **Upgrade at your own risk**

• **Warning** Flashing newer versions of the BT Business Hub (2wire 2700HGV) with the sbc recovery_425 firmware mentioned in this thread, will cause the router to stop working. No procedure to restore operation is known at this time.

These newer Hubs can be easily identified as they have two SSIDs printed underneath the router, both beginning with 'BT'.

Carrying out any of the upgrades to the hub mentioned in the following pages, is done at your own risk.

The Scream! and contributors, hold no responsibility if something goes wrong.

Hi dudes and dudettes!!. I have searched this forum and not found a single trace of what I have posted here - this router is *such* a bonus for anyone needing a decent wifi signal, that no broadband hardware forum would be complete without it!.

Firstly an introduction: BT give this lovely lil router away with new BT BUSINESS BROADBAND connections/migrations, but it is supplied (and sometimes AT A COST!), crippled in two ways.

Firstly, the router has the inbuilt capability to transmit a wifi signal at up to SEVEN times that of a normal wifi router. But being the UK, the firmware flashed into it for BT, disables this marvellous feature, and you are stuck with a bog standard wifi signal level .

Secondly, BT has made it near impossible for anyone to use this beautiful piece of hardware, on any ADSL service apart from their own. Indeed, it has been rumoured that it becomes locked to ONE broadband account only, never mind moving ISP!!!.

Anyways - I found this lovely ripped firmware (from SBC some american ISP - AT&T?!?!) and what this does, is allow you to unlock the router AND it allows you to raise the wifi output power to 400mW!!!. I have tested this and have got a decent connection, through woods and trees, at the end of my road - save to say that this is fast becoming a far more attractive router as I speak!.

Here are the config pages which you are going to need, in order to access the page for firmware updating, AND also the page for setting the wifi output power level. I thank you!.

All about the router ---> http://www.2wire.com/?p=8

Once you have the router, goto this page to flash it ---> /tech/upgrade.html

And, for all the g33ks amongst us, here is the detailed config page ---> and YEAH the manufacturer *HAS* spelt "management" incorrectly, but trust me that is the correct URL!!

Finally but MOST imporantly, here is the NEW unlocked firmware, which you upload in order to flash the router with it's new super-powers . This is a ZIPPED file, so for goodness sake UNZIP it so that you are left with a folder containing a file named "recovery_425.2sp". This is the file you wanna flash the 2700HGV with!

Please, if you can, upload/host/mirror this file as it is not readily available online. http://www.sendspace.com/file/j8deet

Another good deed, successfully done! yay!!

Last edited by JohnnyReb51; 14-May-2007 at 14:54. Reason: Added revised warning message.
Old 10-September-2006, 02:21
Former TS! Team

DefaultRe: ### Unlocked Firmware For Bt Business Hub (2wire) 2700hgv ###

Just a word of warning.

Adjusting your signal strength above the uk limit may have adverse effects and will make your unit illegal for use in the UK.
Old 10-September-2006, 02:25
Screamager

copying DVD's is illegal... so what!

Standing next to a microwave is riskier dude!!
Old 12-September-2006, 22:13
kdopson

All your nice work has been trashed... none of the links you provided are usable.
Old 13-September-2006, 09:26
Screamager

@kdopson........... ermm YES they ARE usable, you probably get 404/page cannot be displayed etc because you *DON'T HAVE THE ROUTER* or don't know how to connect to it!.

The sendspace link is up and running, and, *as I explained in the thread starter* the OTHER links are only valid if you *OWN* the router AND it is CONNECTED!.

Look before you leap, think before you SPEAK!

Yeah, so NOTHING at all has been trashed ok... just need *the router* itself.

Sometimes I really wonder about people!!
Old 14-September-2006, 14:25
Zouganelis

UnhappyRe: ### Unlocked Firmware For Bt Business Hub (2wire) 2700hgv ###

Hi,
I have been looking for a new firmware to flash my BT1800HG and came across this thread. My router was running 3.7.3 but it had problems (apparently known) with CRC and FEC errors, despite the fact that my line stats (S/N and attenuation) are excellent, therefore it triggers the asdlMax equipment of BT to downgrade the sync speed, but this didn't change a thing apart from lowering my DL speed. I found this page (http://www.dslreports.com/faq/twowire/all#12110) where is basically says that all HG router are able to run on firmware 4.21.x or newer so i thought 4.25 you've posted was appropriate.
I've followed the instructions, it flashed (three lights flashing orange in a sequence etc) and then it rebooted with Power light steady Green, dsl light solid Orange (needs username and password I suppose but can find dsl signal) and LAN light solid Green. When I now try to access homeportal, it just gives a blank page. If I try to access management (or managment) or homeportal/tech/upgrade.html I get a Page Not Found message.
Apart from that, the router looks like it works fine: DHCP works, replies to pings, I can get computers connect to it via LAN, USB or WIFI etc. It's just the homeportal pages I cannot access.

I suspect this is a J-TAG case but I live in the UK and I am not sure 2wire will support me. I phoned up BT today (they are the UK distributors) and they said that they can't help me as the router is more than a year old and it's not covered by warranty.

ANy ideas you guys? I feel really frustrated as I have bricked an excellent router. I now have to use my crappy D-Link until I get this one sorted.

Cheers,
Angelos
Old 14-September-2006, 17:21
Screamager

I have no idea as to how to resolve this I am afraid - as I am only JUST au fait with the 2700HGV!!

If you email me at: <> gnu At btinternet d0t c0m<> I have an item which may be of great interest to you!.

If I were you I would have called BT on 0845 600 7020 (business broadband help) and instruct them to replace your router, with the 2700HGV. They have no choice but to do so because it is THEY whom provided you the router, and all you have to do is say "It is dead and unfunctional - no lights on" and tell them you have tried another PSU etc etc.

If you are paying for business broadband, you expect the level of service to remain high, throughout!.

Regardless of anything, just DON'T tell them you flashed it okay .

The 2700HGV is a great router and a little bird tells me that there *may* be a brand new one somewhere without a home... but it's just a thought
Old 14-September-2006, 20:57
alexfido

hi, i have just got a bt home hub and i am trying to use it with talktalk.
(1) can i do this or is it locked
i have never tried to connect a modem router before as i found when i tried to connect a linksys router only to discover it had no modem, in it.
please help.alex
Old 14-September-2006, 21:05
Screamager

This is prob the wrong thread old bean. sorry. The "HOME" Hub is very different to the BUSINESS hub (The Home hub I would steer well clear of, but that is only my experience and not carved in stone! )

I cannot say much more apart from I had THREE Home Hubs sent to me, ( A ) they are ALL locked to BT and ( B ) They are VERY unreliable: for example, when the hub decides it wants to update its firmware, you ARE NOT told about this, it simply does it, and disconnects you for a number of minutes, in the process!. The VOIP function is muffled and noisy in my opinion - I have given all three away and since, upgraded to BT BUSINESS BROADBAND which supply the *FAR* superior "2WIRE" 2700HGV hub - do not confuse the two - the HOME hub is manufactured FOR bt, by Thompson, and is rubbish inside, but glossy and pretty OUTside!.

Steer clear is my summary - but I wish you all the best, alas I cannot help further!.

Regards, Matt.
Old 15-September-2006, 08:48
alexfido

hi unlokia ,i bow to thy greater wisdom with my right hand i type this with my left i am chucking the contraption in the bin.happy days
Old 15-September-2006, 14:53
batmonger

Just the job. Excellent and many thanks. Any ideas on how I can disable the Firewall. Having problems geting a VPN tunnel established using this router.

Cheers, Martin
Old 15-September-2006, 23:58
Screamager

You are welcome!. It is indeed great to be able to surf the net halfway down ones street, with the 400mW wifi signal!!
Old 16-September-2006, 18:59
Life in the Farce Lane

yeah we should all run at least half a watt to ensure we wipe out our neighbours networks!
Obviously this only affects transmit whereas improving the aerial will affect reception too but that would not be in the "mines bigger" mind set.
I'm all for getting the most out of hardware (and making hardware prematurely obsolete should be outlawed) but don't assume that putting more RF into your life is really a good idea.

I went for a walk round with a decent directional aerial and found my own access point (which is known to be bad at distance) sniffable from OVER A KILOMETER away (line of sight)
Old 16-September-2006, 23:53
Screamager

Yeah to be honest I have turned mine down to power level #1 - I can't see the point causing issues with others unless I NEED the power!. I have a friend who lives in an old train station with VERY thick walls (MASSIVE house!) and so I gave him one of these routers unlocked - set at level 5 he needs that extra boost!.

regards.
Old 18-September-2006, 12:21
Sinon

Just one for unlokia,

Flashed my hub but now wants to register it with an American provider. I can't get to any other web page so I'm a little stuck! Is there any way to cancel this registration?
Old 21-September-2006, 08:40
Turv

Hi, reading this with interest as I have just moved from the dreaded Homehub to Business with BT, and got the 2700HGV.

Before I change the firmware, I was wondering if I would still keep the BT interface, settings and Content Screening? The wireless coverage in my house is worse with the 2700hgv than with eitheer my old Buffalo router or the HomeHub - barely usable in my garden - so I would love to boost the signal!

Any ideas receieved gratefully.
Old 21-September-2006, 08:47
Turv

If I use this flash, do I then manually set up the connection again?
Does the BT interface remain, with Content Screening etc?

Is there a copy of the BT supplied firmware (i am on .33 firmware) anywhere in case I want to restore it?
Old 21-September-2006, 14:51
Nick45

I would just like to say thank you for posting this information. Worked perfectly and I was able to enable my BT Hub for use with another ISP. Saved me hours of frustration and some pennies.
Old 25-September-2006, 19:37
itnovice

Hi Unlokia,

Please excuse my ignorance, however I have tried the link you provided and following the instructions it asks the following question:

To complete your upgrade, locate your system software (.bin, .lmi, or .2sp) file by clicking ?Browse...? and then click UPGRADE NOW.

Where do I find the file it is looking for?

Old 25-September-2006, 22:59
Screamager

Where do I find the file it is looking for?
Okay dude. You unzip/unRAR the firmware. Now you have a folder containing the firmware file, and it ends with .2sp okay. *THAT* is the file you should browse to, and then upgrade your 2700HGV.

Wish you the best mate.
Old 25-September-2006, 23:34
Zer02004

OT but hey Unlokia, I'm currently running an unlocked 2500v if you're interested.
Old 26-September-2006, 00:12
Screamager

Zero - why would I be interested?!?!
Old 26-September-2006, 10:38
hay

Can anyone tell me if the Bt Business Hub 2700hgv can be reconfigured to work on BT home broadband and if yes, then how?
Old 26-September-2006, 11:14
adam_l

I want so set up the 2700HGV to work with a VOIP proivder other than BT.

There doesnt seem to be any way of setting the VOIP server in the BT supplied formware (currently 4.25.33).

If I flash this with recovery_425 will it:

1. Allolw me to setup the VOIP server?
2. Retain the content management stuff? (important 'cos we have "young" teenagers)

Thanks - Adam
Old 30-September-2006, 13:35
Deek_101

Hi i just purcahsed bt 2700hgv 2wire buisness hub router becuase my bt 1250 wouldnt bring the router page up.

everytime i try to set up the router it will either not find a connection or say wrong username im currently not with bt. Im with eclipse broadband would this effect it?

The Internet light will always stay red and cannot find a connection with internet.However when i plug my old router in it works fine on wireless and ethernet.

And another thing theres a button on the bottom of the router any idea what it is?

Thank You
Old 30-September-2006, 15:07
Screamager

Adam_l - the reason you cannot configure the BT voip server in your original BT firmware, is that you aren't *meant* to be able to - the 2700HGV was supplied locked down to BT, and we "mere mortals" are supposedly too dumb to hack about with routers...

The firmware posted, has proven to unlock:

(A) The power output feature
(B) The ISP lock

My Voip disabled itself when flashing the unlocked firmware, but as I don't even USE my voip, I have not investigated this further.

As for parental management features - I am unaware of how this function is implemented, and as such I cannot offer any advice regarding this, sorry!.

Have a good day.
Old 30-September-2006, 23:09
goonhilly

DefaultFirewall in BT business broadband

I would like to know how to disable the firewall in BT for the hgv2700 modem
I activated it and cant seem to deactivate it ?

I having problems installing a wireless connection for a new PC in another office room as it comes up that the signal is good but now the firewall is stopping me installing the BT HUB software package on the new PC.
Old 03-October-2006, 17:32
Screamager

Going on the fact that my 2700HGV is *unlocked*, try going to this page:

OR:

That should hopefully provide you with more of an insight of how to solve your firewall issues!.

Matt
Old 05-October-2006, 11:26
glenny

Hi, Just received a 2wire 2700HGV as I am moving ISP to BT Business and with my service it came free. I have an existing Netgear DG834GT and was going to continue to use this (as I have spent a long time understanding all its settings and configuration). However the spec on the 2Wire looked good until I saw comments on this forum! Looks like BT have stitched it up. I guess the only way is to upgrade the firmware but I cannot get access to the pages on the links below - can anyone help? Also would appreciate any feedback from people you have successfully upgraded the firmware and managed to make it BT free and of course are now TXing at 400mw. Thanks
Old 05-October-2006, 14:56
Screamager

Hi, Just received a 2wire 2700HGV as I am moving ISP to BT Business and with my service it came free. I have an existing Netgear DG834GT and was going to continue to use this (as I have spent a long time understanding all its settings and configuration). However the spec on the 2Wire looked good until I saw comments on this forum! Looks like BT have stitched it up. I guess the only way is to upgrade the firmware but I cannot get access to the pages on the links below - can anyone help? Also would appreciate any feedback from people you have successfully upgraded the firmware and managed to make it BT free and of course are now TXing at 400mw. Thanks
Originally Posted by glenny View Post
Hi there - yes I upgraded mine and I can get a full signal at the end of my street - about 400 metres away!!. I suggest you follow the instructions at the beginning of this thread, as the links above will only work (I think) on an UPGRADED 2700hgv.

PS: Don't expect Voice over IP to work once you've upgraded it, because it won't!.

Tags
2wire, broadband, bt, bt business hub, connection, dhcp, dns, email, firmware, flash, hgv, home, hub, internet, key, lights, lock, orange, phone, registration, router, screen, settings, share, software, sound, speed, speedtester, tiscali, voip, web, wireless

Show Printable VersionShow Printable Version
Email this PageEmail this Page