Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Hardware > ADSL Router Mods
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-May-2007, 13:22
ydrol

DefaultATTN: Moderators..re Unlocked Firmware for BT Business Hub thread

[ Unlocked Firmware For Bt Business Hub (2wire) 2700hgv]

Evidence seems to be emerging that the latest models from BT are bricked by the firmware upgrade.

However a LOT of sites/auctions etc link directly to that thread.

This is currently 18 pages long, and I suspect people eager to flash will not get to pages 16 before having a go.

This may reflect on your sites good name

You may want to add a note in bold to the first message of the thread. Words to the effect..

[Note from the-scream:
Evidence is emerging that some models BT Buisness Hubs are rendered inoperative following some advice posted by members in this thread.
We are not responsible for any damage to your hardware.
]

You may or may not want to encourage people to read ALL of the thread before flashing ( but that would look like you condone it, I guess it's how you want to play it...

Last edited by ydrol; 04-May-2007 at 15:03.
Old 04-May-2007, 20:08

DefaultRe: ATTN: Moderators..re Unlocked Firmware for BT Business Hub thread

We have the following in our sign up terms but i can see what you mean about the thread it is getting long now.

The Scream! takes no responsibility and will not be liable for any damage to hardware or loss of data from any software / firmware upgrades users of this forum may recommend it is down to you if you proceed and at your own risk.
Like any firmware up/downgrade you do so at your own risk.
Old 04-May-2007, 23:22

thanks for pointing it out,. hopefully ppl will read through and make their own minds up,. the thread has got a bit long though and perhaps ppl can start new threads with the specific info / issues and we can edit those into the top of the long thread ?

Sil
Old 13-May-2007, 15:27
ydrol

Hi mods'n' all, here is why a clear edit to the first message would be useful I think
Despite the subject line change people are still bricking their routers

https://the-scream.co.uk/forums/s...&postcount=269

Of course people should read properly, but how many of us read everything when we are rearing to go!
Old 13-May-2007, 15:40

People would still do it if it was on everypost. As we have said before it isnt our responsibility if they do a firmware upgrade, no one is forcing them.

The first post has been change to keep you happy it will not make a blind bit of difference.

Last edited by Scoobs; 13-May-2007 at 15:52.
Old 13-May-2007, 15:54
Screamager

I have edited the first post on both Hub threads, with a Warning message.

Other than that, there isnt much more we can do.
Old 13-May-2007, 15:55

you better do the rest of the internet as well JR LOL
Old 13-May-2007, 16:01
Screamager

Just covering my own backyard.
Old 14-May-2007, 01:32
ydrol

People would still do it if it was on everypost. As we have said before it isnt our responsibility if they do a firmware upgrade, no one is forcing them.

The first post has been change to keep you happy it will not make a blind bit of difference.
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
OK, please take this post with the good spirit intended, I just want to clarify a bit of confusion regarding the message, its purpose and its likely (in)effectiveness..

- . As I originally stated, I and everyone else knows (or should know) that flashing routers is at your own risk, every site on the internet that mentions flashing will usually mention flashing is at your own risk, it's 'par for the course' so to speak, but please read on ...

-. This particular thread is unusual in that it is many pages over a LONG period of time. The first 16 pages , are all about people having good flashes and everything being nice and dandy. No mention of bad flashes.

-. Only in the last 2-3 pages give very specific info in when a bad flash will occur.

-. OK now here is the bit I think I'm having trouble communicating so please bear with me ...

Flashing being at your own risk is a 'given', most people technical enough to flash are intelligent enough to understand the risk. Thats why adding the message to include 'flashing is at your own risk' does not , *in my opinion* bring any new information to the reader... I expect such warnings regardless of what I'm flashing.
The specifics are that a new model of the router, which is easily identified, is always bricked by this flash. That is the missing bit of information that, if it appeared on the first page, would, IMO, prevent the majority of the bad flashes that will continue to happen at present. As you rightly point out, just saying "flash at your own risk" will not make any difference.

-. The message as posted is not the message I originally suggested. I only labour the point because my suggested message was to indicate that

"new models WILL be disabled/bricked if using the firmware suggested in this post." and optionally this model can be identified by ..blah blah

This is a completely different 'message' to saying

"flash at your own risk".

The latter, is simply a warning that most of us *will* ignore anyway, otherwise nobody would flash at all. It doesnt actually convey the required message that this firmware will BRICK a known version router, everytime The size and colour of the message doesnt make any difference. It's the content ...

-. All I politely requested for was a simple commonsense but more importantly informative message. The energy and effort expended posting replies, and standard boiler-plate warnings (albeit large and red), and debating (quite correctly), how ineffective those vague warnings will be, exceeds that of putting a very specific warning which would , IMO be more effective.

-. I suspect It is one of you most heavily linked, heavily viewed threads.
It is the first link returned by Google when people want to find out how to unlock this popular router. (It even introduced me to your site!). In light of a firmware which WILL kill a known model of hardware, most sites would somewhere put a specific warning (Firmware XYZ will brick router ABC ) to this kind of post etc, and I though that would be a simple enough thing to do!

So I'm in agreement with the Mods. The message as it stands, wont make any difference. Because it doesn't tell anyone anything they don't already know.

However, I think if people are clued up enough to follow instructions of how to obtain the firmware and flash the 2wire, they can also understand a simple instruction , when not to flash it. (as it will be a certain kill) Unfortunately that information still does not occur until page 16ish, after 15 pages of glowing testimonials... Now even the best and brightest of us will NOT read all of such a thread, trying to pick out the 'gotcha's'

I'm slightly puzzled about the perceived resistance of putting a more clear 'dont flash if XYZ' message, but as I mentioned before this could be related to not wanting to condone the activity.

The first post has been change to keep you happy
No it hasn't (since you seem to care about my happiness, I feel obligated to help you achieve it ). This was just a suggestion, to benefit others, not myself, because I know that people will continue to KILL their routers because the relevant info. is still hard to find within the thread.

it will not make a blind bit of difference.
Agreed!

PS JohnnyReb51 I do appreciate that you took the time and effort to add a message regardless!
PPS I also understand if you all choose to do nothing further - just making my point, as I feel it has been mis-understood, I wont bore the forums with it anymore at this time!

Kind Regards,
Ydrol

Last edited by ydrol; 14-May-2007 at 02:12.
Old 14-May-2007, 03:58
Safe Sane Consensual

Thanks ydrol for your input and warning.

As one of the less techy participants in the forum I have read the threads on BT Home Hub and decided that if I were to consider BT Internet services I would have to opt for the BT Business Hub.

After reading part of the very long thread dealing with unlocking the Business Hub firmware I came to the conclusion that there were security risks to the unlocker and interference problems to neighbours (maybe an illegal increase in signal output?)

I didn't actually reach the posts dealing with the hardware being trashed by the unlocking procedures.

Whilst I agree with our mods there is a general health warning I am wondering if the unclocking thread should have advice from the moderators "Advanced users only". This is done in some computer magazines where procedures have procedures rated e.g. "Beginner" "Intermediate"

Maybe if the link to the thread concerned was clearly indicated in the first post of this thread this would stress the risk assessment of the initiator:-

Unlocking BT Home Hub **Upgrade at your own risk **

That being said I have found my security system prevents scripted windows being used to insert the web link and I have to give authority on The Scream every time I wish to insert a link. Whilst I can authorise all pop ups from The Scream I cannot seem to authorise scripted windows similarly. Wonder if ydrol had this problem too.

Perhaps this thread should be made a sticky whilst the original thread remains active.

Last edited by Worldlife; 14-May-2007 at 04:04.
Old 14-May-2007, 10:21
Screamager

@ Ydrol.

I understand where you are coming from.

If you want to create a warning notice, entailing what you see as an effective warning, then please do so, you can PM me the message and I will replace the message that is now in situ.

@ Worldlife.

"Advanced users only" is another good suggestion that could also be added to the warning message.

Unfortunately, a Sticky has no real affect, people still igore them and from experience on a few other forums, I have answered the exact same question numerous times. Many people cannot be bothered to read a Sticky and so post their own question, although the Sticky already contains the answer they want. Bit of a Catch 22 scenario. Lol.
Old 15-May-2007, 02:07
?????

Thanks for the advice ydrol. And please keep posting here too. Oh have you had a "welcome to The Scream" yet

"Thinking about what you might not be able to control, only wastes time and energy, till it eventually becomes your enemy."

Tags
2wire, bad, bt, bt business hub, bt home hub, computer, firmware, flash, forward, google, happiness, happy, health, hgv, home, home hub, hub, internet, line, lock, make, opinion, security, software, web, windows

Show Printable VersionShow Printable Version
Email this PageEmail this Page
Linear ModeSwitch to Linear Mode
Hybrid ModeHybrid Mode
Threaded ModeSwitch to Threaded Mode